Advice from Meguiars users needed! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 12:16 Thread Starter
..with Superchips please!

Send a message via MSN to Trekker308
Advice from Meguiars users needed!

Like many others I have traditionally used Autoglym products to look after my cars, but after all the good words said about Meguiars products on the forum I splashed out on a Gold Class Wash and Wax Kit + Microfibre Wash Mitt.

I've washed 'n' waxed twice now (yeh, I know it's only 4 days old... ) and although the result certainly has 'glitter factor' as the shine is highly reflective, it seems to lack the depth of shine I've been used to using Autoglym - so,

Is this the nature of Gold Class Wax / does it 'build up' to a deeper shine?
Do any other Meguiars products give a deeper shine?
Just a thought - Is this the way Galaxy Grey is...?

I can't afford to go crazy with purchases as I'm challenged on the employment front at the moment - so be kind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 13:34
Supporter

I used 'Autoglym' for years, excellent product but I always found their polish 'dusty' (especially on dark colours). I find Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax to be easy to apply with one of their application sponges and very easy to polish off with a minimum of dust residue.

I also use their 'Quik Detailer' for in between waxing. You just spray and shine each panel. You can cover a whole car in 10 mins or so.

For tyres I use Meguiars 'Endurance High Gloss'. This is a long lasting tyre protection gel and simply wipes on with an applicator sponge. Leaves a brilliant sheen that really does last for weeks and no 'spray over' onto the wheels or the driveway.

In my time I have tried a multitude of products, but Meguiars seems the best 'all-rounder'.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 15:40

The ag products you have are just as good, the srp followed by the egp will produce an excellent finish. The reason the srp dust's is due to using too much of the product. The meg's gold class on it's own will need some help with either a quality polish or glaze to get the best out of it as it's more of a last stage product. If you want a deeper shine try their show car glaze #7 from the bodyshop range before the wax.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 19:22

Anyone with a black or red one has a head start over us blueish silver or silver owners - upside is that they display their shine so much better, downside is they show dust/dirt too easily.
Meguiars is the one for me - NXT Tech Wax and any in-between boosters from NXT Generation Spray Wax. The only downside is that they are not very plastic friendly and will leave a white deposit. So care is needed with the new Civic - there is a lot of plastic to cut into to coin a painting and decorating term. Tyres I use Hot Shine Tire Spray - find this has less fling than their Endurance.
My brand loyalty goes with the alloys - I use Turtle Wax Nano Tech Wax For Wheels - find it not only makes the wheels gleam it also helps to remove the brake dust more easily at the next clean.
Glass and mirrors all treated with Rain X . Lasts for ages and the glass cleans so easily - all it needs when clean and damp is a wipe to dry with some Tork paper roll - brilliant - no smears.

But as we all know washing/drying is the most important part and to start with a thoroughly clean non contaminated surface.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 22:31 Thread Starter
..with Superchips please!
** Thread starter **

Send a message via MSN to Trekker308
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd
If you want a deeper shine try their show car glaze #7 from the bodyshop range before the wax.
Thanks johnd - I'll try that!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2006, 09:27

Which wax do you use after the #7 ?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2006, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassa
Which wax do you use after the #7 ?
Bassa, after the #7 as it's a glaze i would use a sealant for extra durability. My choice would be Poorboys EX-P or Autoglym extra gloss protection which should be available from Halfords. Then you can use your favourite wax,my choice on dark colours is Poorboys natty blue paste wax and on lights i use Optimum car wax. Both are available from here http://www.motorgeek.co.uk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2006, 14:27
Supporter

Hi johnd, that looks a good site, have you tried the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2006, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt
Hi johnd, that looks a good site, have you tried the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant?
Not tried it as i just use Autoglym srp followed by their egp on the wheels until i run out anyway, but i've heard good reports from other people ,then most of there range of products are very good for the price.

Civinfo > All Civics > Cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page