Electrics 2006 Honda Civic - ABS/VSA Check System Message - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 5th April 2018, 12:35 Thread Starter

Car: '06 FK2 Honda Civic
2006 Honda Civic - ABS/VSA Check System Message

I have a daily 2006 1.8 Honda civic (fk2) and last week after driving in an unavoidable puddle, the Check ABS and VSA system message has appeared. I have run a diagnostic, cleared all faults and the following still remains:

' 54-1 - Relay fail; safe relay fail '

Does this mean the ABS relay in the exterior fuse box is faulty and needs replacing? Battery was replaced about 8 months ago so cant see this being the issue (as I have read low voltage can be an issue). Anyone with an FN2 or same generation civic had this issue?

Update: Had this issue for a while now and MOT is due so time to get this sorted. See the image attached below. I have tried to remove the ABS/VSA black plastic box fuse as per the diagram - this is #3 for the VSA/ABS - is this the relay? No luck with it as I removed the screw but it won't move at all - is there a way of taking this out/how do you remove this? And where can I get a replacement as I believe this is the best place (and cheapest) to start in solving the issue.

All other fuses seem fine on inspection including the interior fuse box - #4 ABS unit fuse.

All input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th April 2018, 12:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Anyone able to help?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th April 2018, 12:35
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
never came across this one but if its saying relay failure its a good place to start
if you cant get 1 at reasnoble price try a scrap yard

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th April 2018, 20:36
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
Got the same (intermittent) for probably the same reason (drove through the ford at Kenilworth Castle last weekend).

I was suspecting a sensor failure but no codes for those, which I assumed would be saved and not deleted on the next start) so I'm suspecting a battery on the way out as I have a low voltage code as far as I can make out - PA50 B1177 and an open recirc flap code PA51 B2983...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Skomaz; 8th April 2018 at 20:43.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 9th April 2018, 10:22
Supporter

once you have undone the screw on that fuse just pull upwards to remove
it'l be tight but it will come out
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10th April 2018, 14:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So I have had the car checked over by a local garage also and the same code was thrown up (54-1) and nothing additional. If it were to be sensors or battery related, this would throw up a code right so I won't be chasing those parts.

As far as I am aware, the relay is part of the ABS module / pump if I am correct? So I will probably be replacing the pump and seeing how that goes.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page