Engine Won't start on first push FN2 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th September 2018, 19:47 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Won't start on first push FN2

I know there is a possible issue with the flywheel on the early FN2 CTR but hope my 11 reg has not got it too (good job I have used approved warranty just in case).

About twice a month it fails to start on the first push of the button but fires perfectly on the second with no delay - seems to have got more frequent in the last month, car has only done 41k miles.
On the first push the radio/clock display lights go out and the rest of the dash dims as you would expect when starting. All I have live is the radio & fan on low.
However all I get is a faint whirr which could be the fuel pump since that is somewhere under the centre console, there is no clicking sound that you might expect from a duff starter solenoid or the sort of sound I would expect from a free spinning starter motor.

If the flywheel is the problem I would expect total start failure since the teeth that are not engaging with the starter on first push would not have moved and a second push would only have the motor trying to engage with the same place.
The battery was replaced back in March at the last service by Honda dealer 4k miles ago, so should not be a power problem.

Could this be a duff solenoid just not passing current to the motor or the motor not coming forward to engage with the flywheel or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 13th September 2018, 08:19
Supporter

first thing to look at would be the battery terminals make sure they are tightened up properly and then check the earth straps to the body and engine / gearbox for a proper connection
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 13th September 2018, 08:28
Clutch pedal guru

First thing I'd check is make sure the starter motor is getting 12V every time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 13th September 2018, 18:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Thanks, its a pain when the problem is so intermittent.
Going to Honda dealer on Saturday to let them deal with it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 16th September 2018, 11:03
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 5 door EX
Sounds like the K20 sneeze to me. I thought they might have sorted it by the FN2 but my EP3 does it probably once every 10 starts. DC5s did it too but obviously they're the same era as the EP3. Have a Google for K20 sneeze.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page