Steering Powered streering noise HELP!!!!! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th May 2010, 07:33 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 2.2 5door cosmic Grey
Powered streering noise HELP!!!!!

Where do you fill the hydraulic steering oil ? As i have a griding noise like the pump is dry, it happens when i turn the wheel left or right, and is getting worse, have had it up on the ramp and there is nothing that i can see slight floating in the steering rack but thats all.

If anyone can shed some light on this, i would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th May 2010, 07:56

Car: 2008 2.2 CTDI SE
are ther any hydraulic pipes on the rack? If not then it will be driven by an electric motor, as are a lot of cars post 2005.
if you're not sure get it to your local garage to get it checked out properly before anything goes really wrong!
Thanks to Ex Clubber from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th May 2010, 07:57
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
There's no hydraulic pump, but electric steering on the civic. In the steering rack itself, there's a tightening screw that (if tightened too much) can make a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel maximum left/right). I've had my dealer tighten twice, because it has become loose. Could be worth have the dealer check.
Thanks to morten from:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 15th May 2010, 16:17
Supporter

Car: 2010 BMW 520D SE
I've been getting a similar noise from the steering. Only hear it when moving very slowly (5mph) or car is stopped and when I turn the wheels left or right. Its not very loud at all and its a bit like when a hydraulic steering pump runs out of oil. Any ideas what it could be? I've just had a new set of front brake pads and discs and the back ones are good too so it cant be the brakes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 16th May 2010, 11:42

I got this noise too but the dealers said it was nothing and said they couldn't hear anything!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th May 2010, 08:02
Supporter

Car: 2010 BMW 520D SE
hi all,

Im definitely getting a noise when i steer but you can only hear it if you are stopped or mocing slowly. Strage thing is i only hear the noise when turning left from centre cant hear anything turning right. Im also begining to wonder if its getting louder its like a slight whine at the moment.

Also noticed today that when the car is stopped and the ignition is in I position i can feel a very very slight vibration through the steering this goes away when i turn off the ignition. Its almost like a small motor running the vibration i felt. Now i dont know if this is normal in the civic and i just havent noticed till today.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks
MalithS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2010, 16:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 2.2 5door cosmic Grey
Can't find anything

Just so you know, have had the car into the dealer and they say nothing is wrong with it. took it to my local garage (Leven street motors in alexandria) and they say that there is a slight float on the steering tack but nothing major front pads will be changed onto the green stuff this weekend coming, shall see if that sorts it.

keep the reports coming.

cheers

georgius
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2010, 17:35
Supporter

Car: Civic Type-Red
If you had read the civic owners manual it says that its normal that steering keeps sound if it gets overheated when you turn it too hard at low speeds.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations-8g/40897-powered-streering-noise-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback 13th April 2012 08:42
Untitled document This thread Refback 4th October 2010 13:32