Video Aftermarket DVD players - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 14:27 Thread Starter

Sorry, thought I'd ask the question (even though I still have a long wait) but I have started thinking about whether to go all out and get a "multimedia system" fitted eg two LCD TFT screens built in to the headrests plus a DVD player installed somewhere. Whilst making a few speculative calls to a few places in London one of them asked if I wanted a screen in the passenger sun visor and I wonder how this might go if the sun visor has writing all over it !!

Any views/pics available ? Not even sure what size screen would fit, 6.5" widescreen ?

Any one else contemplating this (and I guessing its the family crew with the all to famiiar screaming kids in the back !!!!)

Thxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 14:50
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newboy
Sorry, thought I'd ask the question (even though I still have a long wait) but I have started thinking about whether to go all out and get a "multimedia system" fitted eg two LCD TFT screens built in to the headrests plus a DVD player installed somewhere. Whilst making a few speculative calls to a few places in London one of them asked if I wanted a screen in the passenger sun visor and I wonder how this might go if the sun visor has writing all over it !!

Any views/pics available ? Not even sure what size screen would fit, 6.5" widescreen ?

Any one else contemplating this (and I guessing its the family crew with the all to famiiar screaming kids in the back !!!!)

Thxs
The only kits I have seen like this actually use a replacement sun visor...
Not sure that I could cope with watching it an an angle to be honest (as a font passenger), or if (as the driver) it would be distracting.

I have contemplated a pair of screens for the back though, you can pick them up quite cheaply these days

Personally though if I do go for it, will go down the 'completly removable' route rather than fitted in the headrests.
But that's just me not wanting to tempt fate
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 14:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks TTDegs.

It's only a thought at this stage, of course, but I'm also weighing up detachable versus fixed route. Company I spoke to says they like to work with the original car parts so that it doesn't look too after-market so they do use the cars existing sun visor !!! I think they were saying some of the detachable ones are fixed with a bracket so if someone sees that they will guess there are some screens in the car so either way you're stuffed. I may pop down to their showroom one day closer to the time.

Keep us informed (as I'm sure you will) if you decide to progress with the screens.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 14:57
Supporter

Biggest trouble with 'built in' is if they go wrong are you without your car
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 15:06
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Allan - very welcome

happened to spot this in ToysRUs (of all places) t'other day

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.asp...Players/828319

2x 7" widescreens and a player for 130...

prob not the best the in world, but afterall, we're talking about keeping the kids entertained for a couple of hours here, not using them as the main screen in your living room

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 15:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Indeed! Thanks Allan.

Other option is a completely standalone portable DVD player with a built in screen that you can run off the cigarette lighter. Screens keep getting bigger and bigger. I thinks Phillips do one with 10.2" widescreen and one of the Panasonic models I've seen on the net is 9" and comes with a car bracket. With these you can use at home, on a plane etc so there are definite advantages (plus a lot cheaper than "built in").

If anyone has any set up for their rear passengers could I make a kind request for some pics ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2006, 10:24
Enthusiastic Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 5 door, Cosmic grey
Send a message via MSN to Miggins
Chinese whispers

Amazing how things 'creep'

This started off on labels and ended up on DVD players.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st September 2006, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
Indeed! Thanks Allan.

Other option is a completely standalone portable DVD player with a built in screen that you can run off the cigarette lighter. Screens keep getting bigger and bigger. I thinks Phillips do one with 10.2" widescreen and one of the Panasonic models I've seen on the net is 9" and comes with a car bracket. With these you can use at home, on a plane etc so there are definite advantages (plus a lot cheaper than "built in").

If anyone has any set up for their rear passengers could I make a kind request for some pics ?
Hey newboy,

Look @ this:

http://www.nextbase-europe.com/produ...luxe-spec.html

in combination with :
http://www.brodit.com/productinforma...sortiment=null

greetings

Ghosty Boy
Bornem - Belgium

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page