Electrics External temperature sensor reading low - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2010, 20:33 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R GT Silver
External temperature sensor reading low

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem. The external temperature display on my 58 CTR has been reading low now for a few weeks. I think the lowest it has displayed was -27C when it was just about freezing. Today I estimate the temperature was around 15C and the display was -2C.

The local dealer changed the sensor this afternoon. When the keys were handed back the service guy mention it was still reading low +2C but he was sure the problem would resolve itself once the car had been driven for a few days??

Perhaps he was refering to the fact you get false readings below 19mph - I'm not sure. By the time I had got home it was displaying 10C but I know it was warmer outside than that, more like 15-16C.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks - Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2010, 20:42
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Showing too high temperatures is a fairly common fault, this is caused by the temperature sensor behind the bumper shorting out.
The solution is to replace the sensor.

Not heard about low temperatures, somehow the resistance would need to become to high I suppose.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 28th April 2010, 17:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2008 Type R GT Silver
Just an update on the low temperature problem - external sensor now changed and all appears to be back to normal. However, my wheel arch trim seems to be very poorly fitted on the N/S of the car. I can see from drawings in the workshop manual the trim is held on with a number of clips. The trim can be pulled away quite easy with your fingers for about 8 inches but I can't see if there's a problem with the trim or the clips. Is it possible to damage the trim or is it likely the clips just need replacing? I guess if I take the wheel off and the inner arch I could answer my own question!!

Anyone had this trim off and can advise me please?

Cheers Steve

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page