Other exhaust rattle fixed - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulM-EX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 5th January 2019, 14:14 Thread Starter

exhaust rattle fixed

A couple of days ago my car developed an annoying rattle coming from underneath which my first thought was a loose heat shield. So today (first chance I've had) I got the car up on ramps to have a look only to find all the heat shields absolutely solid. After a bit of poking around I located the issue which was the exhaust mounting bracket just behind the front axle. The welds on both sides had corroded apart all but a couple of mm's causing the bracket to vibrate against the exhaust pipe under certain revs.

So to fix the problem (temporarily at least) I pulled the bracket off from the last thread of metal that was holding it in place. Next step was to drill a couple of holes into each side of the bracket, just large enough to pass a jubilee clip through turning the 'V' shaped bracket into an 'A' if that makes sense. Then I was able to pass another larger jubilee clip through the middle of the 'A' and around the exhaust tube and tighten the whole thing back up, pulling the bracket in tight against the exhaust and stopping it vibrating. Yay!

At some point I will get it properly welded back in place but for now hopefully this will do the trick. Sorry no pictures, I was going to take some but completely forgot to until I'd already taken the car off the ramps.
Farqui likes this.

Last edited by PaulM-EX; 5th January 2019 at 14:16.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page