Electrics Folding mirror opens all the way back - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th September 2013, 13:09 Thread Starter

Folding mirror opens all the way back

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Civic 5 door. Whenever I turn on the car the left side mirror folds all the way back (close to the windshield). The right one stays in its place - as it should. the car doesn't have auto-fold function, just the manual electrical fold. I already tried replacing the safety shut-off unit (the black box in the mirror body) but this didn't solve the problem. I have it disconnected now but why is this mirror trying to open each time I turn on the car while the other doesn't and how can I fix it without replacing the whole mirror body?

Thanks,

Fadi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th September 2013, 13:46
Supporter

Car: Civic Type-S GT
I came here today with the same problem, exactly, and have seen your post. I have no idea yet, hopefully someone can throw a clue our way?

When I turn the ignition, like you said, the passenger side mirror folds out and literally doesn't stop until it is facing away from the car. I heard a loud "click" or snapping sound as it did this, too. Now it does it every single time. I can't look at it just yet as someone smashed my window in the early hours (they had quite a spate and got caught in the end) so it is in the garage until tomorrow.

I would like to get this fixed ASAP. Does anyone have any ideas before I take off the mirror tomorrow?

Thanks.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th September 2013, 15:26
Supporter

Try folding the mirror out when the one that's affected stops get out and manually fold it back till it clicks then fold them in using the button then back out it should sort it I think if not the mirror might need replacing?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th September 2013, 15:31
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Sounds like the mirror "stop" is in the wrong position?
There have been reports of the window reset procedure fixing mirror issues
Electric window reset procedure - Civinfo Wiki

Or a manual adjustment as above might be able to reset it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 5th October 2013, 21:24
Supporter

Car: Civic Type-S GT
Neither of these suggestions worked, sadly! But thank you... I think I will try and remove the mirror at some point tomorrow and see if I can spot anything untoward. The replacement prices really do make for unpleasant viewing, so I hope there is something I can do!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2013, 20:29

I do have the same problem, and easyest way is to remove the mirrorcover as mentioned in the treads. Let the mirror fold automatically and release the current plug as the mirror reaches the ideal position.
Leave it for the time beeing that way and save "some" bucks for a new set of mirrors, or give all the breakeryards a call..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th April 2016, 10:12
Supporter

Car: 2006 CTS GT 2.2 , Vivid Blue
Holy thread revival Batman !

Our Type S has started doing this but on the drivers side the mirror randomly on start up moves all the way out with a bang until it stops about 60 degrees past where it should ? Did anyone fully sort it in the end?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2016, 13:11
Supporter

Unfortunately it's new wing mirror time. I've just replaced my passenger one for the very same reason.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2016, 19:14

Car: 2006 1.8 ES petrol v-tech
I would have thought the motor must have a travel limiter that is either a microswitch device separate from the motor or it operates by a certain number of rotations of the cog within the motor gearing, so if the mirror was knocked at some point then the cogs would be out of flunter and would need resetting, the same principles would be applied to electric aerials and windows. The only other possibility is an electronic timer built in to the controlling SOD unit at fault.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2016, 18:49
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 EX, NHB
Hope you get your Mirrors sorted guy's. If and when you do stop by my thread and take a look at my Module for Folding/Unfolding on Key press.

Or #Syx can help you with faulty SOD's. http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo...od-repair.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2016, 20:10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I would have thought the motor must have a travel limiter that is either a microswitch device separate from the motor or it operates by a certain number of rotations of the cog within the motor gearing, so if the mirror was knocked at some point then the cogs would be out of flunter and would need resetting, the same principles would be applied to electric aerials and windows. The only other possibility is an electronic timer built in to the controlling SOD unit at fault.
This is exactly as I thought but yet to find the evidence , mine does not fold when you put the ignition on but when you press the engine start button it moves surely this must be electrical as a rogue pulse or feed must be being sent to the motor? It also does it if I use the mirror fold/unfold button though I don't know if the repair of the module would fix it as it also seems to be a mechanical stop issue in the mirror judging by the terrible bang it makes as it goes past where it should stop?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12th May 2016, 22:09
Supporter

Just to update I have managed to stop it doing this but at the cost of it not folding at all which I hardly ever used ! I just took the SOD unit out, Bliss!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th July 2016, 02:45

My missus managed to damage our drivers side mirror when she clipped it off the gate post reversing into our drive.
I unplugged the sod unit and jammed a small piece of rubber tube in the gap to stop it rattling.
A very small piece of black plastic fell out of the mirror when I dismantled it although it disappeared down a crack in the drive so I didn't get a good look at it.
My guess is it was part of a bump stop or something that she managed to break.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th July 2016, 17:48

Car: 2006 1.8 ES petrol v-tech
There is undoubtedly a locating pin arrangement whether its a power folding or not as moving it manually it locates itself, if that pin breaks it will not stay in position regardless of mirror type. There are some Google threads regarding relearning the motors stop and start positions simply by manually moving it whilst operating the switch, some motors stop themselves when they reach the limit of travel as the voltage peaks and power is cut off electronically, not sure which system Honda uses.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2016, 07:30
Supporter

Honda has a stop pin I only know this as when we looked inside mine that was going out too far the pin was broken off and we recovered it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 30th July 2016, 09:23

Is it definitely new mirror time?

My type r mirror just started doing it when I switch the ignition on. It folds all the way back and then it bangs and stops. I fold it back around but there is a gap in the joint where it doesn't sit flush, the point where I bend it to sit flush the mirror is facing too inward.

Thanks
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 3rd October 2019, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4amanda View Post
Honda has a stop pin I only know this as when we looked inside mine that was going out too far the pin was broken off and we recovered it.
I have the same problem with my mirrors that you had. Did you manage to fix the mirror eventually when you took it apart and found the stop pin? Or did you have to get a whole new unit? Many thanks for your help in advance.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page