Servicing Is it too early for another service? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 13:48 Thread Starter

Garage
Is it too early for another service?

I've had my 2.2 2012 Civic for about a month now and have been looking through the Service History, and in light of my recent Timing Chain query I've been thinking about it's next servicing.

It's currently on 139K miles, and the last service was at 135K, by the booklet.

The next scheduled stamp is for 137.5K, but the prior stamp for 125K was done at 135K.

Would it be a waste to get it serviced again now, just 4K after the last? Would it be best to get it serviced now so as to start fresh?

It's last three services were:

November 2018 - 135K [Full Service]
July 2018 - 119K [Intermediate Service]
Feb 2018 - 106K [Full Service]

Not having owned a Honda before now, I'm not sure how temperamental they are, so I'll appeal to the wiser audience! I'm inclined to just take it it for another Full Service at a local garage. Or does anyone know anyone in Lincolnshire they can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 14:45
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmau5 View Post
Would it be a waste to get it serviced again now, just 4K after the last? Would it be best to get it serviced now so as to start fresh?
Yes and No respectively. The oil that was put in at 135k will not have 'worn out' in only 4k out of its 12.5k 'life'. It was the 16k old oil that was drained at 135 that would have been the suspect oil.
But if you want to waste your hard earned, go ahead anyway and get the timing chain changed at the same time while you are at it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 14:49
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,113 Times in 3,810 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
The services show quite a few 10k+ miles in just a few months, although if they're km's then that's fine.

As it's had a full service just 4k miles ago then wait until it's clocked up to the next service mark, 145k miles or or 151k km's ish

The 2.2 is pretty dependable and shouldn't hit you with any nasty surprises.

It'll really benefit from regular service intervals, as per manual.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 16:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Well I'd want to get it serviced now so that it's back on track!

I'd agree it's far from ideal that it had 16K between services. Other than that it's had immaculate servicing. I can't speak for previous owner negligence!

The next service mark in the book is 137,500, then 150,000 miles. Seeing as it's now at ~139000, I either play catch up, or wait until 150 - at least if I'm going by the books reccs.

It's had heavy use in the couple of years before I took over ownership, and I'll likely be doing considerably less miles in my time too.

I think to be safe I'll just take it in for a service soonish. Then get it done at the same time as the MOT next year (May 2020).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 17:11
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Then do it, you know you want to, and nothing we will say will divert you from your chosen course.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 17:39

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
Quote:

I'd agree it's far from ideal that it had 16K between services. Other than that it's had immaculate servicing. I can't speak for previous owner negligence!

The next service mark in the book is 137,500, then 150,000 miles. Seeing as it's now at ~139000, I either play catch up, or wait until 150 - at least if I'm going by the books reccs.

It's had heavy use in the couple of years before I took over ownership, and I'll likely be doing considerably less miles in my time too.

I think to be safe I'll just take it in for a service soonish. Then get it done at the same time as the MOT next year (May 2020).
You'd be best off getting it serviced for the peace of mind. Mine was done immediately after service in January. I'm already planning its next full service after only 4k. It's your car do whatever makes you happy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th June 2019, 20:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I can’t tell if you’re all taking the mick! And what do you mean by you serviced it immediately after its service, He_Who_Is_T?

I think I’ll get it serviced. I was open to leaving it but unfortunately noones swayed me to save £200!

Last edited by patchmau5; 12th June 2019 at 11:48.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th June 2019, 22:44

Car: 2013 Civic 2.2 i-Dtec
Garage
It got a service just before I bought it. However I got it home and had it serviced again immediately. Since then I've been doing things myself but it's next service will be done by a very reliable garage owned by a friend.

Till then I'm doing jobs I can't find any history of such as gearbox and clutch fluid.

Civinfo > All Civics > Buying, Dealers and Servicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page