AC/Heater AC heater controls - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th October 2018, 22:10 Thread Starter

AC heater controls

Hey folks

First time poster here but been lurking in the background for a while!
This is the 3rd time I've written this post as the app kept crashing near the end of my post!

Here goes again! I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I've got. Recently bought a 2008 CTR (89k on the clock) and the AC heater control unit has stopped working. I have no fan, temp, demist (front or rear) and the fan settings no longer show on the clock/radio display. It's as if the OFF button has been pressed. When I turn the headlights on the controls light up still. I noticed at the same time as this fault the external temp reading stopped showing too and now reads "---".

I've done as much research on this as I can, mainly from this forum and YouTube vids etc. Ive checked all fuses inside and under bonnet and all seem ok. I know driver side fuse 14 is for the HAC and power mirrors that fuse is ok and my power folding mirrors still work. I've tested voltage on fuse 12 under bonnet which gets a constant 12v.
I've read about the resistor fuse and tonight discovered where that should be located so I've got that to look forward to. But up until then I came to the conclusion that it was the heater control unit that was at fault. I bought a 2nd hand one and fitted today but that didn't make any difference at all.

I think I only have a cpl of options left:
1. Replace / test that resistor fuse thing
2. Test heater control unit power (loom)?
2. Focus investigations to external temp sensor maybe that caused it all?
3. Admit defeat and put into garage for further investigation.
4. Cry into a pillow due to #3

I'm at a loss as she's my daily driver and having to drive with windows down ALOT to clear the windscreen isn't fun. And is defo not fun in the rain! The only upside is I get to listen to that engine sound instead of my music!

Can anyone help me test further or confirm yeah fix the fuse and you'll be laughing! Is there a way to test the heater control unit when it's out the car with a psu providing power to the reqd pins? It doesn't have any blown circuit marks either.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th October 2018, 22:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Couldn't upload video clip

Last edited by Danger_type-r; 17th October 2018 at 22:19.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th October 2018, 09:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Bump!
Has anyone seen anything like this before? I really am stuck and would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2018, 18:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi,
Had a go at trying to find the resistor fuse thing tonight that I believe protects the blower motor? Anyway, can anybody confirm if this is it? It's located immediately to the left of the clutch pedal.

Many thanks
Dave

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 08:17
Supporter

Did you manage to get this solved?

I can confirm that what you were looking at is the resistor. I replaced mine recently but it didn't fix my issue!! I bought a 2010 a few weeks back and also have to drive with the windows down to keep the windows from fogging—not fun in the west of Scotland.

I'll make my own thread at some point soon, but I think my next step is to change the actual blower motor. I wanna do some more fault-finding before dropping £70-100 on eBay, though. I'll probably refer back to you at some point, since you're also having issues with the heating.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 08:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your reply, Yeah its definitely not fun, I'm just outside of Glasgow myself and share your pain. I still have the problem, Ive since found a guide online that might help you with your trouble shooting, it helped me to an extent but there's only so much I could do myself without any proper sparky skills and very limited space to work!

Have you tested/checked the fuse #14 driver side door well? Its shared with power folding mirrors, if your mirrors fold then it's probably fine. But follow the tests in the link, hope it helps.

Anyways, I ran out of time and had to put it into a garage. They've had it almost 2 weeks and the feedback I've had from their sparky is that the heater control module wasn't getting or providing power to the heater controls on the dash. I asked what they meant by "module" they said the heating control unit is controlled by a mini ECU/brain and it's that, not the control unit on the dash.

They are dealing with the warranty company for me to put in a claim that they believe should be covered but I'm still waiting to find out that outcome.

Good luck with your testing!

Cheers
Dave

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 08:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Wouldn't let me post link so will try again here

Link: https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ho...esistor-test-1

From there you will see links to 2 other tests at the end of that test which tests the rest of the heating components.

Thanks to Danger_type-r from:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 16:42
Supporter

Thanks for your reply—I've had a look through the link you posted and ran through the process with my multimeter. The blower motor resistor is working fine and the fuses are all ok too.

Sourced a new blower motor for £25 just outside of Glasgow but I want to get more advice before replacing it. I just recorded some videos and am about to make my own thread so here's hoping.

I'm actually in Glasgow myself—spend a lot of time on the M 8 between Glasgow and Greenock. Through in Edinburgh tonight so I'm hoping my plug-in fan holds up!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 17:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it. I also read that replacing the motor fan is a nightmare due to the space restrictions and some folk end up removing the clutch pedal or even parts of the dash!

I also considered a portable fan/heater but just bit the bullet and stuck it in to the pros instead.
Are you sure it's the motor? Does your rear de-mister button work, and does the fan / temp info show on the clock display?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 18:28
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Connect the new motor to the cable to test it before ripping everything apart. Shame to do all that when it's not the motor at fault.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th December 2018, 18:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well it's been a long painful couple of months back and forth with the garage but I still have this fault. The garage claims that the problem is with the heater "control module", it's not getting any power (all fuses, blower motor,and resistor are fine), When I asked if this was the unit the driver adjusts/controls I was told no, there's a mini brain/ECU that is part of the heating system and its that that is the problem. They did a bit of soldering to try fix this and it worked briefly but the next day it failed again and the garage said it just needs replaced. The garage claims to be working with the warranty company on this but they have nothing to show for it after 2 months.

Has anyone ever heard of such a control unit? I can't for the life of me find anything online about this unit, I've even found a site which contains exploded diagrams of the entire civic mk8 and there's no obvious control module in the heater sections. The garage have basically stopped helping, can't provide me a part number or anything.

If I can get a part number I can try source a replacement seconds hand. Apparently it's about £8-900 new. But in the meantime, I'm in the position now that the garage claims to have submitted a warranty claim within the correct timeframes but the warranty company have declined and said it was outside of warranty. I'm stuck in the middle and don't have car heating controls. I'm in the process of building a case for the motor ombudsman to review as I don't want to have to be out of pocket more than I already am if I can avoid it.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2019, 11:41
Supporter

can't you ask the garage to show you where the control module is so you could source a replacement from another car ?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page