2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

2.2cdti engine stutter

Engine 
7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Farqui 
#1 ·
Car Honda Civic 2006 2.2 CDTi 112,000

Had the car from 73000 and its always done

I have a stutter between 1500-1800rpm when revving the car in neutral stood still. Not noticeable when driving and not always present.

Things done to try and rectify this and other issues such as sticking egr valve and Management light code P2004

1.) Clean MAP sensor
2.) New intake manifold runner control frequency solenoid.
3.) EGR blank off and egr delete remap.
4.) recent New fuel filter (non genuine).

Very annoying problem this. Any ideas

#5 · (Edited)
Also i have discovered it is noticeable when driving I am just not often at that low rpm.

When i hold the RPM between 1600 -2000 there is hesistation for a little while. Then when i stop set off again gone, then it will come back.

My suspicion now is either an injector, fuel rail/the relay, MAP or MAF sensor Or fuel
pump

#6 ·
In my Accord 2.2 I had similar symptoms twice. It was like a single cylinder misfire occasionally when gently accelerating gently(ish). But on a couple of occasions the engine just stopped. Pull over, ignition of, restart, off you go. Hate to think what would the outcome would have been it it had happened in the RH lane of a busy motorway.

In both instances it was an intermittent "Injector short". On both occasions the culprit injector was replaced under warranty. (not the same cylinder, no1 first then no4). Not cheap if you have to pay for them either.

So I swapped the Accord for the bag of bolts that I drive now.

#8 ·
I don't know. I took it to my dealer and he fixed it and told me what was causing the 'misfire'. IIRC, the EM light stayed on after the occasions the engine 'just stopped', but not 100% certain on that. And FYI it didn't go into limp mode at all.

#10 ·
I have remembered now. The EM light only came on after the engine had just stopped leaving me coasting with a dead engine. It did not come on with the 'misfire'. IIRC the 'misfire' also went when the engine was worked a bit harder (higher revs).
But, of course, yours may not be the same.

#12 ·
My other thought on this having just been out for a drive.

I also sometimes get horrendous turbo lag and flat spot, which I think could be 1 of 2 things.

1.) coked up VNT inside the turbo causing it to stick
2.) faulty solenoid that controls the VNT same part i believe as the IMRC valve

As my original issue is right around where the boost would start to kick I am thinking that one of these could also cause this, particularly point 2

#18 ·
I know it might sound silly and you probably won't try it but have you tried fuel system cleaner additive? Mine was cutting out intermittently when cold when I bought it on 114,000miles. First thing I did was to buy Redex and poured the whole bottle into a single tank. No issues since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.