Other LCD display removal (2006 model) - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fordy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 13:07 Thread Starter

LCD display removal (2006 model)

I have been reading the following really useful post on the lcd display intermittent problem and am looking to re-solder the rear of it:

civinfo.com/forum/4195978-post1.html

The instructions briefly say:

1. Remove the triangle over the radio, unscrew the 2 screws beneath the screen.
2. Remove the speedometer up visor.
3. Take out the speedometer itself.
4. Take out the radio screen.

Could someone go into more detail here please, as I have never removed part of the dash before and really don't want to break anything!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11th January 2019, 06:14

It really is that easy in steps, be careful lifting the panel above the radio as damaging the edges is easy.

The biggest risk you have is with pulling the screens out, they are on what I would call sprung V clips. Make sure you support the screen near these points or if you force on the wrong angle you can fracture the units Perspex front.

I would look at ebay screens to get a idea of the fixing points.
Bones126 likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 10:50

Car: 2012 2.2i-ctdi 5dr VXI
Bugger. Just finished doing my display about 10min ago and already put everything back together otherwise I would have posted pics.

I went about it in this order.

1. I removed the small cowl/cover on top of the speedometer display. It has 3 clips, two on each corner in front and one in the centre in the rear. They clip in vertically so you just have to pull it straight up. This cover came out quite easily on my car.

2. I removed the centre dash cover on top of the dash that sits in front of the display and above the hazard light button. This cover uses the same type clips as the small cover on top of speedo. There are 2 clips in the back right at the display which were a bit tricky to unclip because I thought they were tabs that hooked in horizontally underneath the display but they are not so I ended up damaging the one and tearing the other clean off. (Super Glue sorted them both out luckily). Take care not to scratch the perspex faces on the speedo and info display when you remove this cover though because it scratches really easy, I got off lucky and next time I'll probably rather mask it off with insulation tape before I remove the cover.

3. Unclip the speedometer display. This also has 3 of the same style clips (2 on the corners and 1 in the centre, broke the one in the centre off too on the speedo) but these clip in horizontally so you have to pull it straight out towards you. I didn't even take it out completely, just got it loose and out of the dash but left the plug in.

4. Remove the 2 Phillips/star screws underneath the info display holding it. You can't miss them. Once loose I grabbed the display with my hand palm up in the gap and tugged it. The steering wheel side of the display came loose fairly easy but I had lots of fun getting the other side loose. This also uses the same type of clip as everything else and also unclips horizontally so jou have to pull it straight back towards you. Once loose there is a green connector on the back and you just have to push the clip on it and disconnect it then the whole info display can come out.

5. Switch on your soldering iron and boil the kettle/grab a beer.

6. Flip info display upside down and remove the white back cover, this has clips right around but was quick and easy because you can actually see what is holding where.

7. With the back cover off you will see a row of pins running down the length of the board and these are what's causing the problem. I had about 8 pins visibly loose where the soldering cracked. I skipped boiling the kettle or grabbing a beer and had a bit of the shakes so didn't resolder all my pins. After soldering reverse the steps in the same order and you should be good to go

I forgot to put the white cover on the back of the display back and only realised it after the display and speedo were back in so had to take them out again.

I used 2 flat screw drivers wrapped in insulation tape to pry open the dash covers. And you'll need a soldering iron with a fairly small tip since those pins are very close to each other and also thin soldering wire because it will be real easy to solder more than 1 pin together with a big blob of solder. Preferably you'll also need some solder wick or a solder sucker in case you need to remove solder. I didn't have a sucker or wick hence the shakes. I can't believe Honda thought those pins had enough solder on. I was hoping it would be possible to just melt an resolder the existing solder on there but it just disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Tags
diplay , lcd , radio , solder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page