Add-on nav Non Honda sat nav - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 20:41 Thread Starter

Non Honda sat nav

Hi all , i have never had sat nav and dont know much about them , i am thinking of getting this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...464635?ie=UTF8
i have a palm PDA at the moment so decided to stick with palm as i can transfer the files to the new one easily .
anyone know if its any good or can give me any advice ??
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 20:56

fusion1296 - if you search for TomTom I think you'll find that its a big thumbs up on this forum. I currently run TomTom 5 on my HP iPAQ and it is brilliant. Is the link for a new Palm plus the software and a GPS receiver ? If you already have a Palm you only need to buy the software and a GPS receiver.

This site has a lot of information --> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 22:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

HI Newboy,
thanks for you very quick reply , the link is £300 for the lots , softward PDA and receiver , i only have a Palm Zire so wont be able to use that so a good excuse to get a new PDA at the same time .
the link is for a Palm TX and TomTOM 5 but i beleive the reciever is a palm one, (hard wiired) not the TomTom BT one ?? not 2 sure really
thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 9th September 2006, 22:15

No probs. Just had a look and it seems to be a bluetooth GPS unit !!

Box Contents

Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Recharging cable for smartphone & GPS Receiver

Cigarette lighter adapter

Vehicle device cradle with windshield mounting bracket & suction cup pad

TomTom Navigation Software 5 and the maps of the UK preinstalled on a memory card

Had a quick look around and not many places seem to do that model so don't know if you can get it any cheaper.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 08:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

hi Newboy,
thanks for your help, with me being new to sat nav , is it ok that the software is preinstalled on the card ? what happens if the card dies , should it not be on CD or something for backup ? or can i back it up of the card to my PC like i do my other Apps on my Palm ?
the price seems quite good to me , i could get the TX on its own for about £180 so that means i am getting the TomTom 5 for about £120 which seems quite good?

thanks again for your help
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 10:29
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
If you need Satnav all of the time, ie. it needs to be usable and reliable alot; then get a satnav unit (like the tomtom one)
Both me and my father have PDA's with Satnav and the number of times we've both had to go back to maps (not often admitidally; but sometimes) where my sister has TomTom One and she's never had a problem with the unit!

They're £180 from Currys online at the moment I think; the Garmin is £120
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 12:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

HI generationgav,
thanks for the advice , i will be using it probably max 2-3 journeys a week and also in both the car and a van so it needs to be portable i also need a new PDA so thought the above would be best ?? its very diffucult to decide i belive the option you are saying would be best but not as flexable ?
thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 18:27
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion1296
HI generationgav,
thanks for the advice , i will be using it probably max 2-3 journeys a week and also in both the car and a van so it needs to be portable i also need a new PDA so thought the above would be best ?? its very diffucult to decide i belive the option you are saying would be best but not as flexable ?
thanks
As it said; it just depends on your requirements. My PDA/TomTom option works pretty well for me to be honest; it works 99% of the time, I can use it as a PDA but also as a satnav when needed; it's also for me quite a neat solution as I have the bluetooth reciever in the boot so I just stick the PDA in.
The thing is; when it goes wrong which it sometimes does (and did this morning ironically) it can take a while to fix; this morning I went on a whim and left without it (the PDA and Bluetooth reciever decided to unpair themselves!) but if it was importantly needed then I couldn't have used it, so it all depends how reliable you NEED it to be. If it's important it works 100% of the time immediatly then the PDA route isn't the best way, however the PDA route is more convinient as you have a pda too!

Sorry, I rambled a bit there; but hope I explained myself somehow!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 21:15

fusion1296 - I think its only the maps that are preinstalled on the SD card. As you say the software will most likely come on a CD which you'll need to load onto the Palm via a PC. I'd also guess there is a backup of the maps on a CD in case the card goes faulty.

I don't use my PDA for sat-nav that often and I have a GPS compact flash receiver so it plugs into my iPAQ and I don't have any of the Bluetooth pairing issues generationgav mentions but I have had no problems whatsoever when I have used it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 21:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

HI , yes i agree , a decision between realiability and having a pda / sat nav .
do you have the tomtom bluetooth receiver Mk 11 ?? i am goign to try to get that one i think the kit from amazon is a palm receiver but not sure that is so good ?
thanks again
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10th September 2006, 23:35
Supporter

Quote:
do you have the tomtom bluetooth receiver Mk 11 ?? i am goign to try to get that one i think the kit from amazon is a palm receiver but not sure that is so good ?
thanks again
I have a third party Bluetooth reciever and purchased the software on it's own as it worked out cheaper as I got a good deal.

It's never TomTom or the reciever I have issues with; it's usually the PDA software or battery! If my batt gets low then it starts to play up as Bluetooth will disable itself.

Also TomTom 6 is going to be out within the next month, so it could be worth waiting for that.

I'd advise you to look at PocketGPS World (TomTom Forum) as there's some clever guys on there who will be able to answer you pretty much anything.[/url]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th September 2006, 07:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by generationgav
Quote:
thanks again
I have a third party Bluetooth reciever and purchased the software on it's own as it worked out cheaper as I got a good deal.

It's never TomTom or the reciever I have issues with; it's usually the PDA software or battery! If my batt gets low then it starts to play up as Bluetooth will disable itself.

Also TomTom 6 is going to be out within the next month, so it could be worth waiting for that.

I'd advise you to look at PocketGPS World (TomTom Forum) as there's some clever guys on there who will be able to answer you pretty much anything.[/url]

thanks will have a look there , i am thinking it will be cheaper to get the bits on there own .
thanks

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page