Squeaks Loud squeak from the rear - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 00:25 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter

Car: 2000 BMW 740i
Loud squeak from the rear

Hi, wondering if anyone has run in to a similar problem. I have been reading a lot of posts about different kinds of squeaks here lately to try and find someone or something that could explain it, but so far no luck on a 100% match.

I think the closest i could find was this: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels-...ing-bolts.html

I have tried lubing the rubber shown in the picture, but have not gone as far as un-tightening the bolt. Just spraying lots of lube on the rubber did not help the problem.

A bit more detail about the squeak. It happens under different circumstances. Turning, bumps, uneven road surface that makes the body twist slightly, and some times during acceleration. The squeak is loud enough that it bothers both me and my wife, and my father reacted to it when i picked him up the other day. It comes from the rear part of the car somewhere, most likely from the right side or closer to center, but this is hard to tell. The sound is not related to any specific time in the ride. Had it all through a five hour drive.

So, do anyone have any idea? I have been considering problems with the shocks, springs, rear axel mounting, body panels rubbing together, etc. Shocks and springs looks ok both to me and a mechanic that took a quick look. Exhaust is nicely suspended from its rubber mountings not touching anywhere that i can see.

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 00:54
Supporter

Car: vivid blue 2.2 2006 ES
Eco display
If your car is under warranty just shove it into the garage will cost you nothing for them to look at it and possibly fix your squeak, I just had the bump stops replaced which was annoying squeak so it could be those? again was done under warranty and only took them 4 hours to do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 08:42 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Talked to the dealer, and i have no confidence in them ever finding a fault. Had him for a quick spin and his interest level in helping me was very low. As long as he could not find anything about it in his database it sounded like this would never get taken under warranty. I might go to another city to visit a bigger dealer there during the summer and get them to look at it. They fixed my old Civic, and much much better service.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 10:50
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ths View Post
Talked to the dealer, and i have no confidence in them ever finding a fault. Had him for a quick spin and his interest level in helping me was very low. As long as he could not find anything about it in his database it sounded like this would never get taken under warranty.
This won't help your problem, but I just got to say it:

+1!!

I also have a rear left rattle that the dealer can't solve, and they will not look further into it than checking the car for some bulletins... Looks like they think the problems can be solved only by looking at the computer

In reality - small Honda dealers probably don't repair or fix enough Civic's to make their own experiences or use common sense when trying to solve rattles etc.

I bet the local "Mekonomen" or similar probably can help you just as good, although not under warranty. I'm heading for them next time, labour is under half the price as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 11:44 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Yeah i have done service and other stuff at a local garage that i trust. Had my previous 1997 Civic in for a service at the local Honda dealer a few years back and they suddenly changed parts i had not agreed upon changing, without consulting me first. I had not set aside enough money for the extra costs so couldn't pay the bill when the car was done. The dealer held on to my car for a few weeks while i argued my case. Got a small discount in the end, but not nearly enough. After that i lost all confidence in them and have been using a third party no brand garage to get things done. I just took the dealer for a spin to try and reproduce the squeak, in hopes he had heard about it, but no luck.

I also asked him about the gear syncro problem since my second and third gear is not completely smooth. He had never heard of this and suggested changing gear oil. Plan now is to print some stuff from here about the problem and get them to change oil and syncro for free, but not getting my hopes up.

Might actually take the car down to Bergen to a bigger dealer and try there instead. Will mean a 4 hour drive each way + finding a place to stay over night though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 31st May 2010, 15:18

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ths View Post
Might actually take the car down to Bergen to a bigger dealer and try there instead. Will mean a 4 hour drive each way + finding a place to stay over night though.
WOW, and i complain i know have to do 20 km to my nearest honda dealer instead of 5 km. That puts it nicely in perspective
Hope you get it sorted, i had a similar weird squeek coming from the front, turned out to be a rubber from the bumpstop which was completely worn and was stuck in something and it was constantly grinding which made the squeek. My rear ones are now starting to make the same noise, will get it fixed before my warranty runs out in octobre.
Not a serious problem though, only annoying.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st June 2010, 13:41 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Seems i might have found the problem. Unoriginal exhaust system is touching on the right side just a bit when turning right. Tried bending the mountings a bit, and will pull it even more out with some metal bands. Hope this helps, or i will get a new exhaust. Seems the exhaust i got on it is a very early model of some unoriginal. Pipes don't come out of the back etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 09:57
Supporter

Car: GT
I know this is an old post but the last 3 days, when i pull off from my drive after the car has been sitting over night i get a squeaky rubber noise coming from the passenger side rear area. last night i spent 30min removing and greasing the exhaust mounts also sprayed where the torsion bar is attached to the car just in front of the rear wheel.... The squeak is just as i get started and turn left or right at low speeds and lasts less that 10 meters then goes quiet.... Is anyone else still having this issue.

I had it on both sides now it is only on the passenger side.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 10:36

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by furio101 View Post
I know this is an old post but the last 3 days, when i pull off from my drive after the car has been sitting over night i get a squeaky rubber noise coming from the passenger side rear area. last night i spent 30min removing and greasing the exhaust mounts also sprayed where the torsion bar is attached to the car just in front of the rear wheel.... The squeak is just as i get started and turn left or right at low speeds and lasts less that 10 meters then goes quiet.... Is anyone else still having this issue.

I had it on both sides now it is only on the passenger side.
I think its related to the rear torsion beam set-up, its a rubber part that settles after being in the same position overnight. I get it every morning when i drive off the kerb, it seems to be coming from the right rear but never fully investigated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 11:15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
I think its related to the rear torsion beam set-up, its a rubber part that settles after being in the same position overnight. I get it every morning when i drive off the kerb, it seems to be coming from the right rear but never fully investigated.
Thatís where i think it is coming from, it started on the right side and then both and now just the left side. Might give it another couple of blasts of lube to see if that helps. hopefully it will solve its self like the right hand side did!

After the initual squeak i cannot replicate it, defently not the shock or exhaust....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th April 2013, 13:06
Supporter

UPDATE.... finally found the source, the noise is coming from the top of the rear shock. Sounds like it is something to-do with the rubber compression parts, is there a torque setting this nut should be at or can I just nip it up to see it the noise goes?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page