2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rusty Roof - HONDA RECALL!

Paint 
212K views 1K replies 311 participants last post by  Matic Mohorčič 
#1 ·
Hi

Called into a mates spray paint shop for a quote on colour coding the bumpers on my Type S. He took a look at my roof and said there is a recall on a certain batch of Honda Civic as the windscreen rubber strip cuts the paint.

Off i went to Honda and they said its covered, so a new respray and rubber strip on the roof with a brand new Honda Civic to test drive for a couple of days as a courtesy car.

Below are some pics of my roof in a mess.. ill post some photos of when its all done!

See less See more
#119 ·
Well, the saga continues....

2 weeks ago i took my car in, depths measured photo's taken, even a photo of my service book...

Rang up yesterday and the guy said he had been trying to get hold of me. Funny, i had no missed calls or voicemail.
Turns out they need a proper copy of my service book, bearing in mind my nearest dealership is 20 miles away i wasn't too happy.

Anyway, went down they took a copy then one of the managers started saying that HUK want corrosion certificates.
News to me....
40 mile round trip for this means i'm not a happy bunny at all.

They said i need to speak to HUK to resolve it, and that was the end of the conversation.

Spoke to HUK, after speaking to 4 different people and then ending up speaking the the person i started at she took my details to pass them onto someone else. Apparently they should get back to me in 3 days.
Pished off isn't the word.

So anyone else had problems like this?

#120 ·
Well, the saga continues....

2 weeks ago i took my car in, depths measured photo's taken, even a photo of my service book...

Rang up yesterday and the guy said he had been trying to get hold of me. Funny, i had no missed calls or voicemail.
Turns out they need a proper copy of my service book, bearing in mind my nearest dealership is 20 miles away i wasn't too happy.

Anyway, went down they took a copy then one of the managers started saying that HUK want corrosion certificates.
News to me....
40 mile round trip for this means i'm not a happy bunny at all.

Thats a bloody joke am afraid I wouldn't be happy either :(

They said i need to speak to HUK to resolve it, and that was the end of the conversation.

Spoke to HUK, after speaking to 4 different people and then ending up speaking the the person i started at she took my details to pass them onto someone else. Apparently they should get back to me in 3 days.
Pished off isn't the word.

So anyone else had problems like this?
Thats a joke mate, I wouldn't be happy either :(

#121 ·
I didn't have that issue. My car only has one main dealer service and that was the first one.

I took the service book to the dealers for when they were taking photos but never got it out of the glove box.

All I was asked, and this was over the phone because he had forgotten to ask when I was there, was what was the mileage and date of the last service.

#122 ·
Its strange to read that a lot of people going in for the roof re-spray are confronted with a bunch of questions about the service history... IMO Honda should see that they have a problem with their workmanship and take responsibility and fix the issue.

I had no questions when i took my car to the dealers, they took one look at it and said " yes, its covered" - job done and fixed!

If i had a bunch of bullshift from the dealer rapping on about service history i would firstly ask him what the hell has that got to do with the paint on the roof being affected by the rubber seal and secondly mentioning the TV program " the ferret" .

#123 ·
Maybe they think it's becoming too expensive so are cracking down on it and becoming more strict about it?

I wouldn't be too bothered if I lived more local to a dealer.
The fact that I asked them if I could email them a copy of the service book is what annoys me. After they gave me the guff about corosian certificates they tried to give me my service book back. I told them to copy it so that I don't have to come back again.

#132 ·
They haven't recalled it though.

You comment almost sounds as if you work for Honda...
Like a lot of other members with the same issue,honda did not point out to them their roof was rusting or even mention that there could be a problem. The only way to have this problem solved is to point it out to honda that its happening and then be faced with a bunch of questions when clearly they should be performing the corrosion check every service like your post states. I mentioned 'the ferret' TV program because bad news travells faster than good and Honda or any other company do not want a film crew highlighting there is a problem to the uk audience or there would be a HUGE Influx of customers sending their honda to be checked.

Im not having a go at you mate but look at how many instances are on this thread,try telling everyone that honda is right for refusing to fix the problem.
A lot of members on here have had the issue but in reality , that is a small percentage of people who own an 8th gen. Mentioning an issue like this to a tv program roughly results in the following;

Tv production company contact manufacturers press office and ask relevant questions such as were they aware of an issue, what have they done, are they prepared to make good any obvious defects etc, are there any conditions attached etc etc etc.

Press office reply back with answers which are then confronted by 'Mr Angry of Norwood' etc who feel hard done by as they havent had something done for free etc etc. Production company are then presented with the fact that the customer never brought the car in for an annual corrosion inspection so manufacturer were unable to check any issues until it was too late etc etc and eventually the manufacturer relents and has it done.

End result, Mr Angry is still angry, the TV show doesnt really have a story and the manufacturer carries on. Look at the people that were on here regarding the stone chips, the guy who had T shirts made up with pics of his car.....

#134 ·
arrived at honda grangemouth for my 1oclock meeting with the guy a spoke to on the phone only to be told sorry he isnt here, come back at 4 and he should be in.....should be?? surely when he arranged for me to take time from work to come in at 1 he SHOULD have been in too!

hoping this is going to be fixed by them, anyone any idea how long they take the car for?

#135 ·
Not to be in for a pre arranged meeting is disgusting, if the guy had something come up at short notice a phone call is all it takes. I would be fuming if I had taken time off work to see someone & they didn't turn up.[smilie=mad.gif]

#137 ·
Maybe it's time Honda Uk found about them.

#140 ·
I'm still waitning to hear from HUK.

Took my car into Arnold Clark Honda in Kirkcaldy in May 2012. They took photos and paint depth readings and said it would take a couple weeks.

Phone a few times but nothing. In August I contacted HUK I spoke to a really nice woman who was very appologetic that it had been three months since I took it to the dealer.
Well I heard nothing from HUK for the rest of August the whole of September.
I contacted HUK in at the start of October. They said they had been in almost weekly contact with the dealer asking them to submit the warranty claim.

The person at HUK said I would definately hear from HUK by October 5th. Well it's now October 16th and I've still not hear anything from the dealer of HUK.

Won't buy Honda again - wheres the warranty?

#141 ·
well i went back down at 4pm to be greeted by the receptionist. no sign of the bodywork fellow or the parts or anyone who could give me a straight answer.

45 minutes later he, the receptionist, asks for my keys and walks away to my car(*thinking surely he isnt going to do anything, surely not) he takes the service book out, the mot, and the manuals etc etc drives it around the front, takes pictures of the roof, the mileage and the pictures of the service book (no copies made) and tells me there you go sir, we will be in touch

after me polietly saying hold on...what happens now he smiles and says well we will put in a warranty claim and be in touch, usually takes a month or so

OHHH and my car is due a re-call for wiring or something, which honda neglected to call me, letter me or mail me about!!

#142 ·
Phoned Honda today regarding my enquiry.
For some strange reason there is no record of me phoning on Thursday.
No record of the 4 different people I spoke too and my car reg didn't bring anything up on their system.
I might as well pay for the respray myself. By the time I add up my phone bill and fuel costs I'm sure I'll be somewhere near price of a respray.
RAGE FACE.

So after going back over what's happened, why it's happened and what I know I now have an enquiry number.

#146 ·
Just had mine back from the local Honda garage (who gave me a Jazz as a courtesy car....smallest engine i have ever driven!!) They have made a brill job of the roof and paintwork. However while they were fixing it they damaged the main windowscreen. There is a small crack on the passeger side. In fairness to the garage they informed me straight away and i wouldn't of noticed if they hadn't because the crack is not visable from the inside. They have ordered a replacement window screen and will fit free of charge.

All in all the whole process has been resolved in a matter of 10 days so a big thumbs up for HUK and Grantham Honda from myself.

#149 ·
I am confused as to why you need to take your service book in for this?

Regardless of service rust should not appear on the car full stop, so whether the car is serviced by Honda or and any other garage should not make a blind bit of difference in my opinion.
cant agree enough, i think it may be to question the garage or dealership who carried out the service and ask them how come they never came across this when carrying out a vehicle check etc

#150 ·
After reading this thread I checked my car and sure enough there is rust present on my car. I popped along to my local dealer this afternoon (Gatwick) and they were very helpful and within 20 minutes of me arriving my claim had been submitted to HUK and was told that it should be accepted no problem and they will call me within a week to arrange a time and date to get it booked in. So hopefully this is the start of a good experience!!

#155 ·
unsure how long paint warranty is covered for....

phoned Honda Grangemouth today, after two weeks of hearing nothing, i have now been told they have got a total of 10 claims in and are just going to send all away together...i should hear in about 2-3 months....this is after being told on the day i should hear in a month wether its being done or not

surely i am not the only one who thinks i am being messed about with?????

#157 ·
ON AN EVEN BETTER NOTE!! Honda called yesterday, after i called in the morning and was told it would be a few months before anything came about. They called and said yes Mr Baird we have accepted your warranty claim and would like to proceed with the repair, we will require the car for a week to ten days and it will be carried out in out renfrewshire branch, when can we have the car?

Ohh thats nice Mr Honda, you can have it this Monday, whats my courtesy car??

Mr Baird you dont get one, sorry. Goodbye

#158 · (Edited)
Just had my car fixed under warranty, my car is 6 years n 10 months old with part honda service history over the last 3 years. Grangemouth Honda werent interested as its over the 6 year limit, but this is only in a guidance bulletin issued by Honda, i went to Honda Aberdeen, near where i work and the car was repaired under warranty within 10 days, ( 4 days to fix) dealer made it easy from start to finish.

Roof is a structural part of the car and should come under the 12 year warranty, no idea why honda are quoting 6 but they're not sticking to that. I think the bulletin was issued when 8th gens were 6 years old? To rule out older models.

#159 ·
OK, Honda took my car in on Monday 5th and have called me saying i can collect as of 4pm this afternoon

Safe to say now its fixed (once i inspect it that is)

Although my first opinion of Honda Grangemouth was they are a joke and service is poor i re-tract this statement and say overall once you chase them a little the work gets done and in a timescale less than they 1st made out, overall win IMO

#162 ·
Got the call this morning from Gatwick Honda and my claim has been approved by HUK. This is with full service history with only the first 2 services carried out by Honda the others have been local independent garages. The car goes in on the 26th, the only problem is I have to have a Jazz :( wanted the civic but the garage apparently have just sold theirs!

#163 ·
Well folks...and Hotchy

Bn to dealer...body shop man has taken pictures...told me as the car is over 3yrs old it's out of warranty for rust, so if HUK consider repair it'll be as a goodwill gesture! (He was losing brownie points...FAST!)...I asked if a rust check was carried out at each service...to which he mumbled something n failed to repeat it....I commented that this problem appeared to be quite common....that ran off him as quickly as the rain I was standing in!....I asked wha the next steps were....he said it'd take 2-3wks before I'd know the outcome and he'd call me....I translated that as 'I'm gonna hang onto your form til I have a few more warranty claims so that its worth the postage to send them off altogether!!! I'm no exactly filled with confidence but I'm no about to fall at the first hurdle....will kp you posted n gd luck Hotchy!

#164 ·
Great... lol I'll pop up next week and moan. Also they extended this problem to 6 years which I'll gladly remind him. Thanks for keeping me posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.