2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rusty Roof - HONDA RECALL!

Paint 
212K views 1K replies 311 participants last post by  Matic Mohorčič 
#1 ·
Hi

Called into a mates spray paint shop for a quote on colour coding the bumpers on my Type S. He took a look at my roof and said there is a recall on a certain batch of Honda Civic as the windscreen rubber strip cuts the paint.

Off i went to Honda and they said its covered, so a new respray and rubber strip on the roof with a brand new Honda Civic to test drive for a couple of days as a courtesy car.

Below are some pics of my roof in a mess.. ill post some photos of when its all done!

See less See more
#260 ·
I think mine is showing very early signs of this, worth getting Honda to look at it? im not expecting a full respray but to see if there is anything they can do to prevent it spreading. Its a 58plate CTR but a 2007 build. Also got small patches of rust on the doors under the seals.

Amazingly I had it serviced by them last month and there is no mention of rust on the corrosion checklist.

#261 ·
After getting my car just a few weeks ago i noticed the roof was rusting, so had a look on here and saw this thread.

took it to my local honda for them to take pics and take the service history, got a phone call a few days later saying as it only has 2 honda stamps on the service book and the others were done at none honda garages also one missing that they could not do anything about it unless i could prove that it had the corrosion checks.

however i could not prove or disprove about the checks, but i thought i would fight the case as its there fault for putting the wrong rubber on the car in the first place.

after a 2 week battle with honda both local and honda uk, they are spraying the roof and replacing the rubber for free.

mines a 57 plate, but goes to show that sometimes they hope the customer will give up and honda will save them selfs a few quid.
:cool:

#269 ·
Had some photos taken at Durham Honda today, they also photocopied the service book, the service manager said they knocked one back for this last week because it didn't have full Honda service history, I don't have Honda history either so hoping they don't knock me back.
Was under the impression it is a factory design issue so it shouldn't matter if it has all corrosion checks?

#270 ·
Mate,

I found my dealer was trying to get me to pay for the work. I don't have any corrosion checks on my book and all service history bar first two years was not done at honda.

From feedback on here its all depending on the dealer, I found it was better to liaise directly with HUK once the warranty claim had been started by the dealer.

Cheers

#271 ·
I had mine checked at Ryland Honda Cardiff and it was wasn't anywhere near as bad a the OP! Hoping they'll ok it and it'll be sorted. I've got one stamp from honda which was the very 1st service and none of the corrosion/paint checks seemed to be ticked so fingers crossed. I'll be having a nice phone call to someone at Honda UK if its not because I dont see why we have to pay for a manufacture fault.

#275 · (Edited)
Good luck with it mate hope they sort it for you...

They were a nightmare when my headunit was playing up (under warranty) constantly had to chase them up:mad:

Hoping i dont have to deal with this issue, checked under the seal this week end and all good at the mo, my car is garaged at home and work tho so this might have prevented premature corrosion

#282 ·
Just checked my 06 and I have this s well as on the drivers door.

#283 · (Edited)
Just Called Cambridge Honda, told me as my cars was over 6 years old it was not covered! Ask if it was a known fault and the answer was yes. I then said well why did you not contact me then as courtesy to inspect, answer was because they were not instructed to.

Calling Honda UK now

Edit.

Honda UK far more helpful that Cambridge Service dept. - whatever the outcome this is my last Honda.

#289 ·
Was that John Banks Honda by any chance? I'm having a service done by them today, requested the rust to be inspected for application to Honda UK and had to spell it out to them again today when I called to confirm the inspection had been carried out as apparently they have no idea about this :worms:

#284 ·
I just purchased a 2006 EX and i never spotted an issue with the roof until i got it home and cleaned it, and it actually seems that the seal on mine has been removed...and i have a line of rust and a few small bubbling areas as seems typical.

I intend to take it down to my Honda dealer but fully expecting not to get anywhere as it doesnt have full honda service history, or corrosion checks, and is outside of the 6 year warranty window.

How much does an new seal cost and where do i get them?

For those that have repaired themselves, how did you go about doing so??

I was hoping for happier, more exciting times when i first go her!!!

#285 ·
I have one service stamp with honda (1st service) and none of the corrosion checks have been ticked and its been approved by Honda Uk to go in next Tuesday. If you don't get any joy with your local honda dealer then go direct to Honda Uk and they should sort it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.