2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Front end car park bump

Damage 
7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris McDaid 
#1 ·
Got back from work tonight and the wife casually asked if I could have a look at her '08 FK2 EX as the top of the bumper wasn't lined up with the bottom of the grill and n/s light like it was on the o/s.

Had a quick look, fetched my screw driver and took off the black panel covering the slam panel.

From what must have been a low speed car parking bump from a third part while she has been in work there is damage as follows:

• Top bracket from grill to slam panel n/s - snapped
  • Bottom bracket from grill to slam panel n/s - snapped
  • Bracket/clip from n/s of grill to n/s headlight - snapped including bit off the headlight
  • Bumper somehow now not fitting correctly i.e. bent brackets etc.
Needless to say the wife wasn't too happy when I showed her how un-attached her grill now appears to be. [smilie=mad.gif] :cry: She swares down blind that she hasn't hit anything.

The actual paint on the front bumper isn't scrached in any areas so the offending car must have made contact around the number plate.

I've had a look at Lings parts and the headlight has 3 anchor points and that isn't one of them and since it won't therefore be an MOT issue with regards to alignment there is no way I'm paying £216 for a new headlight just for the bracket. If anything it'll Bostik back on... ;)

I offered to get a new grill from th'ebay or from here for her, but because of the bumper being mis-aligned she is taking it to Gordon's (in traders) tomorrow am. Be kind...

I'll update with the costs for the repair. The grill brackets don't seem to be any more than about £20 each from Lings, but the bumper alignment I'm not too sure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Right, according to the dealer and I'm not disputing it neads:

• o/s Headlight
  • n/s Headlight
  • Grill
Reason it needs headlights is that the clip I mentioned from the grill to the headlight is broken n/s (I knew about this) and o/s (didn't see that when I looked last night).

All in with labour and VAT looking at around £770 and therefore recommended going through insurance. [smilie=crying.gif]

I got all of this off the wife, so phoned the dealer and agreed that the lights would pass MOT if left as they are and all I was concerned about was securing the grill so it didn't rattle at motorway speeds.

So ended up saying it needed at least the grill as the clips don't come separately.

Will post updates as we decide what to do! :popcorn2:

#4 ·
Right, bit of dry weather tonight so I've had the grill off to inspect the damage.

4 out of 4 clips and 1 out of two two bolt holes on the grill were broken!

As stated above both the clips on the top of the headlights were broken, both on the grill and the headlight. I've used some plasting bonding to fix the headlight brackets back on but this is only for aesthetics, they don't give much support by the look of it and the brackets are so flimsy it is un-true!!

One of the brackets bolted to the slam panel was broken:

And the two grill brackets at the bottom of the grill, luckily the brackets on the lights at the bottom are much sturdier and these have survived:

The bottom picture also shows where the bumper clips onto a bracket connecting to the lower bulkhead just under the headlight, clipped this back on and this has lined the bumper back up again.

So I've bought a grill from gadgetman68 and when it's fitted all should be sorted!

#5 ·
Fitted grill today from gadgetman68 (top bloke).

It looks tip top and saved myself about £700. You would never know it happened. :lol:

The wife is properly pleased! :cool:

#6 ·
I have the same problem except I know what happened. The wife drove into the back of me.... The grill is now loose. I have also found a piece of metal which has not snapped off but not sure where it is from. I will take a picture and post.

The guide that came with my grill said you needed to take the bumper off. It doesn't look like you did that. How did you remove it?

#7 ·
I have the same problem except I know what happened. The wife drove into the back of me.... The grill is now loose. I have also found a piece of metal which has not snapped off but not sure where it is from. I will take a picture and post.

The guide that came with my grill said you needed to take the bumper off. It doesn't look like you did that. How did you remove it?

take a read http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/24334-how-change-grill-without-breaking-any-clips.html

#9 · (Edited)
The bracket on top that I've circled is part of the headlight housing so can't be bought separately.

You could try taking the headlight off and bonding the bracket back on with some decent adhesive, but the only other option is to replace the headlight.

If you mean the bottom metal bracket that runs horizontal, I'm pretty sure you can buy that. Standby for part number...

#10 ·
Pretty sure you are looking at 12/14 on this image. It'll be a bumper and headlight off job.

Left hand part number - 71190-SMG-E00, rrp £31.49
Right hand part number - 71140-SMG-E00, rrp £31.49

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.