Road Noise Rear dragging / scraping noise at 80+ mph - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2018, 12:07 Thread Starter

Rear dragging / scraping noise

Hi all, I've recently noticed there is a strange scraping noise that only appear when driving at 80-85mph on a private road (50 miles+). It sounds as if something is being dragged along the road - The best description I can provide is imagine going over a bump and you hear the front/back bumper scrap the road.

The noise comes from the rear (seems to be driver side rear / middle of the car), and first appeared in January this year. I've looked under the car when parked and haven't spotted anything hanging off. When the noise happens, there is no reduction in speed/acceleration however, I reduce the speed to 75mph and the noise then immediately disappears.

I've noticed the noise only appears on if travelling above 80mph and where the journey is longer than 50 miles. I've only done 2 journeys at that speed and distance - in January this year, and then again on Saturday 21 April.

The noise does not appear when driving in the city or on country roads, or when turning a corner or braking.

I thought it was the tyres at first (which were low) and got 4 new Goodyear tyres put on 2 weeks ago - so I'm sure it's not the tyres. I am getting the brake discs and pads changed next weekend at the same time as MOT.

I'm unsure what's causing the noise - has anyone experienced anything similar?

Last edited by NS_15; 24th April 2018 at 10:25. Reason: as Lenny Henry would say, "that would be a bit British Telecom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2018, 12:09
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
You mean when you were doing 80 - 85 on a private road or track never on the motorway, as Lenny Henry would say, "that would be a bit British Telecom" that would.
Thanks to nturnb from:
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2018, 12:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by nturnb View Post
You mean when you were doing 80 - 85 on a private road or track never on the motorway, as Lenny Henry would say, "that would be a bit British Telecom" that would.
Haha, thanks - have now edited

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Tags
grinding , noise , scraping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page