2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Cleaning your pride & joy

15K views 114 replies 41 participants last post by  jdcampbell 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the Maguiars wash products yet, they are fantastic. Bought the wash, alloy cleaner, tyre shine and terry towelling cloth last night, i have never been more surprised, okay they are expensive and seem to be well marketed, but they seem to live up to the expectations. That towelling drying cloth is a must have.

Anyone else tried it?

#2 ·
YES! One of my threads I mentioned it after many recommendations, went to Halfords and spent a small fortune but well worth it.

I got the big bottle of Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner, alloy cleaner, tyre shine and the Wash mitt.
The wash mitt is brilliant, can't believe I've used a sponge all these years, just use a 2nd bucket of clean warm water to rinse the mitt inbetween each dip in the shampoo bucket, so much faster.
They also do a real wool mitt that has a bug/abrasive side on it which I've heard is good.

I bought the TurtleWax Platinum Bug/Sap remover spray for the bird droppings etc... about the only thing I couldn't find a Meguiar's version of!

#3 ·
I had a look at the Maguiars website and they do have a cleaner, but it is for use prior to polishing, so you would need to wax afterwards. I just used some Demon Shine after the shampoo, what a shine though.

I am tempted by the mitt, I just use a sponge and rinse that in a clean bucket, might give the mitt a go.

I do like the look of the polish, I quite fancy a show car look. Just been out to admire it, the sun is shining on it, it looks fantastic, in fact the shine is so good you can see your face in it, well mine.

#4 ·
Hello! :wink:

#10 ·
Thanks, lets just hope that it still looks like that in the morning bearing in mind the breaking news on Sky right now following the 2 explosions at the Billingham chemical plant a couple of miles from me, shook my house and I watched the fireball and gas clouds go up - we've all got to stay indoors, hoping my Civic doesn't get a new coating of anything!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5035734.stm

#11 ·
Beautiful shine on your car, mate! 8)

Too bad about that whole explosions incident. Let's hope your Civic is as good as new afterwards. :?

#14 ·
About an hour, doesn't take long to wash with that gold class shampoo and wash mitt. Sponge and hot water/shampoo on the wheels this time, probably took longer to dry it with the chamois leather than to do anything else :)

Well my car isn't glowing green and I'm still breathing so it must be safe outside now ;)

#16 ·
Fedorov, that looks tremendous. I went to Halfords tonight and bought a container of Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner after seeing this picture. I hope the results look half as good as yours :D

I use tyre black as well. Car Plan Tyre Slik is best on test with Autoexpress. Wilkinsons sell it for £2.85 and its a tin twice the size of what you'll get in Halfords

#22 ·
What's the best way to clean the car given the fact that I don't have a driveway, I have a shared garage with no way I could use water in there due to room & lack of drain and the nearest place to park is a good way down the road.

#23 ·
i went to halfords today looking for the products recomended by auto express and the pace was awful no logical order and many products not to be seen so i dropped my basket and walked out lol.

anyway i recomend this site which sells all the top products as tested by auto express in one package and as i have used many of the products already i would highly rrecomend it.

http://www.autobestbuy.co.uk/

#115 ·
Thanks for the mention again!!

i went to halfords today looking for the products recomended by auto express and the pace was awful no logical order and many products not to be seen so i dropped my basket and walked out lol.

anyway i recomend this site which sells all the top products as tested by auto express in one package and as i have used many of the products already i would highly rrecomend it.

http://www.autobestbuy.co.uk/
Thanks for the mention again. Just like to make some suggestions regarding some of the issues raised in this thread:

For day to day cleaning of the dash I think the Armor all MATT dash wipes are brilliant. Not only do they do a great cleaning job, but they also are so much more convenient than a spray / clean / polish off approach. Just as any father (and mother) on here will testify to the indispensability of baby wipes when you have kids, so it is with these car wipes. They make keeping the dashboad free of dust so easy. The Gloss dash wipes are only for those people who really WANT a gloss finish - they leave me cold.

The Glass wipes are similarly good for keeping the inside of the windscreen grime free on a regular basis.

Some peeps have mentioned Rain-X: try the Comma RAIN CLEAR - much easier to apply thoroughly because it is a Gel, not a thin runnny liquid.

See my other recent post for a 10% discount on anything in the shop - and please call me if you want a group buy of anything or want me to stock some of these other products you have had good experiences with.

Thanks

Doug

#24 ·
Got some bits for washing the car. Never washed my own car before in my entire life :)

Got:

Meguiars Applicator Pads
Meguiars Microfibre towels (x3)
Wonderwheels Alloy Cleaning Kit
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo/Conditioner
Meguiars Liquid Polish
Lambswool Mitt
Bug/insect remover thing
Rain-X Glass Cleaner
Rain-X Glass treatment

I'll do a before and after, and finally post those bloody exhaust pics ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.