AC/Heater 2.2 Diesel 2010 CDTi Heater not Working—Could it be the compressor? - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stuart Henry Wilson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 17:38 Thread Starter
Supporter

2.2 Diesel 2010 CDTi Heater not Working—Could it be the compressor?

Hi all,

A few weeks back I bought a 2010 CDTi for £1000. I think it was involved in an accident at the passenger side as the passenger window does not work and the mirror adjustment is pretty wonky but the main issue is that the heating system does not work at all.

I've spent the past few weeks (slowly) troubleshooting and trying different things and I now think that the AC compressor is gubbed (I saw a post from September that mentions shimming or replacing it but I can't post any links just yet).

I'm not a mechanic, and this is the first time I've ever tried to do something to a car other than drive it, but here's what I've tried so far:
  1. I tested the fuses (7 and 36) and they work ok
  2. I replaced the AC relay in the bonnet fuse box but it didn't help—I can hear it clicking on, though
  3. I tested the blower motor resistor and it seemed fine—I replaced it anyway but it didn't help

The heating IS doing something. There's definitely a fan kicking in somewhere when I turn it on, just not the main blower motor at the left side of the clutch. You can hear it, though (I tried to record a video but it didn't pick up the subtle sound). Having read around on this forum a bit, I get the impression that the AC compressor (I think) is supposed to start turning whenever I turn the heating on (or is it just when I have the AC temp low?). This isn't happening. The main fans at the grill are turning when the engine is on and, when I drive it for a bit, hot air does come through the vents but it's very weak.

I'm just looking for any suggestions on the best way forward. I've sourced a replacement blower motor but I don't wanna drop the cash on it if it turns out to be the AC compressor that needs fixing. Any ideas on what to do next?

I have some videos to upload but, again, the forum won't let me because my post count is less than five!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 9th November 2018, 17:43
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Your AC system is separate from your heating system.

Heating comes direct from the engine coolant and you should be able to trace 2 hoses from the engine bay through the firewall at the back of the engine. These should both be warm once the engine is up to temperature, if one isn't then you may have a blockage within the cabin matrix.

Engine bay fans cool then engine coolant and aren't responsible for blowing air into the cabin.

The cabin blower should work regardless of AC/heater temps, you say this isn't working right?

You may (also) have an issue with your heater direction control flap(s).

I suggest you get a garage to check the issue for you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10th November 2018, 11:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hey, thanks for your reply.

The cabin blower isn't working at all. Would that mean that I need a new fan unit regardless of what other issues there are? I have sourced one for just £25—I can pick it up mid-week.

Next time I take it for a longer drive, I'll check the hoses you mentioned to see if there could be a blockage. I think the direction control flaps are also working ok because, when I adjust the heating controls, I can hear them moving.
Farqui likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11th November 2018, 08:02
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
It does sound like your internal fan maybe kaput, try and confirm that it's getting power.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page