Steering Creaking Noise (Left Wheel) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 13:26 Thread Starter
dw7

Car: Vivid Type-S 2.2
Creaking Noise (Left Wheel)

Hi all,

I'm just wanting to post about a noise coming from my car lately that seems to be getting worse. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what it is before I take it to Honda...

Everytime I turn left or right, there is this creaking noise from the left wheel. It's mainly louder when I turn right and obviously when going slower.

Presumably it is something to do with the tracking, as there are numerous pot holes everywhere. I have hit a few. Also what makes me think its that is that sometimes when I go over on to the white line, the steering moves slightly and bites out of my hand and it's definitely more prominent now than ever before.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments as it is the noise that concerns me most. I have just had a service a few weeks ago but either it wasn't spotted or it has developed since then.

Thanks.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 13:44

Car: 59 Championship White
Hi Dw7 Have you checked the wheel nuts. It's sounds silly but you only need 2 or 3 out the 5 to be lose.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope you get it sorted.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 13:57
pcr

Does this noise happen when turning the steering wheel at near standstill ? Does it happen when turning in a circle with the steering wheel held in a fixed position ? I would guess it is the top or bottom swivel joints.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 17:52

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw7 View Post
Hi all,

I'm just wanting to post about a noise coming from my car lately that seems to be getting worse. I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what it is before I take it to Honda...

Everytime I turn left or right, there is this creaking noise from the left wheel. It's mainly louder when I turn right and obviously when going slower.

Presumably it is something to do with the tracking, as there are numerous pot holes everywhere. I have hit a few. Also what makes me think its that is that sometimes when I go over on to the white line, the steering moves slightly and bites out of my hand and it's definitely more prominent now than ever before.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments as it is the noise that concerns me most. I have just had a service a few weeks ago but either it wasn't spotted or it has developed since then.

Thanks.

David
Since two days, i have the exact same thing, your describtion is exactly what i was going to write. I first noticed a weird noise when turning but didnt pay much attention as this car has many noises.
Today however the noise has become increasingly more pronounced and it even resulted in a bang coming from the left front of the car so i decided to investigate: turned radio and aircon off and then i noticed the horror.
The noise is actually a constant rubbery ticking noise when going slow, its constantly there, even on the flattest of roads. Hitting small potholes results in a little bang sometimes, dont know what the noise is when going over worse roads as the suspension itself makes just too much n oise then.
Turning is even worse, it then becomes a metal grinding/clicking noise. I'm now going out for a drive and try to locate the problem but i'm just fuming, this is AGAIN another issue. I may love my car because its my first ever and i might like the looks but reality is that this is the worst car i've ever driven. The suspension noises are gradually becoming louder then a boeing during lift off and one piece after another is failing.
I dont want to own this car when its warranty is over, i would be the biggest (and most expensive, apart from buying the damn piece of junk) mistake of my life. Its time to wave honda farewell and i wont be looking back to them.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 19:02

Car: 2006 1.8 5Dr EX Black
Hey,

For the last two days I have noticed the exact same on my 56' plate. My driveway is only accessible via a dirt track full of pot holes,,, maybe the cause?

I can here it most when parking / slow manoeuvring.

Just thought id ask on here to see if anyone has had the same issue. Quite surprised to see someone has opened a thread today. Will be interesting to hear what you guys find out. Hopefully going a garage soon also, to find the problem as I do a lot of motorway miles, so I'm a little concerned.

Dave
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 19:44

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch09 View Post
Hey,

For the last two days I have noticed the exact same on my 56' plate. My driveway is only accessible via a dirt track full of pot holes,,, maybe the cause?

I can here it most when parking / slow manoeuvring.

Just thought id ask on here to see if anyone has had the same issue. Quite surprised to see someone has opened a thread today. Will be interesting to hear what you guys find out. Hopefully going a garage soon also, to find the problem as I do a lot of motorway miles, so I'm a little concerned.

Dave
Been out for a drive and visit to a car mechanic. He was also a bit puzzled to what was causing this as the sound is not mechanical(good news i guess).
I did notice the sound wasnt always there when driving, it wasnt as pronounced as when i returned from work after the car stood still for an entire day.
We suspect it to be the support beam of the left front suspension which has a rubber and this could have cracked/broken which is causing the squeeky noise (rubber getting trapped in moving elements) or sometimes the more metalic noise (the two metal parts of the suspension just hitting each other when the rubber has moved a bit).
But we still dont know why the noise is not there anymore when doing higher speeds as that would result in higher stress on the suspension due to the higher speeds.
I do know that if it is indeed a rubber from the suspension this has to be changed asap as this can result in a suspension failure.
I'm gonna call my dealer in the morning and while its going in to get that noise sorted, i'm gonna let them diagnose the four shocks, as i find it hard to believe they are ment to make such banging.

I'll certainly keep this updated for other members suffering from the same.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 19:50

the noise you describe is stick/slip of the subframe. it is a known problem by honda and is caused by dirt inbetween the subframe and the subframe strengtheners. its not a massive job to do. simply involves loosening the subframe strenthener plates, cleaning out with brake cleaner etc and greasing up before re-fitting
Thanks to beefy_634 from:
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10th March 2010, 19:54

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy_634 View Post
the noise you describe is stick/slip of the subframe. it is a known problem by honda and is caused by dirt inbetween the subframe and the subframe strengtheners. its not a massive job to do. simply involves loosening the subframe strenthener plates, cleaning out with brake cleaner etc and greasing up before re-fitting
that would surprise me as i already had a recall 15 months ago on my car concerning the front subframe which could give a knocking noise (so i was told). They even replaced it without the car having the symptoms. None the less thx for the input, i'll point it out to them aswell tomorrow.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11th March 2010, 13:17 Thread Starter
dw7
** Thread starter **

Thanks for your comments guys. I've booked it in with the dealer tomorrow on my day off. Still should be covered by the additional 1 years warranty that came with it when I bought it used in September, so hopefully no cost.

Will keep you informed and you seem to be describing the exact same things as me.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11th March 2010, 13:23

Eco display Eco display
I have an arrangement monday morning for a diagnosis of the problem.
A shame as now i cant use the car in my weekend, the noise is just too awfull and i dont wont to wear other parts which are now (maybe) under more stress.
I hope tomorrow, you get a clear answer to what is causing this dw7, good luck!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12th March 2010, 13:03 Thread Starter
dw7
** Thread starter **

Well I took it in and they were clueless. They said they would need the car for a whole day to diagnose the problem but given that they had 45mins to check it out with me waiting in the showroom and found nothing, kinda suggests to me it's not completely urgent.

That said, I do not want my baby civic to be suffering and to get any worse so I may have to book it in one day next week.

Just baffled by this, how can a mechanic not know what it could be?
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12th March 2010, 13:58

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw7 View Post
Well I took it in and they were clueless. They said they would need the car for a whole day to diagnose the problem but given that they had 45mins to check it out with me waiting in the showroom and found nothing, kinda suggests to me it's not completely urgent.

That said, I do not want my baby civic to be suffering and to get any worse so I may have to book it in one day next week.

Just baffled by this, how can a mechanic not know what it could be?
Sorry to hear that, i was secretly hoping for a better outcome for you so i could point my dealer in the right direction. I guess i'm gonna suffer the same then on monday.
A shame as its quite a drive to and from my dealer.
Did they mention anything about being covered under warranty?
And i would be carefull assuming its not urgent, the problem on my car is becoming worse and worse and i'm only doing 12 km / day in it, when leaving in the morning for work, it creaks, rattles and bangs. The car IS suffering. I need a written and visual explanation after solving this issue, i even wanna see the part that is broken. I've taken most problems lightly but not anymore!!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 15th March 2010, 10:42

Eco display Eco display
I've been to the garage and had a quick drive with a mechanic to show the problem. I couldnt reproduce the noise as loud as it is in the morning but he could hear it though. He said he never had a civic which made that noise and he requested i dropped the car off fr a chechup the evening before they are going to check it so that they could drive it in the morning and hopefully the noise will be there. Car is going in this thursday evening.
His first thought was a rubber component which is faulty and in the morning when its still hard it makes the noise, driving a bit makes the rubber more flexible and the noise less pronounced.
i'm hoping they'll diagnose and repair it properly.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 15th March 2010, 20:29 Thread Starter
dw7
** Thread starter **

Yeah thanks woette. Sounds exactly like what's going on with me.
I will book my car in one day and drop it off one evening soon.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 15th March 2010, 22:06

if it is the noise i think you are describing. only happens first thing and then stops after a few mins, honda are still looking into a fix for it. it is a shame realy that the civics have had such a problem with knocks and noises from the suspention. its giving us technitions a rite headache!..no doubt some owners too!.......there is light at the end of the tunnel though. some civics have been known to not make any noises at all!!! to everyone having there cars looked at i would say be as patient as possible these noises can be sorted out!
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 16th March 2010, 09:34
Supporter

Car: Golf GTI
I was suffering a groaning/creaking on the left-hand front of the car when turning lock-to-lock, happened when the car had 10k on the clock so couldn't have been a worn-out component.

Dealer diagnosed and replaced front nearside strut assembly. Bit of a belt-and-braces fix to the problem but it worked and I didn't pay for it so can't complain
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 18th March 2010, 23:40

Car: 2006 2.2 5 door Milano Red
I had something similar on mine but the right hand side. The noise was definately coming from the black plastic disc thing on top of the shock. You can just about see it with the front jacked up. I was worse when the car was stationary and you turned from lock to lock. I wondered if some dirt had got in....
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 20th March 2010, 16:28

Eco display Eco display
Fixed but it may come back

The problem on my car has been diagnosed as the front subframe which had some dirt caught between two parts causing it to move and giving that knocking sound. (what beefy described earlier on in the thread)
My dealer first told me that it wasnt a permanent fix because honda are still working on a solution. When i arrived at the garage it was told the fix WAS permanent (??). I'm just gonna keep a close look if i hear the noise coming back. The car does feel a lot more gentle and stable at the front, much less noises when going over bumps, potholes, etc.

One other thing, my dealer told me this problem maybe wasnt covered under warranty but he was going to ask if he could get it covered by warranty, surely a problem like this is a warranty job?
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 21:14
Supporter

Car: 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo sport +
Landrover freelanders had the same problem with their rear subframes, same sort of thing,drop subfram clean and grease and re-fit.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 24th March 2010, 21:06

Car: 2006 1.8 5Dr EX Black
The Creaking on mine seems to have stopped over the last couple of days. I haven't changed anything that would make a difference just the normal commute... the only thing I can think of is we'v had some heavy rain a few days before, possibly the splash has cleaned the problem ?

I wont go the garage now unless the noise returns.

Just thought id give a quick update.

Dave

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page