2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rusty Roof - HONDA RECALL!

Paint 
212K views 1K replies 311 participants last post by  Matic Mohorčič 
#1 ·
Hi

Called into a mates spray paint shop for a quote on colour coding the bumpers on my Type S. He took a look at my roof and said there is a recall on a certain batch of Honda Civic as the windscreen rubber strip cuts the paint.

Off i went to Honda and they said its covered, so a new respray and rubber strip on the roof with a brand new Honda Civic to test drive for a couple of days as a courtesy car.

Below are some pics of my roof in a mess.. ill post some photos of when its all done!

See less See more
#288 ·
roof rust

My friends 57 plate CTR
No full Honda service history, or anti paint/corrosion checks. i have suggested that the rust would have still apeared if he had the corrosion check and also that they would have painted it under warrenty sooner than later but ultimatley it still would have to have been done in its life

Attachments

#290 ·
Very interesting thread this guys, and since this is probably my first post on this site, what a great source of information this place has been for me, thank you all very much!

I took my 57 plate FN2 32k FHSH in for service & MOT at Swansway Stockport last week and asked the service guy to fix my roof as its just starting to go after the car living outside for 18 months. He took pictures etc and now he's come back saying he's booked me in for the work doing. Surprisingly easy! I asked where, out of curiosity, he responds, "Swindon". Really? All the way back to the factory???? Can't help but think this is BS.

If this isn't true, then it wouldn't be the first occasion of these clowns lying to me. I've had three very poor experiences with this outfit and I'm kinda worried they gonna make a mess of this roof fix.

Anyone make any recommendations or share experience of Swansway Stockport?

#293 ·
Mine took about six months.

The garage took all the photos and paint readings but never submitted it to HUK. After three month I rang HUK who then spent the next 3 months trying to get the garage to submit the details. Eventually the garage phoned and said because I'd been messed around they were doing it as a goodwill gesture without HUK approval.

I don't think Honda pay for labour (only parts) when it come to warranty work and as this is labour intensive rather than parts - they don't like doing it.

#299 ·
Looks like i have some spray painting fun coming up...

Been to see Honda today, and the car has already been for a recall in 2007 where the roof was painted and seal replaced. This is the result of it failing again...outside of the 3 year warranty on the repair, and outside of the 6 year extended warranty.

In other words, im stuffed!!!!

No mention of service history, in fact Avonvale Honda - stratford were seemingly v helpful.

#300 ·
I gave up an bought a BMW!

#303 ·
Well….

Update on this, went back to Honda UK direct with a complaint letter and this morning just got ‘bounced’

What I don’t understand is that the roof / screen is structural and yet they seem to be bugging out of their structural warranty.

Regardless it seems im sorting this one myself….great.

#304 ·
I've had the similar runaround from Honda UK and the dealer. I was in the market for a new car when I noticed it and the dealership knew this.

On principal I decided not to spend my £20k with honda but bought a BMW and to be honest its a far far better car.

#306 ·
Just got back from Gordon's Honda Wigan. The warranty range has been extended to cover 06-11 plate civics so I can't see any reasons why they should knock anyone back. Inspection paperwork was not asked for. The car was photographed and told to wait a couple of days for a response.

#307 ·
Just got mine back from having it repaired, had an awful courtesy car. Mines a 56 plate, didn't have all corrosion checks either but was still accepted. Job looks good although there's lots of funny looking water marks allover the car and roof hopefully these go when it's washed in about a week.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#312 ·
Thought I'd add my story.

Bought my 07 plate 1.8 Sport last July from an independent dealer, had a full Honda warranty history apart from the most recent service, that was carried out by the indepent dealer's own garage. Notice the strip of rust a couple of weeks back. Found this thread on the forum, so got in touch with local Honda dealer , West End Honda Dundee, and asked about warranty. They replied the 6 year warranty expired in March this year. So I contacted Honda UK direct , to see if there would make an exception in this case I was only aware of the issue/warranty, and I had just missed the warranty dealine by a couple of months.. Honda UK opened a case, asked me to pop back into my dealer for photos , paint depth etc. Just got a phone call today to say Honda UK will authorise the repair under warranty ...result. Car is booked in for July 22nd , will update once the work has been completed.

#313 ·
I fixed my roof at the weekend myself. Looking underneath the rubber strip at the top of the windscreen you can see a line of broken paint that goes right across the roof. I thought that this may of been caused by the rubber wearing the paint away, or by the way the car was painted at the factory?

I'm lucky not to have any rust. At the weekend I carefully peeled but the rubber in sections and then added a coat of rust remedy, followed shortly after by some silver touch-up paint, then some wax. Hopefully its shouldn't rust now?

Then there's the top of the doors to watch out for too!!!

#314 ·
I had my car in for an MOT last monday at Honda on Bothwell Road, Asked them to have a look at my roof as it was just starting to rust, (only has 20k on it), Just got a phonecall there to say its been approved, booked in for next Wed, Asked for a CRZ as a courtesy car was told I would get a Jazz, Boooo.

#315 ·
Its got to be a design or manufacters fault, how can cars in this day and age rust? My previous car was a Peugeot 306 and it was 11 years old when I part exchanged it, it had no rust whats so ever. Not good for a Honda to rust after 2 years!

#316 ·
Dropped the R off this morning, got a jazz hybrid as a courtesy car ( automatic too :( however it's really nice to drive. Nice and relaxing. Get my car back on Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.