Add-on nav Double Din Using Cars USB/AUX Ports - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 12:50 Thread Starter

Car: '11 CTS 1.8
Double Din Using Cars USB/AUX Ports

Is it possible to fit a double din sat nav unit to my civic, but then still use the USB/AUX ports in the armrest?

If so has anybody got a 'how to' on this?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 12:56
Supporter

Car: '09 BRONZE CTR GT
i'll be getting a double din HU in a couple of weeks and just bought a facelift arm rest to try and do exactly this, need to find out what the connections and cables are like for the OEM setup and hopefully intergrate it
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 14:14
Supporter

Car: 2010 CTR, Milano red
Why? I use the micro SD slot on my Pioneer which can hold many thousands of songs. If that's not enough, you can burn MP3's onto a dvd which can hold several more thousand. Then there's my 64gb iphone I can either plug in or stream via bluetooth if that's still not enough. The video lead has a USB socket on it too.

I left my armrest USB/Aux wiring unmutilated so I can fit the old headunit when I sell the car.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 14:27
Supporter

why not ?

Your set up sounds great (for you) and i'm sure it works well (for you) but the double din i want doesn't have an SD slot or CD/DVD slot, so won't work for me

It's built for direct connection with an iPod or Android phone so plan to have an iPod connected permanently which will sit in the arm rest

The whole point is so i don't need to 'mutilate' anything and so it looks like an OEM install and so i don't need to have any wires running from the power socket near the gear stick as this will give me another power outlet

I too will be able to put everything back to how Honda intended it and as you put it to an 'unmutilated' state
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 17:22
Supporter

You will need to find a pinout for the headunit you are buying and wire this directly to your aux socket missing out the Honda control box. Good luck, I wasn't kidding about the wiring mutilation.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 18:40
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by calum001 View Post
why not ?

Your set up sounds great (for you) and i'm sure it works well (for you) but the double din i want doesn't have an SD slot or CD/DVD slot, so won't work for me

It's built for direct connection with an iPod or Android phone so plan to have an iPod connected permanently which will sit in the arm rest

The whole point is so i don't need to 'mutilate' anything and so it looks like an OEM install and so i don't need to have any wires running from the power socket near the gear stick as this will give me another power outlet

I too will be able to put everything back to how Honda intended it and as you put it to an 'unmutilated' state
Couldn't agree more, I think it's a very sensible idea, and I considered doing it myself, however my double din doesn't have simple AUX in, and supports a USB hub so I didn't follow this route.

One issue I see is that you do need the Honda wiring too, or at least the connectors... If you see the following picture, you will notice that the armrest has no wires, just sockets. I can't remember if you can remove these, but there must be wires going from the socket below, to the actual sockets above.

USB/AUX sockets
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 19:12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by discus View Post
You will need to find a pinout for the headunit you are buying and wire this directly to your aux socket missing out the Honda control box. Good luck, I wasn't kidding about the wiring mutilation.
thats the one socket i'm not bothered about using at all, will be using the USB and power outlet only, i have no use for the aux at present

there is nothing saying i have to use the Honda wiring loom since i am replacing the HU, it's just the connectors i have to find a way of dealing with

you seem to know what your talking about so i might end up not finding a good solution to this and i'll hold my hands up, no harm in trying and i'm the first to admit i definitely don't know it all though

all up for constructive critisism but you've been totally negative in the 2 threads i've mentioned this now and not quite sure why you've kind of taken offence to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
Couldn't agree more, I think it's a very sensible idea, and I considered doing it myself, however my double din doesn't have simple AUX in, and supports a USB hub so I didn't follow this route.

One issue I see is that you do need the Honda wiring too, or at least the connectors... If you see the following picture, you will notice that the armrest has no wires, just sockets. I can't remember if you can remove these, but there must be wires going from the socket below, to the actual sockets above.

USB/AUX sockets
thanks mate i'm not planning on using the AUX and yeh the connections will be the only/main hurdle as far as i see, what double din do you have?

i've taken a gamble and bought the arm rest (just came today) and i've not even seen the type of connections yet but i'll soon see how much of a pain it will be, i'm only going to do it if it can be done professionally and not a bodge DIY effort (will be enlisting the help of an electrician pal )

might not work at all but worst case is i get the standard wiring and it's a nice wee upgrade for when i reinstall the standard HU when selling or i just sell on the arm rest
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12th December 2013, 21:09
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
thats the one socket i'm not bothered about using at all, will be using the USB and power outlet only, i have no use for the aux at present

there is nothing saying i have to use the Honda wiring loom since i am replacing the HU, it's just the connectors i have to find a way of dealing with

you seem to know what your talking about so i might end up not finding a good solution to this and i'll hold my hands up, no harm in trying and i'm the first to admit i definitely don't know it all though

all up for constructive critisism but you've been totally negative in the 2 threads i've mentioned this now and not quite sure why you've kind of taken offence to this
Agreed, not sure why there is such hatred towards this mod, I think it's a great idea, and hardly complex. There is no need for pinouts of headunits and wiring directly into things... What is this nonsense about a Honda control box too?

Quote:
thanks mate i'm not planning on using the AUX and yeh the connections will be the only/main hurdle as far as i see, what double din do you have?

i've taken a gamble and bought the arm rest (just came today) and i've not even seen the type of connections yet but i'll soon see how much of a pain it will be, i'm only going to do it if it can be done professionally and not a bodge DIY effort (will be enlisting the help of an electrician pal )

might not work at all but worst case is i get the standard wiring and it's a nice wee upgrade for when i reinstall the standard HU when selling or i just sell on the arm rest
AUX is not hard to wire up whilst you're at it, if the headunit supports it you might as well do it.

All I can see you needing, is once you have figured out how to connect to the sockets under the armrest, or remove them, a USB cable to cut one end off and connect armrest socket to, and simply plug the other end into the headunit.

It really is one of the simpler mods once the tricky part of figuring out the connector is sorted.

discus seems to be making it sound like you're falling into a pit of fire.

I've got an Android headunit, you can take a look in my thread if you're interested.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery...-cam-more.html

With regards to using it on your old headunit if this doesn't work, unfortunately not as you'd need the 2009 headunit, plus the relevant wiring.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th December 2013, 14:28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
Agreed, not sure why there is such hatred towards this mod, I think it's a great idea, and hardly complex. There is no need for pinouts of headunits and wiring directly into things... What is this nonsense about a Honda control box too?

AUX is not hard to wire up whilst you're at it, if the headunit supports it you might as well do it.

All I can see you needing, is once you have figured out how to connect to the sockets under the armrest, or remove them, a USB cable to cut one end off and connect armrest socket to, and simply plug the other end into the headunit.

It really is one of the simpler mods once the tricky part of figuring out the connector is sorted.

discus seems to be making it sound like you're falling into a pit of fire.

I've got an Android headunit, you can take a look in my thread if you're interested.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/gallery...-cam-more.html

With regards to using it on your old headunit if this doesn't work, unfortunately not as you'd need the 2009 headunit, plus the relevant wiring.
exactly mate good to have some constructive banter

i'm going to strip the arm rest down and see what i have to deal with when i get a min, will update this or start a new thread depending on the OP, don't want to take over this thread !
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th December 2013, 16:38
Supporter

I'm not trying to be negative about this but there are some problems plus there is no easy 'how too' as there are so many makes of double din offering problems on how to connect the socket up.

If it were me, I wouldn't entertain using the Honda wiring, would just buy the plugs that fit into the armrest and modify an input lead that fits your stereo. The plugs are pretty small and not easy for a diy'er and really you want a solution that everyone is capable of doing.

The difficulty really depends on what head unit you have, some will be much easier than others.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th December 2013, 17:41
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
I'm not trying to be negative about this but there are some problems plus there is no easy 'how too' as there are so many makes of double din offering problems on how to connect the socket up.

If it were me, I wouldn't entertain using the Honda wiring, would just buy the plugs that fit into the armrest and modify an input lead that fits your stereo. The plugs are pretty small and not easy for a diy'er and really you want a solution that everyone is capable of doing.

The difficulty really depends on what head unit you have, some will be much easier than others.
Depending on your knowledge, a how to is really not required. Knowing how to use a multimeter, and basic soldering skills with some common sense should suffice.

In this case, he does not have the wiring anyway. I think buying just the plugs would be difficult, if not impossible. Unless you could get to a breakers yard and cut them out. I would look at either an alternative connector, or, checking behind the sockets to see what wiring is there and tap into that.

I'm assuming that the headunit has a USB socket, so you just connect a USB cable to it... No complication there.

However if someone is wanting to use an iPod rather than a memory stick, that would be a whole different game as usually headunits have a separate iPod cable, rather than being able to plug in via USB.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th December 2013, 18:13
Supporter

Who are you talking about? the guy who started the thread has a 2011 car with it fitted already.

The Honda wiring is trickier as the socket requires an adapter lead to connect a USB so is non standard for a start. Also in the wiring is an iphone controller so you can use the steering wheel buttons, this of course becomes useless when you remove the old headunit hence why I am negative about using the loom.

If the headunit has a USB then I dont get why anyone would go through the hassle of wiring up to the plug. I just ran a lead into the centre console on my old Civic. The wires are tiny in these leads and definitely not easy to solder and be durable.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 13th December 2013, 19:12
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Who are you talking about? the guy who started the thread has a 2011 car with it fitted already.

The Honda wiring is trickier as the socket requires an adapter lead to connect a USB so is non standard for a start. Also in the wiring is an iphone controller so you can use the steering wheel buttons, this of course becomes useless when you remove the old headunit hence why I am negative about using the loom.

If the headunit has a USB then I dont get why anyone would go through the hassle of wiring up to the plug. I just ran a lead into the centre console on my old Civic. The wires are tiny in these leads and definitely not easy to solder and be durable.
Most of my responses are direct towards calum001 as he is the most active in this thread.

I appreciate the OP already has the loom, and I would not advise cutting into it.

From what I remember, the armrest socket is nothing fancy and the socket itself does not have any electronics built in, I believe that side of things is handled by the headunit.

So, this means it should be no problem to go straight from the Honda socket to a USB cable to your new headunit. It doesn't matter that the Honda socket inside the armrest requires an adapter, I believe it is still only 4 cables, either way, without any sort of electronics, one wire has to lead to another if that makes sense. So simple use of a multimeter can tell you what to connect where.

Do you mean the internal USB cables are thin and not durable enough? This does depend on the quality of lead you buy, but they are more than durable and easy to solder usually. Can always add a bit of hot glue to secure the outer casing to the bottom of the armrest. Not like the cable should be exposed to any force though.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page