Warnings seat belt notification - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 21:16 Thread Starter

seat belt notification

hello all
does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the seat belt not being worn beep beep bloody beep , there is occasions where i go on a short journey without wearing my seat belt around town.and would like to do so with no bleep bleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:11
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Oh oh, I'm keeping my head down. No comment
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:13

I think you're going to be out of luck on this one (as you might be one day on your short journey !!!!!)

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

there must be someone out there that feels the same
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:23

there is no swtich or knob to turn off any safety feature of the car , i'm afraid.

The only know how i know is to wear the seat belt whist driving. [/list]
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:30
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Best way to stop this is to quickly pop the seat belt on, start the engine and then give yourself a pat on the back for wearing your belt.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 22:34

scottie,b - my current car doesn't have any seat belt warning but can imagine it would be very annoying. As Jazz and BG have suggested best to just wear the belt. I have to tell our two year old why she needs her seat belt on in her car seat so it helps if I also have mine on otherwise all I'd hear, along with the "beep, beep", is "whats that daddy" !!!!
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 23:40
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.6 Diesel, Sporty Blue
Re: seat belt notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie,b
hello all
does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the seat belt not being worn beep beep bloody beep , there is occasions where i go on a short journey without wearing my seat belt around town.and would like to do so with no bleep bleep
Sorry **, no sympathy you SHOULD have your seatbelt on no excuses
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 8th September 2006, 23:45

At work I dont wear a seat belt and leave the belt plugged in stretched behind the seat (not my car at work). At work though I am not on a public road and not required to wear a belt. Each journey is about 1 minute and dosnt go over 20mph.
On public roads I always wear a belt. You may be ok at driving but lots of others out there are not so protect yourself from them.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 00:17
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Of course wearing your seat belt is a good idea. And it prevents all sort of grief from the law.

At first thought, the seat belt law appears to be like the helmet law - a nanny state thing making you do the right thing for yourself, without any impact on others (bit like making it law to eat 5 a day). But in fact there is a good reason for others to insist that you wear it, because when you crash it will cost us taxpayers a lot more to stitch you up at the NHS if you are stuck half way through the windscreen.

I don't even notice putting my belt on, it's so instinctive. Motor programming at its best.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 00:19
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
sorry scottie,b

Pick which of the following is most / least annoying

1) beep beep beep beep
2) putting your seat belt on
3) being scraped up off the road after the idiot behind rear ends you at 30mph not having realised you were stopping at the roundabout
4) beep beep beep beep followed by whah whah, whah whah, blue lights and a fine cos the copper saw you with no belt on
5) when claiming against the insurance of the other car for your broken ribs, shattered knees and smashed ankles - 'oh, sorry sir, you weren't wearing a belt? - I'm afraid that counts as contributory cause on your part - here is a cheque for £3'
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 01:52
Kids use a lot of space

Whilst it can be annoying, it's a feature that should be used to protect yourself.
Modern cars have a lot of protective features that make us feel safe and invincible when driving, would you want to switch your abs. srs off?
Whilst this is true they do work as a system, removing one (the seatbelt for example) makes the others work less efficently.
In a crash the belt stops you moving forward and hitting the steering wheel (no surprise there); but in doing this it gets you far enough back from the airbag for it to fire and slow you down. If you have no belt on first you'd wrap around the steering wheel, then if you're lucky get fired back into the seat by the airbag. Of course everyone hope this won't happen to them, but you never know.
As is hinted here there are ways to get round the beeping, but as it's a law to wear a belt then it's far safer to do so.
I remember a few years ago (nearly 20 actually!) Automatic seat belts were around which gave the driver no choice but to wrapped in. Luckily these didn't take off, imagine how you'd feel having no choice but to wear one.
For the bike riders here, would you go out without a helmet? I for one wouldn't.

Personally I've only had one accident where the belt was tested, not severely but enough to make you think.
Have a look at some NCAP video's and decide, loads to choose from so try these or do a search of your own.
http://www.renault.co.uk/Safety_Video_NCAP.aspx
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/190862...r_crash_tests/
http://paultan.org/archives/2005/10/...ssenger-cabin/
http://www.aamotoringtrust.com/index...&category=Road

Best step off the soap box and stop being so serious this late
Just my opinion of course and it's each to their own.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 07:17
Smell My Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy

I don't even notice putting my belt on, it's so instinctive. Motor programming at its best.
I would agree, I even put mine on before I turn the key, completely removes the beep beep sound. Just need to sort the beep beep for the "you've left your keys in" I know, or at least I will the minute I try and lock the car.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz

there is no swtich or knob to turn off any safety feature of the car , i'm afraid.

The only know how i know is to wear the seat belt whist driving. [/list]
Sorry Jazz, but you can turn off the VSA, which is a safety feature!

Not that it really needs any more votes, but I have to side with the 'wear your belt' gang, it only takes one thing to go wrong to make you wish you wore your belt. It isn't worth the risk really.

I like the fact the car also beeps if any passengers remover their belts when the car is moving. We often take my girlfiends kid sisters out for day trips, and It is nice to know they are stapped in, and that I would know if one of them decided to take the belt off one day.

I took my old Civic to a garage to get the brakes looked at, as they were squeaking, and the chap took it for a spin to listen to the brakes. When he got back he said "I had to put the ****ing belt on, the car wouldn't stop beeping at me!" like it was my fault!

I don't really get wound up by drivers not wearing belts, it's their decision, and they know the risks. I hate seeing children not wearing belts, walking around the car, and hanging out of windows. That is so irresponsible
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 08:32

Story in Mail this week. Woman driving 400 yards home from petrol station. Young daughter stood in passenger

footwell. Involved in crash, airbag goes off. Daughter dead.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 08:42
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfa7
Story in Mail this week. Woman driving 400 yards home from petrol station. Young daughter stood in passenger footwell. Involved in crash, airbag goes off. Daughter dead.

I often think that we don't need protecting from our own stupidity.

This story, once again, proves me wrong.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 08:45

Seat Belt Warning

It takes about two seconds to put on a seat belt.....

I'd rather look through the windscreen than be wearing it
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 08:51

Even though it is not related in any way, it reminds me of a story I heard of a mother who parked her baby's pram/puschair in front of the car, which was about 3 or 4 feet from the wall of their house. She went to start the car for whatever reason before putting the child in, not knowing that she had parked the car in gear. All I am going to say is that the car ended up againt the wall, and it ended tragically.

On topic with inrestrained things, I remeber driving behind a car driven by, um, older perople, with a small dog on the parcel shelf on a tartan blanket . The car braked for a roundabout, not hard, and the dog carried on. blanket with him. What made it even funnier is that th eold lady in the passenger seat just glanced round at the dog, now in ther rear footwell or on the back seat, then turned back round completely not bothered. It must be a regular occurence in the car... I got me thinking, that dog would be a furry missile of the car stopped quickly.

On the topic of beeping things, I wish my car didn't beep when the ignition is in the car and the door is open. I like sitting in my car with door open and radio on when I am cleaning it or vacing it out.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 09:03
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I do wish the beeper came on once the car moves forward rather than when you start the engine, mind.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 20:15

If its good enough for those do gooder racing drivers to wear one, its good enough for me.

Pesky racers taking it all too seriously

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page