• 2 Post By FergyCiv
  • 1 Post By happypedal
  • 1 Post By M8TJT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 18:14 Thread Starter

Car: 2014 1.6 Civic tourer EX
A/C not working

Hi All,

In the now rare sunshine we have had in the last few days, i have found out that my aircon in my 2014 Civic tourer 1.6iDTEC is not working, the relay is working ok, as in when the A/C is switched "ON" the compressor spins and when it is switched "OFF" it stops spinning, the ECO mode is off and when i set fan to full and A/C "ON" temp set to "LO" i get a slight chill from the passenger side center vent where as all other vents have just normal warm air blowing from them.

Does have anyone have any clues on what may be the issue, i have only had the car just over a year, so i do not know if it needs a regas or if it points to something else?

Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 19:45
Supporter

Re gas will solve your issue. Remember A/C isn't just for warm weather is should be on all the time. Have it set at 20-21C on auto mode. That will save your seals, and keep it running as it should. Not to mention your car won't be steamed up etc

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
M8TJT and The_b3st like this.
Thanks to FergyCiv from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 19:49
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Good advice FergyCiv. Why on earth do peeps turn off the A/C when they have climate control?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st May 2019, 20:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the info, it gets used as when you set the windscreen to demist, you get the A/C automatically switched on, so i use it, but not as much in the darker colder months as much as in summer (if we get one).
It's the first car i have had that needs a regas, so i'll find a local aircon company and let you know how i get on.

Many thanks for the info
M8TJT likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2019, 11:47

Car: 2015 Honda Civic Sport 1.6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergyCiv View Post
Re gas will solve your issue. Remember A/C isn't just for warm weather is should be on all the time. Have it set at 20-21C on auto mode. That will save your seals, and keep it running as it should. Not to mention your car won't be steamed up etc

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
I have been taught that A/C always on increases fuel consumption and sucks power from the engine but I guess I missed something looking at your answers guys
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2019, 13:40
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
The amount of 'power it sucks from the engine' and increase in fuel consumption, although true, is negligible. It seems that not running it causes more problems/expense than running it all the time. And that's apart from the added benefit of less misting etc.

In hot weather, you possibly loose more power and fuel consumption by running with the windows/sunroof open, arm hanging out of the window, fitting drag inducing wind deflectors etc. thereby destroying the carefully calculated aerodynamics of the car than you do by having the A/C on.

Keep it on and enjoy the climate controlled constant temperature. Not doing this is akin to not switching on headlights in dubious lighting conditions to 'save the battery'.
The_b3st likes this.
Thanks to M8TJT from:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th May 2019, 20:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

As an update my Civic tourer went to the men in the white coats and they told us Re-gas was required and the system was checked and serviced and re-gassed and we now have super cold air.

So thanks for all of your advice and info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st May 2019, 05:18
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Great lets hope it holds. Unlikely to be anything other than leakage over time at that age. However equally, at 1 year, I'd expect some drop off in cooling vs new but not warm.

For anyone else needing a fix, I can highly recommend a guy at Chesterfield. He's backstreet in a small scruffy looking unit, but has got all 5 star reviews. I took a journey over to him last week to fix my aircon based on his reviews as I had a slight leak. He charges £30 for a leak seal (only suitable for slight slow leaks), £40 for a regas (not sure if that's the stand alone price or only with the leak seal) and around £250 where the system has a serious leak that has to be traced and the piping cut out.

Only does R134A atm though, so older Civics.

For comparison, dealers and most garages, Halfords own kits are £70 for a re-gas alone. The guy had all the necessary kit and obviously knew how to use everything.

On mine the leak seal did the trick as it was very very slight - it was holding 8 bar of pressure without a visible drop before the sealant was introduced! 2hrs later it (you go away, drive and come back), it was fully sealed and re-gassed back to full pressure, plus icy cold. It's held perfectly ever since. Highly recommend the guy. Even works bank holidays! Also does other auto repairs.

Chesterfield Car AirCon Regas ECU Remapping & Key cutting AutoTunes Air conditioning recharge Tel Andy: 07960 960043

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Bugs, faults and irritations (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page