2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Stiff / Sticky gear change

Transmission 
17K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Wilmo 
#1 ·
Hi there everyone,

I am having slight issue regarding to Stiff / Sticky gear change, it is not loose, it doesnt shake/rattle, just stiff gear change.
it is a 2.2 diesel civic type s gt, 2006, 34k miles

is it because its a diesel?
could it be gearbox fluid?
WD40 around the bottom of the gear stick 'ball'?

any help appreciated

#3 ·
it seems to be general movement with the gear stick! because everywhere i move in-gear or not has the same stickyness

#4 ·
no one has this issue?

i guess u all happy with your gear shift/general movement is not stiff?

#7 · (Edited)
My gearbox seems "stiffer" to select gears than any of the loan cars I have had. Dealer said there is no problem.
I find it very hard to change down from 6th to 5th, usually have to miss it and go to 4th.

I have a 2006 model too.
Terry

#9 ·
yes, sounds like the linkage/cabling needs a bit of TLC.

We had this done whilst trying to fix the issue of a very crap 3rd to 2nd gear shift and it did loosen up the stick, but did nothing to fix the actual problem.

This should resolve the stiffness you notice.

#11 ·
Nobody has mentioned changing gear box oil.
If you are still on the original oil from 2006 then it needs changing pronto.
The interval varies but could be 75k miles or 8 years depending on your model - so a bit overdue if not been done.

Also take the trim off that surrounds the gear lever - easy with a thin driver or trim tool and look at the cable linkages.
A bit of white spray grease on the cable ends that are visible may ease it a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.