Battery Alternator issues? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th January 2014, 18:49 Thread Starter
Supporter

Alternator issues?

Hey all,

Just got home from work and noticed my lights suddenly go dim in the car. Thought it odd so got a multimeter and took readings.

The car drops to 12.6v at idle (battery voltage) and even reving it does not produce 14.x volts. It's only when you drop it back to idle from say 2000 rpm that it charges for a few seconds and then drops off again.

Blipping the throttle produces charge for a few seconds and then again, back to 12.6v

I've taken a video to show the dealers on Tuesday but does anyone have any pointers as to whether its likely to be the alternator?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frq13xq0lv...%2001%2053.mov

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th January 2014, 19:25
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,043 Posts
I don't think you can draw conclusions from the battery terminal voltage at idle... you need to get it up to at least 1500 RPM and check you have around 14.4V even with the heated rear window, blower and headlights all turned on. Otherwise it's either the alternator or a duff connection somewhere.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th January 2014, 19:30 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

You can hold it at 1500 rpm with no load and it still sits at battery voltage. You have to put lights, heated rear window on to get it to go up to 14.4 volts. Failing that, if you drop back to idle it'll charge for a few seconds and then cut out.

My problem is this : I drive to work with just the stereo on, and unless you drop throttle it doesn't seem to charge at all.

Edit : It certainly shouldn't be showing battery voltage at idle... I've restarted it four or five times to check if it behaves the same so the battery certainly wanted charge.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th January 2014, 19:25
Supporter

sounds like alternator brushes are on their way out i had a very similar problem with an alternator a while back that was behaving similar

it's a 10 quid DIY fix if you can get the alternator off the car i don't know how much a garage would charge they tend to recondition / replace and charge accordingly

the switching lights on etc.. to get the alternator to produce 14.4 volts throws me a bit usually when the brushes are worn switching lights on etc.. tends to make the situation worse but it still might be the culprit

Last edited by cosmicma; 18th January 2014 at 19:29.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th January 2014, 22:01 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Its under warranty thankfully so I'll let Honda sort it out. It needs load to make voltage for some reason! I don't understand it, and I figured it probably wouldn't behave the same at the dealership so I video'd it for them and the knowledgeable forum to see
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 21st January 2014, 18:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well they say its a feature of the ECU to tell the alternator to stop charging...... heres hoping that's true as its a pig to start sometimes.

I give up!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page