2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

OBDII reader wont connect to our 2007 ctdi

Electrics 
15K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Trabant Dave 
#1 ·
we have a 2007 Civic ctdi sport with an OBDII socket. there are currently no lights on the dash but i was just trying to be nosey and see if any past codes are stored on the cars ECU. i have a reader that connects fine to my Accord ctdi 2004 but when i tried it on the civic it wouldnt connect.....

any ideas or have Honda tweaked the port so only they can read it?

ive read about the bluetooth smartphone app but will it connect to my car as i dont think we have bluetooth built it? do we?

#5 ·
it lights up and starts to do something then a progression bar gets about half way accross and it says cannot connect.....

with my Accord its connected and reading within seconds!

#6 ·
ive had mine about 4 years now. its an Autel scanner, i got it from ebay and its worked on every car ive tried so far except the Civic. its worked on Volvo, Subaru, my Accord and a Ford so far with no issues!

#4 ·
The bluetooth app requires you to use a Bluetooth OBDII reader - basically so you don't need to connect to a computer or other reader device. It doesn't connect via the car's bluetooth.

#7 ·
yes ive just looked into this a bit more and realised this:oops:

#8 ·
i have just been reading on a Mercedes forum that their scanner port is connected to the cig lighter fuse and if its blown then an OBDII reader will not connect. ill check the fuse when my wife gets back to see if this is the same on the Civic. we have never used the cig lighter socket so couldnt say if its working or not...

#9 ·
well the cig lighter is fully operational so thats not the cause. although i didnt think it would be somehow....

my scanner is the Autel MS509 has anyone else used this on their Civics?

#11 · (Edited)
i think i may have to but which one?

can people confirm which scanners work on their Civics please? i would prefer a non bluetooth one tbh if poss....

ive also emailed Autel to see what they say about it. ill post their reply if/when i get one

#13 ·
just been and tried this with no success im afraid... what Maxiscan do you have? is it the same model?

i tried plugging it in then turning on the ignition, turning on the ignition then plugging it in. both didnt work! the connector is pushed on as far as it will go so its fully on. i guess the scanner doesnt like my car:mad:

#16 ·
ordered lets hope it works on mine....

#19 · (Edited)
got a reply today from Autel -

Dear Matthew,

I am afraid we do not sell the ms509 in the UK via Autel UK.

We have not sold these tools for 2 years now and all our authorised dealers have not sold these for quite a while.

Does your tool have a eu sticker on the rear and come in a red and black box?

If the box was silver and black then it will be a fake tool I am afraid.

If the box is red and black then it is a grey import with only support from Autel China.

My advice is to return the tool as it should connect to a 2007 Honda with no problems.

Yours sincerely,
Nicholas Goodman
Head of support

ive had my scanner about 4.5 years but looking it doesnt have an EU sticker on the back. the sticker says Maxiscan MS509 Patents Pending..... what do other have on theirs?

#20 ·
a bit of research seems to have concluded that my scanner is infact a chinese import..... i just plugged it into my car and went into the menu to find the tool information. here is what i got -

so if anyone else has this serial number etc they also have a chinese grey imported scanner. it still works but it wont cover the amount of cars a european model will. so i guess i have my answer as to why it doesnt connect.....

#22 ·
its very odd that it works on my Accord ctdi but not my civic ctdi. it has worked on my neighbours Volvo, my old Subaru Impreza, a mates Ford Focus and my current Accord. im going to take the Civic to my mates garage and get him to plug his scanner in to see if it works, this will eliminate a faulty port. ive also ordered the smaller Autel scanner from Amazon the MS309 which has worked with a few members on here. im guessing this will be a grey import as well but if it works then i dont care tbh....

#25 ·
well the new scanner has arrived today so as soon as the wife is home ill see if it works......

fingers crossed!

#28 ·
Hi all, where's the OBDII port located?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
in the drivers fotwell, looking up towards the centre console, right? Haha

#29 ·
the new scanner connects and reads the Civic and Accords ECU... very strange but it seems the cheaper scanner suits both of our cars. it displayed no stored codes so thats all good.

i believe that the new scanner the Autel MS309 is also a grey import but it works and connects so who cares......???? and only £13 which is a bargain.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.