2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rusty Roof - HONDA RECALL!

Paint 
212K views 1K replies 311 participants last post by  Matic Mohorčič 
#1 ·
Hi

Called into a mates spray paint shop for a quote on colour coding the bumpers on my Type S. He took a look at my roof and said there is a recall on a certain batch of Honda Civic as the windscreen rubber strip cuts the paint.

Off i went to Honda and they said its covered, so a new respray and rubber strip on the roof with a brand new Honda Civic to test drive for a couple of days as a courtesy car.

Below are some pics of my roof in a mess.. ill post some photos of when its all done!

See less See more
#205 ·
Lucky sod.

Today I got my second reject letter from HUK
"I understand that you are not happy with the outcome as stipulated in my last letter. However, HUK will unfortunately not be covering the costs of the surface corrosion repair as the service history was not kept in line with the conditions of the warranty."
"I appreciate this is not the outcome which you have hoped for but trust that this will go some way in assuring you that all comments from customers are taken very seriously and we would always consider assisting where possible. As the warranty conditions have been breached, we are unfortunately unable to assist" ta ta.....:(

#208 ·
Warranty from servicing is unrelated to the rust issue as the body work guarantee is separate from servicing warranty. In other words if your warranty runs out your still covered as they state the paint and corrosion warranty as a separate entity altogether. Small claims court time mate! Breaking trading law is frowned upon in the uk after all ;)

#206 ·
Thats a shame and I'm sorry to hear it, I know I would have been dissapointed if they said the same to me but mine does have full main dealer history so thats probably why they decided to do it

Missing it more than I thought I would and cant wait to get it back, just hope its sorted first time

#207 ·
Car has just been okay'd for work to be started next monday.
Just took it in to local Honda dealer and asked to speak to service manager.
Left it for a couple of hours and HUK authorised within 1 week.:D:D:D:D

Craig

#209 ·
I have decided to give huk a shot as double checked mine and under light you can see slight roots forming under the paint.
Have an appointment for 3pm Wednesday enfield branch fingers crossed, ihave two main dealer stamps and three independent stamps. Will pop a post up as it progresses touch wood :popcorn2:

#210 ·
Got mine sorted. Looks good as new!!!
Also had a jazz too for a few days...
When i gave my car in and had the jazz....drove out of the garage for about 4 minutes...had a flat tyre :mad:
Charged me £72 to replace their tyre which i feel wasn't my fault!!! I bet it had a slow puncture when they gave it to me

#212 · (Edited)
More bad news.
OFT Motorcodes have binned me off too, saying that HUK are within their rights to decline.
Only option left would be to raise Sales of goods act on the Trader who sold it to me.

Or just get it done myself.

I am sorry to advise that I am unable to be of assistance in this matter, regrettably there is not presently a Code of Practice covering used cars and would therefore be unable to assist. There isn’t a code of practice that covers the sale of the vehicle either.

If you do not believe the vehicle is fit for purpose and are seeking to enforce a repair or reject your vehicle, which may be your legal right under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and/or the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. I would suggest that your best course of action would be to seek independent legal advice from your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau or solicitor.

#213 ·
More bad news.
OFT Motorcodes have binned me off too, saying that HUK are within their rights to decline.
Only option left would be to raise Sales of goods act on the Trader who sold it to me.

Or just get it done myself.

I am sorry to advise that I am unable to be of assistance in this matter, regrettably there is not presently a Code of Practice covering used cars and would therefore be unable to assist. There isn’t a code of practice that covers the sale of the vehicle either.

If you do not believe the vehicle is fit for purpose and are seeking to enforce a repair or reject your vehicle, which may be your legal right under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and/or the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002. I would suggest that your best course of action would be to seek independent legal advice from your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau or solicitor.
Unfortunately they are within their rights to deny the repair. The condition is that a vehicle corrosion check is carried out every year not the actual service. I'd go for the SGA against Honda directly as they have sold a car which fails on any normal durability test in any legal sense for a relatively new motor vehicle. If you need any more information on how to do this then i'll have get some of my old documents out as i haven't sued under the SGA in some time. You probably have a strong case as the rust eminates from an area which is unlikely to be affected by other factors such as stone chips etc.

#214 ·
Some good news today, got an email from Honda, stating that some of the work will be carried out but not all. They will be replacing the roof rubber strip and will clean and fill the paint. The dealer did try to claim for more work i guess a respray but was not approved.

Would like to say Brayley Enfield Honda have been great, I haven't had to chase them once.

#215 ·
was in today speaking to my local Honda dealer (Sunderland) had the photos taken and the service book photocopied and sent away, should i wait until Friday before chasing them?

#216 ·
small update, had a call from Sunderland Honda this morning claim has been accepted in less than 24hrs!
i was ready for war over this but Honda have totally surprised me with there helpfulness, will defo be buying hondas in the future lol

#217 ·
Honda called to book in the work, they have basically said they will just clean and fill and reseal the rubber mould of 2 hours labour, Or to have it done properly I will have to contribute £276 :(

Basically they said because the car was serviced at Honda for the first 2 years then had independent garages they cannot guarantee the corrosion check was done fair enough. But also also said that my issue with the rubber cutting into the paint is not as descried on the service bulletin hmmm

Anyway going to think it over today and decide what to do.

#220 ·
i got the magic call, mine is booked in on Monday for 3 days, gonna get a price for a front end respray as the bloke said i would only have to pay labor as paint already mixed for roof respray.

To be fair if Honda don't do it and you take it somewhere else it will probs cost more than £276 anbd might not be as good a job. You could always chase up about the bulletin, maybe ask Honda UK why yours is different to what has been stated?

#221 ·
Matt, what year is your CTR mate? Did you have full Honda service history? I logged a call directly with HUK yesterday so waiting for head office to call me back and explain why my car is different to the bulletin hopefully i get lucky. Worst case ill just pay the £276 mate and get it done by Honda.

Cheers

#222 ·
my CTR is a 57 plate, it has got full service history but got an additional service at the garage where i bought it which was a Evans Halshaw Renault garage, i also had a corrosion certificate dated as the 12/4/12 so they couldn't really knock me back.

I would keep on at them but even if they point blank say no, £276 isn't bad for a full roof respray at Honda

#224 ·
Good news mate glad you got yours done one less thing to think about!

update on mine, I spoke directly with HUK the chap who was looking into my claim with the dealer. They cannot see the faint paint bubbling in the picture only the cut of the seal so thats what differs from the bulletin. He said he advised the dealer that 2hours is enough time for the damage they could see in the pictures, this covers them to strip back the old seal, clean and treat the cut and fit a new seal.

I did then also explain the dealer said to me they now cant do that in 2 hours, and I was told i needed to pay the £276. He then did go round the houses to try and dampen what we was both thinking about the dealer pushing for the extra cost as you would expect, they do have to make money.

Anyway I have verbally agreed with HUK when the agreed work takes place with the dealer, they are to take more pictures once the strip is taken off and reassess if the damage is worse and provide information back to HUK so they may if appropriate do the full work.

I know the roof is rooting up from the cut you can see it under light, so im going to continue being polite and hopefully it saves me £276.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.