2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Creaking Rear!

Suspension 
32K views 89 replies 54 participants last post by  Wilmo 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone else had a problem with a creaking sound coming from the rear? It only happens first thing in a morning and again at the end of the day on my return home from work, i.e. after the car has been parked for a while. It's hard to tell whether it is coming from the tailgate or some springs. Of course the dealer, yet again! has no idea what it is and it will never do it whilst there as I've just driven 25 miles down the motorway beforehand. It creaks for a few seconds when I reverse, then again as I drive off.

#69 · (Edited)
I have some sort of creak too I normally park facing downhill or up hill depending on which way the car is facing (very slight incline, very slight). Most mornings though, as I pull off I hear a creak from the back of the car - this morning (I didn't drive the car all day yesterday so it was easily 36 hours since the car had been driven) I moved off and my mum and I heard the creak and my mum asked what it was.. even described it as sort of 'windscreen wipery' - are you guys getting the same thing?

I don't know what it is - but it must have something to do with a component getting used to a set position on a gradient then having become set, it starts creaking when having to move off.. What d'ya guys reckon?

#79 ·
Up-Date on my creaks:
Before I started off this morning I opened the tailgate to place some things in the boot and noticed when starting off my drive no creaking!!
In my case I'd now say it must be the rubber tailgate stoppers losening up after overnight parking or some other long stop.

#82 ·
Took my Type S GT in for it's 3 year service (only 8400 miles on the clock though!) the other day to Inchcape Honda Chelmsford. The chap there said he's been on a Honda Service eduction course a few weeks previously and had been informed on what was happening with the creaky issue. If I recall correctly, he said that the problem stems from lack of lubrication on the rear shocks first thing in the morning, it dries out overnight. The fix is that they're developing a new rear shock that has a reservoir at the top of the shock which will allow some oil to drip down as needed. These are supposed to be available around Christmas time and as they'd noted the problem on my service notes he expected this to be covered by an extended warranty cover.

Fingers crossed!

#84 ·
After I wrote and complained Honda told me they had a solution and parts would be available to dealers last November. My car goes in for service tomorrow, so I will check what the dealer knows.

Terry

#87 ·
I got exactly the same problem! When going at low speeds (5-20mph) I hear and FEEL the creaks from below me. It's as if my wheel bearing's gone horribly wrong or is it the springs? The suspensions? I keep questioning myself but don't want to take it to a garage cause I know they're gonna charge me.
I love my car... But it sometimes does my head in.:(

#90 ·
I'd live with it, "they all do it" as the stealers say.

If it does not do it after the initial move off then it's not a problem.
There was a Honda technical bulletin from 2007/8(?) but most of the dealers will have forgotten it or be too young to know about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.