2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Electric passenger mirror with replaced SOD now does 180

Electrics 
3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Neil11 
#1 ·
Strange one, at least for me, I replaced the passengers mirror SOD which hasn’t worked since I’ve bought the car.

It now folds open and close when the button is pressed but it does a full 180 degrees and faces away from the car. The working driver mirror still does 90 as it should.

It also folds open every time on ignition, just the passengers side if I remember correctly.

What could be causing it? And anyway to fix it?

#2 ·
The mirror has a small post deep inside the center post with a small spring on it to stop mirror from doing what you describe. As its happening I assume the spring or post has snapped usually due to being forced backwards by a passerby or in my case a shopping trolley. The fix is almost impossible to go through in writing as its very awkward and long winded but I stripped my mirror off the car and took all plastics off it then you can see flat notched areas where the mirror sits open closed and normal I sat it at normal then drilled a very small hole into which I screwed a fine diameter screw as a stop so the mirror stops at this point. If someone snaps the mirror back again the screw is small enough to give so the mirror is still fixable Failing all that its a new mirror but I wasn't prepared to pay the extortionate prices the folding mirrors cost

Sent from my HS_10DTB12A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks for that, appreciate the answer. I assumed it would be something like that and the mirror does travel far more than it should.

A mechanic told me that it would be the motors, with the opposite motor stopping it from moving further than it should, but maybe not the mk8. The mirror doesn’t stop at close every time, sometimes it keeps going against the window.

It might be past me for now at least but I will definitely give it a go some day soon.

I might try a lazy fix in the mean time by fixing a stop to the outside under the mirror’s post.

When you say centre post, do you mean the post on the mirror post or the post on the door?

#4 ·
In the mirror post where it turns. Take the glass off just pull it gently off then take the painted cover off by pulling and moving sideways slightly. Then undo 3 torx screws that where under glass and separate the black plastics and remove Then you will see then main center where i drilled and placed a screw. If i get time tomorrow i will strip mine and photograph what im going on about so it all makes sense but I won’t be home till late afternoon so will be evening time before I get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
As promised but forgive me if i **** it up
Here goes Stick the ignition on and press the mirror switch till mirrors are folded out now press the front window on broken mirror down just for convenience if needed now take keys out and fold the mirror in to normal open position by hand 20190601/2c49aa330a1e83571937d647913fab50.jpg[/IMG]

Now pull the mirror glas off (it will pull off don’t worry)

Now take the rear painted cover off

Unclip the indicator wire
Now look for 2 torx screws where the mirror glass was

Remove them now you can unclip and remove the black mirror surround

Now the remaining back plastics

Clips showing in last pic
You can now see all the workings you need
Theres a plastic stop this is what will stop against your screw

With the mirror open at normal driving position (as it should be as you put it there by hand at beginning
Mark the alloy bit next to the flat of the plastic stop with a fine marker or pencil
Now fold mirror slightly closed again and drill a small 3 millimeter hole to put a screw in

In pic I’ve put a larger head stew so you could see it resting against stop
Put it all back together not forgetting the torx screws as i did first time and switch the car on the mirror will set itself first time then switch it folded and then switch unfolded to test
There are two instances where this wont help one is if when you switch the ignition on one mirror closes and the other opens in this case the mirror that is opposite to what your switch is saying needs the wires on the sod plug switching over by pulling the spades out the plug and changing them over

If you look mine are switched aswell as it being drilled i had to do both
The second is if the plastic stop is broken then you won’t be able to stop the mirror unfolding too far

Mine has been done like this since last year and has been broken since The screw just comes out when forced backwards and you strip it and refit screw
Hope this helps [emoji106]

#11 ·
Apologies M8TJT I’ve got a banging headache and the mrs is nagging me as im decorating the living room and making all kinds of mess so i just sat down and picked up my phone to check ghe forum out and got a bit peeved but if you are a moderator could you edit the empty post and remove it thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.