2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Creaking Rear!

Suspension 
32K views 89 replies 54 participants last post by  Wilmo 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone else had a problem with a creaking sound coming from the rear? It only happens first thing in a morning and again at the end of the day on my return home from work, i.e. after the car has been parked for a while. It's hard to tell whether it is coming from the tailgate or some springs. Of course the dealer, yet again! has no idea what it is and it will never do it whilst there as I've just driven 25 miles down the motorway beforehand. It creaks for a few seconds when I reverse, then again as I drive off.

#36 ·
One thing i've noticed is that a lot of the posts on this thread are from people with the 5 door model, my 3 door diesel is making the exact same noises. Mine also suffers from a ride height at the rear which is different on the drivers side (lower) to the passenger side. in an attempt to cure this it's had new dampers, springs and a torsion bar and none of that lot has solved the ride height problem (which Honda now say is within tolerance :confused:) or the creaking rear end. Obviously the early gremlins haven't been ironed out

#38 ·
Mine has started to do this now (07 reg)

Loud creaking form the rear when it's been standing over night - reminds me of the start of michael jackson's thriller when the door opens :)

Once i'm off and away it is fine for the rest of the day. I also have a lot of knocking coming form the rear when going over bumps.

However today, more worryingly, when I went over a speed bump (it caught me out abit - the markings had faded from it) at around 25mph there was a nasty sharp bash coming from the front right tyre. Almost like the shock absorber had exceeded it's maximum travel and two bits of metal had clonked into each other or something.

I managed to repeat it several times over the next few bumps so don't know what that is? Anyone had problems with the front shocks at all?

#47 ·
Ah thank-you Pottsy - what a mine of useful info this forum is :D I had a read through that thread and it sounds exactly what is happening with mine.

It's dark and raining out now so i'll check for loose yellow bump stop things tomorrow. The car is going in next week to have a scratch sorted out so I will ask them to check this out while it's there.

#40 ·
Rear Shock Absorbers.

This is what I hear when bouncing the rear of the car.

I am sure it's a shock absorber but the dealer isn't, and says that if he replaces them and Honda find no fault then Honda will not pay. So far I have spent five hours at the dealer's with this and am less than happy.

These shocks are descibed as the "interim" ones, and deemed to have no problems.

Attachments

#41 · (Edited)
Mine makes a noise similar to that - but only when parked with the handbrake on. I have always assumed that it was the pads moving fractionally on the disc as the car is 'bounced'.

To be honest - its not a noise that features high up the list of the many noises I have as that one only occurs with the handbrake on (for me anyway).

The regular knocking when cold in the first half mile, the exhaust rattling always at idle, the front suspension knocking and crashing are all above this on the priorities list! ........ but I agree it shouldn't happen.

#43 ·
Its a different noise to mine then - though sounds similar. Mine is at the dealers tomorrow - to try and sort some of these noises out (amongst other things)

Good luck with getting it fixed - the amount of noises we all have - the dealers should be going deaf!

#45 ·
I also have that problem, that there is a crackling noise from the back of the car when driving away after the car was parked for a while. After telling this to the dealer, he ask me if I use the hand brake while parking. Well... that was the problem. The brakepads then can stick, and will go lose after a couple of meters, but than can also create the crackling noise from the back of the car. (When you just drive away. After a couple of 100 meters it is over).

Next wednesday my car will get his first service (20.000 kilometer). My dealer already checked the computer for some open repairs (from Honda). My fuelcap is allready been replaces a couple of months ago, but there was still a repair for open. And there will be a new front windscreen cover mounted to reduse the wind noise.

Greetz,
Dennis

#46 ·
pcr,

Whether the dealer gets paid or not is surely not of any concern to the customer. I'd just leave the car with them, and ask them to fix the car under the terms of the warranty. It's up to the dealer to diagnose the fault correctly, so they do get paid.

#48 ·
Mine still creaks when moving off. After 2 visits and the car being left with them for a few days each time my dealer suggested it could be the brakes.
It doesn't sound like brakes to me, much more of a rubber on metal sound!
I suppose I should park without the handbrake on to see if it still does it.

Terry

#50 ·
my 07 ex has this noise have spoken to honda and they have said that the rear top rubber mounts/tops on suspension need changing this will be done under warrenty mine only makes this noise when driving of drive in the morning and stops after 5 seconds. honda did say at first that honda know about this noise but are working with manufactor to make new parts. that was the responce until i told them i had spoken to honda HQ on the phone and was told about the rear rubber mounts on the suspension it is booked in on the 17th will post again once done (fingers crossed it works)

#51 ·
I had the creaking pulling of the drive noise coupled with a knocking from the rear, to cut a very long story short I made the dealers change the rear shocks and turn the springs the correct way up, and adjust the rear seat catches, all is now fine no more noise from the rear.

#52 ·
Mine also does this, 06 2.2 diesel. I had the coils replaced as they had been fitted upside down and then after an accident when someone t-boned me next to a junction, I had new suspension fitted to one side at the back and yet it STILL makes the noise.

I've recently moved house and I notice it more as the drive is on a slope, so when I reverse off it in the morning, you'd think I was driving a 15 year old car, not a 3 year old one.

The build quality truly is horrendous. Fantastic engine though!

#54 ·
mines in next week for knocking from the rear im gonna take spacemans approach and try to get new shocks also for an engine sqeak but it will never do it when its at the dealers so hopefully will this time

#55 ·
I had new rear shocks fitted a few months ago, all silent until a few weeks ago when the 'morning knocking' returned :rolleyes: Car out of warranty in a few weeks, will live with it now, such a shame, otherwise a genernally well designed car.

#59 ·
Will do they said i can pick it up on wednesday. hope the hire car is not a jazz......

#57 ·
I get ths noise first 5 secs or so when staring off from driveway after overnight parking. Sounds slightly dull rubbery/ squidgy/ sqeaky affair.
I would go along with either the rubber top on the shocks or the bushes on the lower suspension or torsion bar. Nothing to worry about but a'int it strange.

#58 ·
I have this aswell! dealer refused to fix it.

#62 ·
Update

UPDATE

Drove car today made the same noise as always first 5 seconds. But the front bump stops works no noise there. I think i will give the exhaust mounts a try as they a only a couple of quid... i can not think of anythink else it could be ?:(

#65 ·
UPDATE

Drove car today made the same noise as always first 5 seconds. But the front bump stops works no noise there. I think i will give the exhaust mounts a try as they a only a couple of quid... i can not think of anythink else it could be ?:(
Bad times - I was hoping this would work. Mine doesn't creak only in the morning / first ride of the day / only inside the car. Mine creaks when it is on a slight incline, before and after a journey, from the rear and is outside the car. How do you know if the rear springs are upside down? Is it something you can see without removing anything or going to the dealers?

#64 ·
Try this. My 58 plate type R makes this creaking noise from the left rear as you are looking at the rear of the car.

It happens with or without passengers in the back. If i fold that side rear seat flat, the noise disappears. It must be something to do with the seat fixing or catch i would think. It's been driving me nuts for the last couple of months. When i put the seat back up, it's fine for a few days, all quiet, then the noise will gradually re-appear.

The same noise is also apparent from the passnger front seat. The moment i adjust the tilt slide aspect to a different position it gets rid of the creaking........................until the bumpy roads begin to take their toll once again! :p

I haven't yet got round to it, but i assume to grease the catches, locks and mechanisms would do the trick?

Fold the rear seat flat......................i promise the noise will disappear!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.