Electrics Boot interior light problem - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th March 2014, 12:17 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 2.2 EX, Black
Boot interior light problem

Hello all!

My boot light stopped working and I really don't know why, my tailgate lights are working and I assume they use the same fuse? or am I wrong? Is there anyway I can pin point where the fault is??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th March 2014, 12:45
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Could be the bulb, check this first by swapping with another bulb from either no. Plate or sidelights as they are the same fitment.

JP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th March 2014, 12:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Could be the bulb, check this first by swapping with another bulb from either no. Plate or sidelights as they are the same fitment.

JP
Yeah I have tried changing few bulbs, I took the whole light out then replaced the bulb, no luck.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th March 2014, 22:40
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.8i Navi, White
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietse91 View Post
Hello all!

My boot light stopped working and I really don't know why, my tailgate lights are working and I assume they use the same fuse? or am I wrong? Is there anyway I can pin point where the fault is??

Thanks
Try under bonnet fuse no. 17. The interior lights and vanity lights are on the same fuse
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th April 2014, 13:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I found out the problem was the actual unit itself, narrowed it down to the diode being the fault? The little black thing in the unit.

So I stripped the wires and installed LED strips instead, now they are very dim, like not enough power going in, anyone has this problem too? (It's not the LED fault as i've tested it and they are fine.

Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 29th August 2014, 16:12
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door, NHB
Quote:
I found out the problem was the actual unit itself, narrowed it down to the diode being the fault? The little black thing in the unit.

So I stripped the wires and installed LED strips instead, now they are very dim, like not enough power going in, anyone has this problem too? (It's not the LED fault as i've tested it and they are fine.

Thanks
Did you get to the bottom of this? Measured the voltage going to the boot light unit and it's only 8-9 volts rather than 12 volt.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 6th February 2015, 23:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nope I didn't,

Few day ago I bought a 18LED boot light from aurorabulbs and it still doesn't work. I'm 100% sure it's something to do with the circuit, it's been broken since march and it's really annoying that I can't see anything when getting stuff from my boot.

I've checked fuse 17(Interior light) and that light is perfectly fine, all the interior lights are working, even the cig socket in the boot is working. At first i wasn't sure if it was the light unit or not.

Can someone please help? When I tried wiring a LED strip onto it, it's really really dim. Is there something wrong?

Will fuse 14 or 15 Interior fuse box affect it?

Thanks!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th February 2015, 19:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Can anyone help? It's not reading 12V, but all interior lights work!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11th February 2015, 18:25
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX
If its not reading 12v, you may have a bad connection on one of the wires,

Place a voltmeter between the +12v on the light and an earth elsewhere and see what voltage you get.
Also check the resistance between the earth on the light and an earth elsewhere. you should be able to work out if there's a problem with the wiring from this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11th February 2015, 19:12
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
something wrong with the sensor that detects when the boot is open and powers up the boot light? for a guess
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th February 2015, 12:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'll check the wires later, when I open the boot a notification pops up on my dash. Which means the sensors are fine right?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2015, 13:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It's returning around 3-4V, I believe the wires might be corroded, does anyone know how I can access the wires so I can check them out?

Thanks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th November 2015, 09:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

After 2 hours in Honda they told me there is a problem with the ECU and I would need to send it in for repairs, probably going to cost 400....

They offered me a cheaper option, 89 which is to install a manual switch next to the unit so I toggle it on and off and save 300!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th November 2015, 09:20
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,163 Times in 3,859 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
An ECU controls the boot light, really?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th November 2015, 14:27
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.8 Si, Millano Red
Quote:
After 2 hours in Honda they told me there is a problem with the ECU and I would need to send it in for repairs, probably going to cost 400....

They offered me a cheaper option, 89 which is to install a manual switch next to the unit so I toggle it on and off and save 300!

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. I bet they don't want to chase out the wires to find out where there's a high resistive joint... I'd go to another Honda garage and see what they say. With electrics, it tends to be a termination has corroded or come loose normally. The weakest link is always the connections. You could strip back the boot liner to check the wiring and take out the boot switch to see if that's at fault. I could understand the boot switch going to the ecu to tell it wether it's open or not, but I'd doubt it supplying the lamp with 12V. Get a second opinion buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2015, 19:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

They gave me a discount as I've paid for the labour before or something, 78 in total with a switch...

I tested it myself and it was showing around 6V. I'm not sure how to strip it down so I just paid for the switch, been too long without a light!

I'm not too happy with the switch and if I forget to turn it off it'll drain all my battery, but for now, I can say it's all fixed! Although I doubt the ECU will give it an extra 6V to make it 12... When I open the boot my dash says my boot is open, I assume all the sensors are fine, I guess you're right that there might be corrosion to some wire between the battery and the light unit.

P.S. they gave me a free light unit too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska_soundie View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. I bet they don't want to chase out the wires to find out where there's a high resistive joint... I'd go to another Honda garage and see what they say. With electrics, it tends to be a termination has corroded or come loose normally. The weakest link is always the connections. You could strip back the boot liner to check the wiring and take out the boot switch to see if that's at fault. I could understand the boot switch going to the ecu to tell it wether it's open or not, but I'd doubt it supplying the lamp with 12V. Get a second opinion buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
boot light , electronic , fault , interior light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page