2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Satnav display on EX question

Satnav 
5K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Jack The Lad. 
#1 ·
Hi all. Recently bought a Civic EX. While impressed with the sat nav obviously don't need it all the time (I know the way to work, thanks). So, as an experiment, didn't press the ENT button to show the map when the Sat Nav started up the other day. After a while the screen turned itself off. "Excellent!" I thought, until the windows started to fog up. Couldn't tell what mode, etc I had the heater/AC on cos the information is on the Sat Nav screen, which was off. I had to bring up the Sat Nav to be sure of what I was doing with the heater controls. My question is- can you get the screen to come on & display something other than the Sat Nav map, the radio information for example? Thanks to anyone who can help.

#3 ·
Thanks. I ws hoping there would be a way to set it to just display that when the key is turned without having to press anything.

#12 ·
True. Does the climate control drain more power/use more fuel? I always found with my '03 Type S that with the cc set to auto I seemed to use more petrol? Thanks for all the responses guys.

#5 ·
How do you get rid of the annoying press enter to confirm acceptance, surely you can get round this??? (There was a thread I though but can't now find it.)

Tom

#7 ·
It is annoying though isn't it!, I hate it, I really do, I'm not a moron and I don't think I have be reminded everytime I drive not to take my eyes of the road, the glovebox and boot don't come with similar warnings.

ATB,
Tom

#8 ·
it is annoying but is it really that much of a pain? on the grand scheme of things i dont think its worth the time spent to find out if its possible to bipass

i find it more of a pain when passengers sit in the front and start pushing the buttons assuming they know exactly what each button does, but alas they dont and annoy me (they are now banned from touching the dash)

#9 ·
By that poit though no one would ever have climbed everest or discovered America (fair enough on the second one, you may have a point [smilie=cheeky-grin:), but surely, because it's there is enough reason!!??

Tom :)

#10 ·
for the point of proving to honda the europeans arnt stupid, its worth it true

although i was recently in an american civic coupe with satnav, and i dont remember the warning screen when starting the car...i think they put the feature on the wrong continent

#11 ·
It because they don't expect the owners to read....... oooooh bit too far, lol ;-)

Tom

#19 ·
44mpg? I'm lucky if mine reads more than 36mpg for any length of time. Although I'm sure my driving style has more than a little to do with that [smilie=cheeky-grin:

#14 ·
The "Press Enter" screen is required by law, so there is no way around it.

It is basically you taking responsibility for using the Sat Nav while driving etc as that screen states you should only operate it whilst parked!

It does pee me off though having to do it each time!

#15 ·
Guess we can blame our American cousins for this, what with all the litigation etc Honda need to cover themselves... Remember the case of someone suing a microwave oven manufacturer? The user used the oven for drying off her cat which subsequently died! She successfully sued as there was no warning of drying pets in the owners handbook!!!

Cheers,

Bob...

#20 ·
Correct

My daily journey at the stupid times of day before you lot are awake takes in 95% of dual carriageways and motorways. I hardly stop or even get below 50mph on my way into the workhouse.

My journey home is not too bad on most days either.

In every car I've had since doing this journey I've always managed to beat the manufacturers figures by about 4 or 5mpg. Not with the Civic though, always under what they reckon.

I reckon the trip comp is sniffing the exhaust fumes too much !

#21 ·
Trying to think what the Sat Nav is actually useful for?

If I want to go somewhere, I usually know where I want to go already, and in which direction to travel to find it!

If on the very odd occasion I don't know where I going , the UK road network seems have got a clever idea of putting signs by the side of the road in case you want to know where you are going, or even assist you in which direction to go.

Of course if you're rich, like me, you can spend £1200 or so, and get a machine to guide you down a country road that has no passing places or the quickest way to MacDonalds in Calais!

Feel better now!

......pssst, any offers for Millie's one?

"Never trust a woman who tells you her real age.
A woman who tells you that, would not be able to keep a secret!"

#22 ·
My Dad needed one today :(

Having driven from North Cornwall to South Wales (to visit Ikea and as an excuse to pop in to see me :D), he was supposed to be here at 10:30.
Ikea is 2 miles from my house...

11:00 "Hi, erm, I'm parked outside the Railway Inn - I got a bit lost getting out of Ikea"
Multimap shows my Dad has headed in cmpletly the wrong direction...
11:30 "Hi, erm, now I'm parked in a BMW garage"

11:45 TTDegs also arrives in BM Garage, and Dad now follows me home :lol:

#24 ·
Sat nav certainly has it's pros & cons. On holiday in Cornwall last year my old HP sat nav provided many humourous moments. Going down lanes where the hedges hit the wing mirrors to find a Land Rover coming the other way, annoucing from out of nowhere "Turn right now!" while travelling at 60mph, etc... But we couldn't have done without it, we'd have never found our way back to the cottage in the middle of nowhere each day without it.

#27 ·
2 weeks to go before I get my EX however had a GPS for a couple of years now. Used it last year for a drive from Saint Malo to Saintes and it was magic, beats falling out with the Navigator (Er indoors) anytime so well worth the money...[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:

#26 ·
I rarely plot a route with mine but every work day I can see from a distance whether the M25 has any problems. I have my scale set to 1 mile which alows me to see the M25 from about 6 miles away.

I can break off well before and take the back route whereas before I only got to see the traffic when almost on top of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.