Music Radio reception improvement - Civinfo
 11Likes
  • 6 Post By uotymab
  • 4 Post By Kremmen
  • 1 Post By Das

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 07:49 Thread Starter

Radio reception improvement

The radio in my wife's 58 plate 1.8 SE Civic hatch, was experiencing the all too common, poor radio reception problem, with stations losing tune. As many people have pointed out on this forum, poor earthing of the aerial, contributes to the reception problem. I have improved the reception in my wife's car, by cleaning all of the connections to the aerial amplifier (including the earth). I didn't touch the aerial cable which runs from the back to the front of the car, or the head unit itself.

The aerial amplifier is in the tailgate, on the nearside vertical edge. by the rear window. Getting to it, is a bit of a pain. The two horizontal trim pieces have to be removed first (pulling them towards you with some force, and expect some of the trim clips to stay in the tailgate, rather than coming off with the trim pieces, as they should). You can then remove the nearside vertical trim piece (again some force is required).

I don't have enough posts to include a link to any pictures of the aerial amplifier, but if you Google search for 'Honda Civic Antenna Booster 39155-SMG-E020-M1', you will find plenty.

There are 4 connections to the aerial amplifier:

- 2 wires/connectors coming out of it (which attach to the lugs on the rear screen, for the aerial)
- 1 wire/connector plugging into it (which sends the signal to the head unit)
- 1 earth wire/connector plugging into it, which connects to that little metal lug on the unit itself (like the lugs on the rear screen).

I just unplugged the lot, and cleaned all of the connectors and lugs, with WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray (available from Halfords and safe for plastics)

I gave all of the lugs a good wipe with some kitchen roll soaked in the stuff, sprayed it into all of the connectors, dried all of the connectors, then plugged and unplugged all of the connectors a few times (to make certain that there was good contact). This seems to have improved the radio reception a fair bit.

The trim pieces are a lot easier to put back, than they were to get off !
Thanks to uotymab from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th September 2018, 08:41
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Only 3 posts in 9 years
uotymab, M8TJT, Trev27 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:58
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
My job for tomorrow I think.
Kremmen likes this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page