2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Which plan do I go for?

Servicing 
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  A D Stan 
#1 ·
My 2.2 Type S (24,000) will be due it's 4th service in October, and having just bought the car I'm looking at signing up to a Honda service plan.

On the day I picked it up they shared a quote for around £20 a month that includes servicing, MOT, courtesy car, collection and drop off, valet etc and I presumed would cover all the elements of servicing the car would need, however when I popped into the dealership today they said that they could tailor a service plan for me that took into account replacing the fuel/pollen/air filters this year, coolant change next year, filters, gearbox oil change and brake fluid change(I think) the year after that etc i.e. all the Honda recommended tasks. This then makes it £33.50 a month. Now I thought all these would have all been included in the original plan so was a bit miffed.

Obviously the filters will probably require changing, although they quote £38 each to change an air and a pollen filter, and £100 to replace a fuel filter. This seems steep to me, as I've replaced all these things in my uni days albeit on a 1985 Nissan Sunny, but it didn't cost me £180 or anything close to it and it took about 10 minutes.

So do I go for the cheaper basic package and then either a) foot the bill for the extras at the time IF they're needed, b) replace filters myself and just get them to do the more complicated bits...
OR go for the more expensive package and stop whining...

OR get the car serviced at the local garage where I always took my Accord and hope?

Cheers,

See less See more
#2 ·
To be honest, in my opinion these servicing packages that the dealers offer are just a way of guaranteeing work and income and offer very little if any savings to the customer.

Personally I stay clear of the main dealers for servicing work and use reputable independent garages instead.

#3 ·
I'm sure you're right. I've signed up anyway though to the full whack one including all the additional filter and fluid changes etc. at least I'll have the convenience of a smallish monthly payment and then hopefully no major surprises.

Managed to talk my way into a 30% discount too which has dropped the price nicely and I get the benefit of a main dealer stamp, discounts on parts, collect and return service etc and it ensures there's no grey area on the servicing side of the extended warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.