Electrics iShift Error lights on Dash and loss of gear - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10th January 2014, 23:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

iShift Error lights on Dash and loss of gear

Had a very strange issue today on my way back from work.

Car was running normally for about 10mins of my 30 minute home journey- of which 20mins was in heavy traffic moving at 1 to 5mph.

I noticed first the headlights started flickering now and then (about 4 times before the real problems started). I then had total loss of power for about a split second while the car was moving at 2mph. VAS, ABS lights cam on dash- gears disengaged from 1st to neutral and lost headlights.

This happened twice and i thought its best to pull over-so maneuvered through the heavy traffic to a safe position. Just as i was about to park up to check the engine bay I get a gear cog on the display with an exclamation mark and loose any sort of drive.

I switch off the engine and wait 2 minutes. Restarted car and it starts up fine. Switched it back off and checked the engine bay- all looks ok.

Wait for a few more minutes and then return to my trip home. It was fine all the way home after that. I did notice the engine bay making a fan noise as if the AC is on even though the ac was off in the car. Engine temp on dash was at the 1/3rd mark as normal.

Now I haven't reset the battery yet and don't plan to until I get a ODB reader off ebay and check the diagnostic codes.

Car fully serviced last summer- hasn't missed a beat in 5 years until now.

I'm guessing the clutch overheated from the intense traffic which may have caused the loss in drive- but why did the electrics misbehave?

Any ideas?

ps. car has done 43k on the original clutch.

pps will this code reader be fine with the civic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Acco...item3385627bcf

Last edited by egraphistudios; 11th January 2014 at 00:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th January 2014, 18:32
Supporter

This reader will do just fine: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/704...ial-tools.html

I would check the battery first as it seems you had some power related issues rather than mechanical.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th January 2014, 21:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

You know what.. it was all down to a corroded earth point.

I borrowed a odb reader from a friend and it didn't show any errors. Which got me thinking it must be something else.

So after inspecting and discussing with a few friends I looked around then noticed the earth point was corroded.

So cleaned it out with grit paper, and re-bonded the earth point and voila- no more flickering lights and much smoother start.

such a simple thing caused so much issues.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th January 2014, 22:35
Supporter

Ha! Well done, and a good tip too

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page