Damage FN2 TYPE R burnt in front of me 😞 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st September 2018, 09:23 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I bought my NHB FN2 last month and loved the car, it cost me 7000 in cash to buy and had 57k on the clock with the cleanest M.O.T history I had ever seen ( never failed only ever had 1 advisory ).

I had driven the car for only 1500 miles before the front passenger fog light went up in flames, leaving the car as an absolute wreck.

You can see on the images that the flame started from the fog, I believe there is only electrical components in that area of the car which could catch on fire.

Anyway, I am going to be after getting another NHB FNW but 3500 out of pocket 😞 does anyone know if it's a common fault for the fogs to ignite like that as it may sway my next car decision.

Also, would it be worth looking in to buying it back and getting it repaired rather than claiming the money back ?
I don't care if it will get labelled as a CAT as I don't intend on selling the car until it's at 110k+ or it dies.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180921_092453_1537518379254.jpg (109.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20180921_092511_1537518416410.jpg (103.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20180921_092749_1537518495368.jpg (79.3 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Harry Robinson; 21st September 2018 at 09:28. Reason: Blurring numberplate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st September 2018, 10:18
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
I've not seen anything like this before and it seems odd that you would photograph this and that wouldn't be my first reaction.

Were you driving with any lights on? Odd that the fuse didn't blow and prevent this.

If your car has HID's then that's high voltage and temp's, which might have failed.

Do you have any aftermarket lights/bulbs fitted?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st September 2018, 15:00
Clutch pedal guru

Did the circuit have a fuse on it? Either that or aftermarket bulbs causing the issue? I've seen increased wattage bulbs melt connectors before.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2018, 16:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
I've not seen anything like this before and it seems odd that you would photograph this and that wouldn't be my first reaction.

Were you driving with any lights on? Odd that the fuse didn't blow and prevent this.

If your car has HID's then that's high voltage and temp's, which might have failed.

Do you have any aftermarket lights/bulbs fitted?
Yeah I just panicked when it happened to be honest and my first reaction after trying to kick the fog light out and call the fire brigade was to take photos for insurance.

I did have the fogs and headlights on at the time, I got my dad to have a look at it shortly after the fire had been extinguished and he said the sub frame may have been rubbing on the wires over time and it could have sparked the insulation. But he is not a mechanic at the end of the day so I'm unsure how accurate that is.

All bulbs and everything on the car appeared to be standard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2018, 16:30
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Robinson View Post
Yeah I just panicked when it happened to be honest and my first reaction after trying to kick the fog light out and call the fire brigade was to take photos for insurance.

I did have the fogs and headlights on at the time, I got my dad to have a look at it shortly after the fire had been extinguished and he said the sub frame may have been rubbing on the wires over time and it could have sparked the insulation. But he is not a mechanic at the end of the day so I'm unsure how accurate that is.

All bulbs and everything on the car appeared to be standard.
A live bare wire rubbing would create a short which should blow a fuse.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2018, 16:32
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Doesn't look very foggy in your pic. Why on earth did you have your fog lights on?

The Highway Code says that you should only use your fog lamps when the visibility drops below 100m. If you're not sure when that is, a good rule of thumb is to work out whether you can see the tail lights of the car in front of you. If you can't, you (and they) should probably be using rear fog lamps.

See HERE Rule 236 applies.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page