Engine EML - Coolant System - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 10:53 Thread Starter

EML - Coolant System

Hi All,

1.8 Civic ES Mk8 (2006)

Bit of back story as to how I've come to the below conclusion, in case anyone has any further advice/ wisdom/ knowledge to impart:

A month or so ago I had the EML come on, booked into a local garage and in their words "it's showing 2 faults, one is the lambda sensor, the other is the coolant system". I didn't ask to see the codes, although I wish I had. As it wasn't clear exactly which code it was, and the car showed no symptoms, code was cleared just to see how it went. Day after next the EML came back on. Given that the coolant level was fine, engine wasn't overheating, and the fan was working, I assumed it was the lambda. Left it a few days and the EML went off of its own accord.

Fast forward to last week, EML comes back on, my assumption is that it will be one of the same codes again. This time however the fan is running a lot, even from cold on some days. Again, look in radiator cap, coolant full. Ergo, probably the temp. sensor. EML has now gone off again, however the fan seems to still be running a lot.

Am I on the right track, or could it be a relay (something I've read)?

Thanks for any and all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 11:08
Supporter

if you have you AC/climate control switched on the coolant fans will still kick in when the engine is cold

does the temp sensor behave as it should and give you the same reading it always has ?

in your position i would either invest in a cheap OBD reader ( make sure it works with honda ) or one of the buetooth obd readers if you have an android phone or tablet and use a program called torque

with that you read the fault codes yourself and monitor the engine temps live to see whats going on
Thanks to cosmicma from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 11:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

With the A/C off, I'm aware of the separate fans.

Reading is the same, so my guess is at least one of them is working.

And funnily enough, I've just ordered a '0D2 Scanner Bluetooth 4.0' from Amazon!

Thanks for the help, as you say, think I'll just check the codes and monitor it. Definitely noticed fuel consumption decreasing.

Whilst I'm here, and to save starting a separate thread, how essential is it for drop-links to be torqued as per guidelines? I don't like buying cheap tools, but I've never needed to use a torque wrench before, so difficult to justify the investment. Worth just biting the bullet for this?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 17:22
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFish View Post

Whilst I'm here, and to save starting a separate thread, how essential is it for drop-links to be torqued as per guidelines? I don't like buying cheap tools, but I've never needed to use a torque wrench before, so difficult to justify the investment. Worth just biting the bullet for this?
if you are sensible when you tighten them up you should be ok

the figures for the drop links are 25 /27ft lb torque or in new money 34 / 37 N-m which isn't thread stripping tight if you get what i mean, a reasonable tug on the spanner should be all that's needed
Thanks to cosmicma from:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 15:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
if you are sensible when you tighten them up you should be ok

the figures for the drop links are 25 /27ft lb torque or in new money 34 / 37 N-m which isn't thread stripping tight if you get what i mean, a reasonable tug on the spanner should be all that's needed
Thanks cosmicma, as I had hoped.

So I received the scanner, the only fault code showing is P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, which is annoying, as I assume that it's either the lambda or the Cat itself on the way out! But that's another story... That was the only code and there were no historic codes stored.

The fan is still running constantly. Could it be a relay? Or is it worth replacing both sensors anyway? Could one fail without showing a code?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 16:47
Supporter

which fan is running constantly ?
is it spinning at half speed or full speed ?

the fan nearest the radiator is the AC fan and the fan set off the radiator is the coolant fan or if your stood in front of the car the one on the left is the AC fan and the one on the right is the coolant fan

knowing which fan is constantly spinning would narrow down things to check
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 29th May 2018, 12:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
I've just checked from cold and it is both running constantly, with A/C off and with it on. Turning the A/C on didn't see to increase the fan speed of the left fan (looking at the car).

I can't see a measurement for fan speed on the Torque Lite app, how would I gauge whether they're at half or full?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 16:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
is it spinning at half speed or full speed ?

the fan nearest the radiator is the AC fan and the fan set off the radiator is the coolant fan or if your stood in front of the car the one on the left is the AC fan and the one on the right is the coolant fan

knowing which fan is constantly spinning would narrow down things to check
Do you think I should start by replacing relays then sensors?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Tags
coolant , eml , fan , sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page