Satnav sat nav problem main dealers prices? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th January 2014, 17:46 Thread Starter

sat nav problem main dealers prices?

hi,, ive asked about this before but i try again,, i have a 2006 cdti ex,factory sat nav reading disc error consult dealer,,cleaned disc and replaced with another one even, still reading error, has anyone any idea what honda charge for repairs to this/. ive tried to avoid main dealers but no one will touch it steve,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 9th January 2014, 12:18
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8ES Civic, Blue
Hi, would have thought the most likely cause would be the DVD player itself. you can get them from a breaker/ebay. Would suggest contacting replacing this, if its not the dvd player, they are fairly easy to sell on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 15th January 2014, 13:33
Supporter

Car: 2007 57 EX 2.2 NHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
hi,, ive asked about this before but i try again,, i have a 2006 cdti ex,factory sat nav reading disc error consult dealer,,cleaned disc and replaced with another one even, still reading error, has anyone any idea what honda charge for repairs to this/. ive tried to avoid main dealers but no one will touch it steve,
have you done the forced upload via the 'hidden menu' on the sat nav?

If not try that then if it doesn't work you might want to try the ruler and baby wipe method that I've read about on Accord forums although be careful. Lots of people seem to have good results from it.

You get a ruler and wrap a baby wipe around i then insert into the disc drive, move it side to side a few times and remove, give it a while to dry off and hey presto!

Honestly I'm not kidding, my mate has an accord and we found the method when trying to sort his out:

SatNav won't work HELP - TypeAccord

I'd use an alcohol wuipe rather than a baby wipe that will likely have moisturising stuff in it/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 00:52
Supporter

Car: 2.2 Sport 2007
i have an Accord and the baby wipe worked but then the next day it stopped again.... the best thing to do is to remove the dvd drive and send it to Alpine for repair. from memory it costs about 160 plus p&p and comes back fully working and with 12 months guarantee. Honda will send it off for you but i was quoted about 300+ for removal. p&p repair and re-fitting...... ive never got round to getting it done and tbh when it did work it was pretty crap although its always nice to have things working. Honda update the discs about every 12 months and at theor crazy prices i think ill do without. apparently copied discs will not work but ive never tried one tbh. if you do try the ruler and wipe method then be very careful as the insides are very easily damaged and you may cause more harm than good.... its basically a very poor design dvd drive thats used that i think was revised in 2007 on the Accord so i would guess they did the same with the civic.

if you have a smart phone then just buy a cradle for it and save lots of by using the sat nav on that instead.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 12:37
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 CTS GT-T Milano Red
You will see I have thread going regaring this

Mines under warrantee but the dealer states for me to get a dvd cleaner as the fault is generally the laser becomes dirty/dusty

I have yet to get one but will let you know if it works
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2014, 14:05
Supporter

Car: 2.2 Sport 2007
i tried the dvd cleaner but it didnt work. worth a go but dont get your hopes up.... fingers crossed though it will do the job
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4th February 2014, 22:06
Supporter

Car: 2010 Volvo C30 R-Design
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachm...ing-camera.pdf

Yank it out and send it off to Alpine in Milton Keynes; they refurbed mine a couple of years back and no problems since; then it was about 160.00 including courier return; it will take about 90 mins to pull out and around an hour to replace - the turnaround on repairs was about ten days so not too bad and as laurascar said guaranteed for 12 months. I have no problems running my 'back up' discs from 'out there' that keep the originals in pristine condition......
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th February 2014, 22:12

my civic satnav works ok, but my accord one won'y work when cold! says error reading disc, but when disc and system warms up, it works ok. sometimes takes 20 miles untill disc warm enough to work, ok in summer though. its done this for last 3 years!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page