Battery Battery failed test: old age or under-used? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 29th January 2014, 17:55 Thread Starter

Battery failed test: old age or under-used?

I had my five-year-old Civic 1.8 serviced yesterday and asked for a new battery to be fitted - not that I had had any problems with the old one, but I'm probably keeping the car for another three years and I reckoned there was a very good (bad?) chance that I would need a replacement during that time, and probably at an awkward moment.

As it happened. the garage tested the old one and confirmed that it needed replacing, so that's one decision of mine that proved correct.

It's only an idle thought, but I presume that the garage test would denote if the battery was in terminal decline - and that it wouldn't be fooled by the fact that during winter I only use the car for very short, battery-unfriendly trips? (Last winter, my usage was the same as this, and the test 12 months ago found the battery to be OK).

Marlburian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 29th January 2014, 21:44

Car: Civic Type S-GT, Bronze
To be honest batteries are only meant to last around 5 years before they should be replaced, I'd say that as long as the car is being used for >10 minutes every 2 days then the battery should be in decent condition.

For 40 or so it's better to be safe then sorry when your car doesn't start and have to get the jumps out!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10th February 2014, 11:13
Obsessive Modder

Car: 2008 1.8 Type S GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlburian View Post
I had my five-year-old Civic 1.8 serviced yesterday and asked for a new battery to be fitted - not that I had had any problems with the old one, but I'm probably keeping the car for another three years and I reckoned there was a very good (bad?) chance that I would need a replacement during that time, and probably at an awkward moment.

As it happened. the garage tested the old one and confirmed that it needed replacing, so that's one decision of mine that proved correct.

It's only an idle thought, but I presume that the garage test would denote if the battery was in terminal decline - and that it wouldn't be fooled by the fact that during winter I only use the car for very short, battery-unfriendly trips? (Last winter, my usage was the same as this, and the test 12 months ago found the battery to be OK).

Marlburian
Battery

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page