Used Head over Heart - New or Used? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 14:24 Thread Starter

Post Head over Heart - New or Used?

So I've pretty much made my mind up in regards to my next car, and since I'm posting in this forum and sure you can guess what that might be. The only question that remains is a simple one - buy new and throw finances to the wind (which I've never done before, only 21), or used and save a pretty penny or two.

Now the spec I'm after is the 2.2 diesel EX with glass roof and leather. I'm aware that leather was a Honda option starting on EXs from 07 model year, which means that theres not much to be saved by going for one of those used, however there are great savings to be had by going for a 55 plate with glass roof, of which there are several, and using the services of an aftermarket leather company such as transform leather.

I'd very much appreciate any advice or comments, specifically concerning 06 model year cars and their design faults, and whether these are all rectified now. Also regarding the quality of the Honda fit and Transform leather interiors and how they stack up against each other.

Much thanks in advance for any advice you could offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 17:24
Silver Bullet Supporter

Car: 2.2 i-CTDi Type S GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHough View Post
So I've pretty much made my mind up in regards to my next car, and since I'm posting in this forum and sure you can guess what that might be. The only question that remains is a simple one - buy new and throw finances to the wind (which I've never done before, only 21), or used and save a pretty penny or two.
DH - you can't take it with you!!! (money that is).
I know what you mean about two minds and all that.
Have you looked at ex-demo though???
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 17:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stype_GT View Post
DH - you can't take it with you!!! (money that is).
I know what you mean about two minds and all that.
Have you looked at ex-demo though???
I have, ex-demo with the honda fit leather is only a grand less than I can get one new, and is additionally 250 miles away. Did I mention it's the only one available?

I guess I'm only looking at two extremes, first models (cheap cheap!) and brand new (new new!) but I'd like to think it's either one or the other, I don't like compromise.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 18:02
Silver Bullet Supporter

Car: 2.2 i-CTDi Type S GT
Quote:
I have, ex-demo with the honda fit leather is only a grand less than I can get one new, and is additionally 250 miles away. Did I mention it's the only one available?

I guess I'm only looking at two extremes, first models (cheap cheap!) and brand new (new new!) but I'd like to think it's either one or the other, I don't like compromise.
You might have to on the leather! I did! And you know what after all the backwards and forwards I had done in the end it wasn't a major.

But yeah your right - 250 miles away - F**k that!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 18:11
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT Crystal Black
Smile Heart..........like me!

DH.
Always a difficult decision as to whether to buy new or second hand. Finances (the lack of), normally dictates.
The vast majority of new cars will always lose money, but the feeling of ordering and then collecting a new car is brilliant.
Despite the fact I am over twice your age, I am acting like one even younger.
As regards the trim...........Always get the best you can afford.
Good Luck whatever way you go.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 20:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Can anyone here compare the Honda fit leather to aftermarket leather such as transform leather's?

Basically I'm thinking I can go used, benefit from it being cheap, and pay for the aftermarket leather so I essentially have a brand-new quality interior, at least in the way of upholstery.

But has anyone here been able to view and compare both leather interiors?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 16th August 2007, 22:53
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,772 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
I haven't seen the Transform leather, but I did briefly do some work for another aftermarket leather fitter. Their work was noticeably better than OEM. I'd have no qualms about getting it done.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 18th August 2007, 16:52
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Just judging by photos from the site, I think the aftermarket jobs look much nicer.
With regard to colours etc.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 18th August 2007, 18:05
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
The photos I've seen of the Transform efforts are very very impressive, the options are almost limitless and look really good quality.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 18th August 2007, 21:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Many thanks for the replies on the leather, it's very helpful.

If I do buy a 55-plate, anything in particular I need to look out for beyond what's mentioned in the wiki checklist? (That's for new cars, so you'd think an approved used Honda would already have all issued fixed).
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 08:00
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies on the leather, it's very helpful.

If I do buy a 55-plate, anything in particular I need to look out for beyond what's mentioned in the wiki checklist? (That's for new cars, so you'd think an approved used Honda would already have all issued fixed).
Do not assume that an approved Honda has the fixes.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 10:20
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Do not assume that an approved Honda has the fixes.
Indeed, my approved Honda had none of the fixes, and I had to request them myself.

Makes you wonder why the dealers miss the opportunity of easy money and saving the new customer hassle after the purchase.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 11:28
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
Indeed, my approved Honda had none of the fixes, and I had to request them myself.

Makes you wonder why the dealers miss the opportunity of easy money and saving the new customer hassle after the purchase.
Either:

a) Incompetent

b) It is in their blood to try to rip you off and cheat you as a customer

c) Lazy

d) All of the above

And it is NOT just Honda dealers.
And yes, there are some good dealer around.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 16:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So I went for an extended test drive of my chosen Civic spec today, really enjoyed it, the gadgets all worked really well (apart from the Sat Nav POIs being more concerned with France than the UK - dealer says 08 nav disc will probably not correct this, but I think he just wanted me to order ASAP, impossible to get the truth sometimes).

When it came time to talk about figures, the first price they quoted me was the manufacturers list price, which surprised me. Do people not in the know sometimes accept this price as final and pay up there and then? Unfortunately for them, I mentioned drivethedeal and autobytel and the salesman's grin soon faded. Talked about imported this and non-UK that, which I dismissed and told him to see what he could do on the price.

In any case, they came back and said that they would match the drivethedeal price, but that the drivethedeal price was not what I said it would be. It was around £18,850, and I checked his screen myself, when earlier it was £18,488 on my computer at home. I thought it was rather strange, and sure enough, when I get home, the previous price is still there. Have dealers started to forge drivethedeal pages in order to fool customers now? Or is my cache at fault? Could someone here check the price on drivethedeal for a 2.2 i-CTDi EX with leather and glass roof (with metallic paint option) and let me know what it reports please?

In addition, when I looked at the autobytel price on their computer (which was correctly shown), they told me it was all imports, with a clause in their contracts to change prices by up to 5% after an order. I couldn't check on their computer, but upon getting home I did and I found out autobytel is run by Inchcape, a UK dealership brand, and all models are UK models, and nothing about price changes, which a customer would surely have to agree to anyway. Not pleased.

In any case, they said they would do it for £18,850, but the finance they offered was crap. I felt some deception from them, so I told them I'd think about it. In any case, I don't think I'll be going back to them, especially if they did lie about drivethedeal and autobytel. How low do you go?

Last edited by DHough; 19th August 2007 at 16:11.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 17:11
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
How low do you go?
About 8% off list price of car + options.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 18:30
King of the rodeo

Quote:

When it came time to talk about figures, the first price they quoted me was the manufacturers list price, which surprised me. Do people not in the know sometimes accept this price as final and pay up there and then?
Some people do, they just don't have the confidence to haggle or feel that doing so is impolite!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 19th August 2007, 18:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Could someone please check the drivethedeal price on the spec I listed above?

I'd really like to know if the dealership was trying to pull a fast one and use a false drivethedeal page.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st August 2007, 12:26

DTD price for that spec shows up as £18,488.88 (2.2 EX + Leather + SR) on my pc.

The only question over price was about the 1.8 and 1.4 SE models as below

Extra Information
The discounted price for Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC SE 5dr and Honda Civic 1.4 i-DSi SE 5dr includes a £750 bonus which is conditional upon you taking out Finance with Honda.

Honda are offering 6.9% Typical APR (PCP finance). The finance must be taken out for 36 months with a deposit of 20%-35% of the cost of the car. Subject to Status. Terms and conditions apply.

If you do not wish to take out this finance then you will need to add £750 to the discounted prices that we will quote you for those particular cars.

All prices are valid for cars ordered after 10th July 2007 and registered, delivered and financed by 28th September 2007.

Stefan
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st August 2007, 12:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks ozzy, that's the price I was getting too.

So the dealer was trying to deceive me with the fake DTD price of 18,850+. Will certainly not buy a car from them now.

Are dealerships coming up with tricks and lies to compete with the DTD prices now then instead of rising to the occasion and competing honestly? C'mon, we're living in the information age. With the internet and free transfer of information, stuff like this just won't work anymore. Disappointed in them tbh.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st August 2007, 20:17
King of the rodeo

It seems a little far fetched that the dealer would fake the figures, what info do you have to input to get a quote? Do varying factors change the figures?

Civinfo > All Civics > Buying, Dealers and Servicing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page