Steering Metallic squealing noise when turning steering left... but only abit left. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 17th April 2010, 22:58 Thread Starter
Supporter

Metallic squealing noise when turning steering left... but only abit left.

Hi all,

I have 2007 3Dr Type-S 1.8 and recently have noticed the following issue and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

This issue happens intermittently and I've only started to notice it (might be something to do with the weather being dry and the windows being open)
  • When driving along at a constant 30-40MPH (might be doing this at higher speed, but its most noticable around this speed),
  • and put a steering adjustment from the 12 o'clock position to say around the 5 or 10'to position (as in make and hold a small correction to the steering to the left), the car makes a metallic squealing noise which is coming from the near side of the car (not sure if its the front or the rear)
  • If I turn the steering wheel further left or recenter the steering, the noise stops but obviously comes back when I make the steering correction to the left.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th May 2010, 12:34

Car: 2008 1.8 ES, NHB
Hi - yes I have just noticed this hence my visit today. The kids have usually got the music on so loud I'd not have had a chance to hear it so god knows how long it's been going on! I've replaced my front brake pads over the weekend, after noticing the noise, but doesn't seem to have made any odds. Will mention it to Honda as I have the clicky clutch pedal thing going on now so it'll be in for that anyway.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th May 2010, 12:51

Probably worn brake pads, probably the rear ones. If it is whatever you do don't get them replaced by Honda, they will put naff ones back on at twice the price of an independant.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th May 2010, 13:09
Supporter

Could be a drive shaft or a wheel bearing but it does need looking at to find out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th May 2010, 14:55

Car: 2008 1.8 ES, NHB
Rear pads does make sense - my passenger thought the noise was coming from the front but she has been wrong before!

My rear discs and pads have had it - almost nothing on the pads and the discs are scored to hell. Got replacements for both from EBC in the boot but mate with a winding tool is tied up til Thursday. Tried to relax the piston with a huge pair of curved pliers I have but it wouldn't budge.

I've got the car booked in with Barnsley Honda on Monday 10th to look at the creaky clutch pedal and this squeak. If the replacement pads don't cure the squeak I'll let you know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th May 2010, 23:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I got the rear pads replaced which sorted the problem in my case. Lucky really as the next thing to look at would of been the wheel bearing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 9th May 2010, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenray View Post
Hi all,

I have 2007 3Dr Type-S 1.8 and recently have noticed the following issue and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

This issue happens intermittently and I've only started to notice it (might be something to do with the weather being dry and the windows being open)
  • When driving along at a constant 30-40MPH (might be doing this at higher speed, but its most noticable around this speed),
  • and put a steering adjustment from the 12 o'clock position to say around the 5 or 10'to position (as in make and hold a small correction to the steering to the left), the car makes a metallic squealing noise which is coming from the near side of the car (not sure if its the front or the rear)
  • If I turn the steering wheel further left or recenter the steering, the noise stops but obviously comes back when I make the steering correction to the left.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It's your brake pads - I had the same thing. Apparently they are designed to squeal when they need replacing as warning lights can be ignored, but the squeals can't! Got mine replaced & no more noise.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page