Leaks Big puddle of oil under my FN2 CTR this week - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 02:37 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
Big puddle of oil under my FN2 CTR this week

Just to let you all know really, issue has been resolved now but read on...

I got back to my car at the end of work on Thursday. I usually do a basic pre-flight check, look at the body work check it hasn't been dinged in the day, check the tyres and so on.

Noticed a few drops of something front the front of the rear arch lining. I thought, great... brake line. Got down to look under the car and oil was dripping pretty much from under neath the full length of the car. I'd had last driven it on a job about 3 hours ago.

Main pool seemed to be located around the back of the engine. Went back into work and got some tissue and checked my oil level. Pretty much exactly the same as when I last checked it (my FN2 doesn't drink much oil yet...).

I started thinking, feck what is it? I ring my local Honda dealer and they say whatever you do don't drive it. If you cease the engine it's thousands to fix, get it recovered.

Now I'll go into a bit of rant, so bare with it.

I get AA included with my bank account, so I ring them up, telling them that it's leaking oil, I can't drive it and I need recovering to the dealer. They say not a problem, we'll have someone out in about an hour. 2 hours later a non-AA third party recovery turns up, doesn't even look at the car because it's still under warranty and he doesn't want to touch it.

He loads it on the back of the recovery wagon and we set off. 5 minutes later, his boss rings and tells him that my bank supplied AA only covers me for roadside and not relay (recovery). He's chatting back on the phone saying, "It can't be driven, it's dumped it's oil." This is quickly turning into a scam I fear. He pulls over at the nearest retail park and tells me he can't take me any further unless I get onto the AA and upgrade my cover.

I ring the AA and they and 130 to upgrade. This includes an additional 60 that they levy because I'm upgrading already being in a break-down situation.

I tell them I'll ring my bank and get back to them. I ring my bank and they confirm what AA said, but they do have a platinum account that includes AA cover with Relay. Great, sign me up! So as I'm on the phone to the bank the tow company guy (Flyde Motor Company if anyone's interested) says he's going to have to get it off the back and go on another recovery as there are two more waiting and he'll come back when he's done them. I'm on the phone and trying to be p!$$ed off with him, but to no avail. I'm left on a retail park with a load of Corsa boys, broken down at 8.30pm...

I get upgraded at the bank, and ring the AA back. Their response is, erm sorry it takes 24 hours for our information to come in from the bank, but basically since you upgraded when you are already in a break-down situation, it's still 130. I'm absolutely fuming by this point, I'd phoned them originally at 5.30pm. He then says my existing cover will allow me to be towed up to 5 miles to a local garage and they will then fix it in the morning. I reply that the car is still under warranty so if it's a manufacturer fault I don't want to have to pay out for something Honda would fix.

At this point I hear him mutter something like, "Oh ****" under his breath and he says, Erm I was looking at your reg number and wondering if you still had warranty. I said yep I do until 24th September. He then said, oh well you are covered under HondaCare which we administer so you get free recovery and a courtesy car. Why didn't they say that 3 hours ago!!!

He says a recovery will be with you in 30 minutes (a bit quicker). So I slope of to the McDonalds on the retail park. Pretty much just about finishing my New Orleans and the van turns up. Proper AA man this time.

He jacks the car up straight away to have a look. On talking to him later, the AA men get a bonus for fixing cars at the roadside and they have approval of most car manufacturers, including Honda to make fixes that are covered under warranty etc.

30 seconds later, he bobs out from under the car and says. Your gearbox sump plug is missing... WHAT?!??!! He also said there was no way the gearbox sump plug would just fall out, it must not have been tightened up properly last time it was taken off. If I'd have been on the motorway when it dropped out and carried on, he said it would have locked up the box and it would have been knackered, including the likelyhood of a nasty accident. Instantly remember that it was into the Honda dealership 2 months ago to get 3rd gear replaced for popping out/grinding under warranty. Basically my dealer's fault...

He said nothing for it, it's going to have to be towed.

At this point I'll mention that on my way back to work earlier in the day, when I last drove it, I heard a bang from under the car that I assumed must have been a stone. This must have the the plug dropping out and bouncing up hitting the underside of the car. I had driven it half to one mile with the plug out, but it must have had plenty of oil left in the box judging by the pool under the car when I noticed it. (lucky)

Anyhow, the AA guy was great, chatting all the way back, he had an 07 Megane Team F1 so the conversation was good, couldn't fault this guy.

Got to the dealers and of course the gates are locked, so had to leave my baby on the road outside the dealers overnight. I didn't sleep a wink, and was straight round there at 8am on Friday morning.

To the dealer's credit they admitted that the sump plug would not have come out on it's own. They filled the box back up, cleaned the underside of the car (the additives on the oil can be damaging to certain components they said) and gave it a test drive. They bumped their booked in work and had it back to me in 2 1/2 hours.

To be honest all seems well. No odd noises or dodgy changes. I did get an assurance from them that if it does start making any odd sounds or I have selection issues they will take it back in and fix whatever is wrong with it, upto and including a new box if needed.

As a 'we're sorry' gesture I got this:

Better than a kick in the whatsits.

Anyhow, be warned!!! Check your car for leaks before you drive it and make sure you know what cover you have with the AA!!

Last edited by Loxy; 22nd May 2010 at 12:45. Reason: Forum Rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 07:25
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Glad youve got it fixed but why didnt you ring Honda to get it recovered?
Its included in your warranty!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 08:09
Supporter

Car: '59 CTR, Black, satnav & hft
Blimey, quite a story - glad all got resolved in the end, but stressful at the time no doubt.

My last car but one (pre-Honda days, what I fool I was!) had AA cover as part of the warranty and let's just say it was the Friday afternoon car - new, but constantly breaking down -usually electrical and alarm / starter related faults.

I lost count of how many times the AA came out to get me moving again and they were consistently excellent - those guys work really hard and I'd recommend them every time.

Hope that's an end to your troubles now!

Nick

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 08:15
Supporter

Honda assist would have been my first point of call.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 08:58
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
The same thing happened to me in my type S. Purchased the car (secondhand 08 plate) from the dealers, it had just been serviced and after a few days dumped the oil all over my driveway. After some 'discussions' and checks it was found to be the same problem as yours. Lucky no damage. For my troubles I got a type S grille half price and fitted free ........... and a big stain on my driveway!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 09:12
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec SR, Red
Why didn't you use the Honda breakdown cover you must have at least 3 months left on it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 09:34
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenP View Post
Why didn't you use the Honda breakdown cover you must have at least 3 months left on it?
Indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 10:22 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
Cheers for the replies, I just hope that's the end of it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh339 View Post
Honda assist would have been my first point of call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenP View Post
I'll know for if it ever breaks down again!

It was never explained that I had Honda Assist when I bought the car, nor when we got the wife's EX which is an 08 which we bought when it was 9 months old. I should be having a word with the salesmen really shouldn't I?!

Last edited by Loxy; 22nd May 2010 at 10:24.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 10:55

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
Quite a story!

I never knew about the Honda Assist either, so you're definitely not alone.

Glad it ended well!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2010, 11:16
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,570 Posts
Garage
same thing happened to me i bought a renault many years back which was 9 months old i took out the AA home start as you never know especially being a renault ,few months later one of my coils packed up so i called the AA out he comes with a new coil and fits it at this point i'm very confused he explained you get three years AA cover with your warranty and if we can fix it we will ,luckily for me i got part refund from the AA when i explained.you think when i bought the cover they would of said i'm already covered.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page