2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

I've just caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to my pride and joy :(

Damage 
4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeyF 
#1 ·
It's taken me a few days to post this - mostly out of embarrassment and being so annoyed with myself.

On Sunday I managed to drive part of my lovely - freshly washed and waxed car into a great big concrete post - snapping off my drivers wing mirror and scratching the paint on the drivers door and panel over the front tyre. Oh, and also creating a lovely dent at the same time.

Took the blink of an eye to cause this damage and hate to think how much it's going to cost me but totally my own fault so don't want any sympathy.

Have had a new mirror unit installed (£235) and have been to a Honda approved body shop where they have advised I get a new door as they are unable to take the door apart from the inside to push the dent out.

I'm really not looking forward to having it re-sprayed as I'm worried the colour matching isn't going to be the same. Also, do you think when I come to sell it I have to inform the purchasers about any paint work/new doors? Will that effect it's value?

:mad: So mortified and angry at myself right now you would not believe. It was a pointless and out-of-character accident. :mad:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I too would be mortified at the damage caused, i feel sick for you looking at the damage, i know from past experience what it feels like for this to happen, (been there and have the shirt)

As for the respray, if it is carried by Honda repair centre you should have it returned in A1 condition. And as for telling perspective buyers, that is down to your own discretion, since it is relatively minor it will have no documented evidence on Accident database.

I hope your disapointment is short lived and you are back polishing your pride and joy very soon.

#4 ·
And isn't the pain ratcheted up because there's simply no advantage in claiming on insurance? You'd be hit for your excess, the annual premium would jump and you'd probably end up paying over time much more than it will cost simply to cough up and pay the bodyshop yourself.

Been there, done that myself, as they say.

Sympathies.

KevinF.

#7 ·
Been there and done it on my last car. We all make mistakes and I know exactly how you feel. I caused £900 quids worth of damage to it a couple of years ago by scraping the whole side along one of those metal posts that are being used more and more these days to rescrict the width of car you can fit down a street.

I claimed on my insurance in this case as I was on full NCD and it was protected. Excess was only 100 quid and the premium went up by 30 quid the next year. To make matters worse, 2 weeks later after getting the car back from the body shop, some chav scum vandals decided to smash my rear windscreen so I had another 300 quid claim to replace the glass and another excess amount (50 this time). Not a good month for insurance - they must have thought I was taken the p***!

For a month or so I was annoyed with myself for being so stupid, and annoyed at chavs and just wanted to kill anything with a hoodie or baseball cap on the wrong way ;)

#6 ·
Thats ia a real shame, I really feel bad for you regardless of whether it was your fault or not.

Do you not have protected no claims on your insurance?

As you may be aware I have had many repairs carried out and was also wondering about what I would say to a potential buyer in the future.

#8 ·
Thanks for your replies guys - it does help in some small way hearing other peoples stories. The dealer said that they repair 1/2 wing mirrors the same as mine each week!

Have been and collected my pride and joy and she's looking a lot better in my opinion.

When I arrived I inspected the new mirror to discover that the painted cover was scratched. I was not amused so they came running out and polished it up. Hasn't really solved the problem but it's not noticeable now unless you really look for it. Whilst they were there, I asked them if they could clean up my drivers door a bit and they did - I think the damage looks half as bad now and it's a shame that I have to have a complete new door because they cannot pull out the dent.

My excess on insurance is £300 - in comparison to a new door I think that's probably a lot cheaper however as you all say, I've no idea how much that's going to push up my insurance (even though I have protected no claims). I cannot call to ask them as I remember reading on here a while back that they count any queries against you as well.

Some after pictures:

Attachments

#10 ·
Hey, Em, I know you said no sympathy but it's easy done and never nice. The hassle getting everything sorted can't be much fun either. No need to declare anything when selling, no real structural damage has been caused, the door is being replaced so nothing to pass on really! Good luck with the rest of the repair work!

#11 ·
When I arrived I inspected the new mirror to discover that the painted cover was scratched. I was not amused so they came running out and polished it up. Hasn't really solved the problem but it's not noticeable now unless you really look for it.

I've no idea how much that's going to push up my insurance (even though I have protected no claims).
If they have damaged your new mirror they should fix it for you - they can pop a new cover on they are £20.

The whole point of protected no claims is so that you can make a claim without it affecting your insurance, you pay premium for that benefit, check with your insurance company.

#12 ·
The whole point of protected no claims is so that you can make a claim without it affecting your insurance, you pay premium for that benefit, check with your insurance company.
I know it protects the no claims %age but is there anything to stop the b*stards putting up the base premium, pre-NCD, becuase you have made a claim?

#14 ·
Dropped my car off today for a week with the bodyshop - have been given a Honda Jazz which is better than I was expecting. I hope she is returned to me looking brand new with no obvious signs that she's damaged goods.

There was an 07 NHB Type S in as well for repairs!!

#17 ·
Hi Everyone,

Have my pride and joy back now but have become a paranoid mess again - parking miles away from where I need to be in supermarkets etc, making a mental note of the cars parked near me should there be new dents/scratches upon my return! Ha ha.

I had the whole door replaced - when I opened the door, it creaked against the wheel arch panel and scrapped all the paint off that as well.

Car looks restored back to original health - thanks for asking.

Will try and take some photos at some point!

E

#19 ·
Have my pride and joy back now but have become a paranoid mess again - parking miles away from where I need to be in supermarkets etc, making a mental note of the cars parked near me should there be new dents/scratches upon my return! Ha ha.

E

You sound like me lol

Two of my doors are turning blue, went back to the dealers this morning and now the car is booked back in for 21st May :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.