Electrics Civic intermittent start faults PO602 & B1168 - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny007

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th August 2018, 15:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Civic intermittent start faults PO602 & B1168

Hi Guys,

I have a honda civic 2.2 diesel 1998, currently facing intermittent starting problems, when not starting, EML light followed by VSA and AIRBAG warning light comes on. On cooler days the car seems to start as normal with no faults on dash. Scanner reveals codes PO602 and B1168. I've put in a new battery and cleaned all earthing points, also disconnected and reconnect the ECU, but the problem still persists, any help welcome as this car is now driving me bonkers.

Regards
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th August 2018, 16:39
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Did you delete these stored fault codes? They aren't 'real' until they come back!

Did the starting problem begin at the same time as the VSA and airbag warning lights issue?

Anyone done any work on your car that may have made this happen?

Is this a 2008 8th gen model?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th August 2018, 16:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hi Jon thanks for your reply, yes faults deleted multiple time but it keeps coming back. I’m somewhat clued up with cars but this one has got me scratching my head. Once the lights appear on dash it doesn’t start and but when it doesn’t it starts up 1st go. Yes 8th gen

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12th August 2018, 16:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Forgot to mention this problem only started after a flat battery, have sinced replaced with new one
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th August 2018, 08:43
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
As you obviously already know, a bad connection/earth somewhere seems to be a possible cause. Unfortunately this may be inside an ECU and is somehow affecting the CANbus system (the engine, airbag and ABS/VSA do not use the same ECU).

It's a rare problem but I see these error codes do pop up in search results on other Honda forums. The trigger incident of replacing the car battery might seem like an unlikely cause, however Civic ECUs are known for suffering damage due to the electrical surge caused by the wipers freezing to the windscreen, or connecting up a jump-start with the ignition turned on. So they are vulnerable in this regard.

I wish I could be more helpful.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th August 2018, 11:57
Clutch pedal guru

If you turn ignition off then back on again does it start first time? Might be worth just living with it until it does die?

As Jon said, it could be an ECU related fault
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th August 2018, 00:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hi Jon thanks for your knowledgeable response.

The car had been parked up for two months plus. The battery went flat, so her neighbour helped her jump start the car, not sure if the key was in the ignition at this point.

They couldn’t get it started so called for recovery, they also had a stab at it, no luck.

Once in my possession I took it as a simple flat battery as the vehicle had been standing for so long. So fully charged the battery as it was cranking over very slowly. Next day cranked over with a charged battery but it went flat within seconds. Two cells were bubbling so had to replace the battery.

Now the car turned over nicely but didn’t start when EML was on. However I did notice a pattern it started up on cooler days like 1st thing in the mornings. And yes on 2nd turns it sometimes fired up, but rarely.

I have so far cleaned all earth points I could find, including checked and cleaned fuses. Also removed ecu plug to check for connection issues but still no luck. Even opened up the ecu to see if I could see any dry joints internally, obviously taking extra care from static.

I’ve taken your advise and will be sending the ecu for testing, I’ll report back on its verdict.

Thanks for all your responses guys
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th August 2018, 00:32 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Colinmb member here had exactly the same issue last year, I’ve emailed him to see if he ever got it fixed.
Jon_G likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 25th May 2019, 18:48

Hi guys I'm new on this forum. I read all problem what Danny007 had last year in 2018 with his Honda. I have excatly same now with my 2009 cdti and don't know what is wrong. If this about ECU software? Thank you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2019, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
As you obviously already know, a bad connection/earth somewhere seems to be a possible cause. Unfortunately this may be inside an ECU and is somehow affecting the CANbus system (the engine, airbag and ABS/VSA do not use the same ECU).

It's a rare problem but I see these error codes do pop up in search results on other Honda forums. The trigger incident of replacing the car battery might seem like an unlikely cause, however Civic ECUs are known for suffering damage due to the electrical surge caused by the wipers freezing to the windscreen, or connecting up a jump-start with the ignition turned on. So they are vulnerable in this regard.

I wish I could be more helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny007 View Post
Hi Jon thanks for your knowledgeable response.

The car had been parked up for two months plus. The battery went flat, so her neighbour helped her jump start the car, not sure if the key was in the ignition at this point.

They couldnít get it started so called for recovery, they also had a stab at it, no luck.

Once in my possession I took it as a simple flat battery as the vehicle had been standing for so long. So fully charged the battery as it was cranking over very slowly. Next day cranked over with a charged battery but it went flat within seconds. Two cells were bubbling so had to replace the battery.

Now the car turned over nicely but didnít start when EML was on. However I did notice a pattern it started up on cooler days like 1st thing in the mornings. And yes on 2nd turns it sometimes fired up, but rarely.

I have so far cleaned all earth points I could find, including checked and cleaned fuses. Also removed ecu plug to check for connection issues but still no luck. Even opened up the ecu to see if I could see any dry joints internally, obviously taking extra care from static.

Iíve taken your advise and will be sending the ecu for testing, Iíll report back on its verdict.

Thanks for all your responses guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow75 View Post
Hi guys I'm new on this forum. I read all problem what Danny007 had last year in 2018 with his Honda. I have excatly same now with my 2009 cdti and don't know what is wrong. If this about ECU software? Thank you

I have the same problem but I changed the ECU for a second-hand one and it only worked for 3 days, then it reappeared again.

Have you done something different or a cloning of the second-hand ECU?

I read that it can be a fuse housed in the part of the wipers ... my car does not even start or has communication with the ECU

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page