Battery Battery - Genuine or other - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th March 2014, 09:55 Thread Starter

Battery - Genuine or other

Hi all,

I'm going to replace my battery. Does it go without saying that it's best to get the official Honda part? Or are there better brands worth using instead. e.g. I saw a Bosch battery on eurocarparts. Not much difference in price so just trying to go for the best one, long lasting, reliable etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th March 2014, 10:03
Supporter

Car: 2007 FN3 2.2 CDTI Type S
Just done the same mate, got the Bosch one from eco with 3 year warranty iirc. Can't go far wrong
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th March 2014, 14:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nice one cheers. The Honda battery is on sale, making it about the same price as the Bosch. Still go for the Bosch one do you reckon?!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 5th March 2014, 17:03
Supporter

Car: 58 1.8 Type-S GT
Am I right in thinking its the Bosch S4? If so this is a good price

Bosch S4 Car Battery Type 063 (4 Year Guarantee) | eBay
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th March 2014, 13:37

I ordered the BOSCH last month, works fine for my Type-R, only problem I had was with the positive terminal connector; it is literally 0.5 - 1mm too loose; so I just duct taped it down; to stop it from "bouncing" off whilst driving. Probably just a really bad combo with my specific car + the specific battery I received from ECP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchthefool View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to replace my battery. Does it go without saying that it's best to get the official Honda part? Or are there better brands worth using instead. e.g. I saw a Bosch battery on eurocarparts. Not much difference in price so just trying to go for the best one, long lasting, reliable etc.

Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th March 2014, 13:55
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,266 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charsiu View Post
I ordered the BOSCH last month, works fine for my Type-R, only problem I had was with the positive terminal connector; it is literally 0.5 - 1mm too loose; so I just duct taped it down; to stop it from "bouncing" off whilst driving. Probably just a really bad combo with my specific car + the specific battery I received from ECP.
Having a loose connection like that would really worry me... the connection needs to be spot-on, otherwise you will definitely have starting problems one day.

When I recently needed a new battery for my diesel Accord (same one as the diesel Civic) an OEM battery from Honda (made by Delphi/Johnson) was actually cheaper than I could get a Bosch S5 for, and the specs (Ah and CCA rating) were identical... So I got one from Honda.

I often hear of people having problems with how badly the Bosch ones sometimes fit. And I would definitely avoid getting a battery that had terminals that were too small.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th March 2014, 14:54
Supporter

Car: 06 Type-S GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by charsiu View Post
I have the same problem with the Bosch one I bought, but I did manage to get it a tight fit in the end with some brute force. That being said, if I bought again I'd just get Honda as it does make me a little uneasy that it's not a great fit.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th March 2014, 15:26

Sounds like it could be a common issue, then of course go for a Honda battery - would of done the same had I known.

Fixing it isn't a difficult job; just need to either brute force it like you did, or just get the terminal cable changed. Will request that on it's next service!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th March 2014, 17:57
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 Type S GT 3 door
Try this website it might help you Varta Blue Car Battery / Varta Batteries / Battery

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page