Satnav Satnav and unnamed roads. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th September 2006, 10:29 Thread Starter

Satnav and unnamed roads.

Has anyone had this problem?

The satnav will navigate you to an unnamed road, but it will not, perversely, navigate you from one.

My office is on a business park. The satnav knows the post code but not the name of the road it is on. It will take me there no problem, but if I then tell it to "go home" it can't, and suggests I try again from another location. If I go 100 metres down the road to a named road, hey presto, it can navigate me.

Is this one of the annoying minor shortcomings of the software? (I wish they used TomTom's software instead)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th September 2006, 10:36
Supporter

When I'm 'off road' I can still enter an address, she then says "Please proceed to the highlighted route".
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th September 2006, 10:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I've had the "proceed to the highlighted route", but that may only be when the nearest road is named.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 15th September 2006, 22:28
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Never had the problem. I am often up to 3/4 mle off a named road and always get the "proceed to the highlighted route" message.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th September 2006, 08:18
Supporter

If you are on a Business Park are you surrounded by tall metal clad 'sheds'? Or, is there a tall mobile phone/communications mast ? I've heard both of these can block the incoming signal from the Satellite. I believe it needs three signals to locate your position and if just one of these is blocked it can't operate properly.

Just a thought.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 16th September 2006, 22:44
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
If you are on a Business Park are you surrounded by tall metal clad 'sheds'? Or, is there a tall mobile phone/communications mast ? I've heard both of these can block the incoming signal from the Satellite. I believe it needs three signals to locate your position and if just one of these is blocked it can't operate properly.

Just a thought.

Mine works when parked up in the garage that is integral with the house with a bedroom above it. The SatNav is equipped with a yaw sensor and a speed sensor so that when the satellite signal is temporally lost the system can approximate distance and turns, in effect it should always know where you are.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 00:02
Supporter

Yes, mine does as well. I was thinking of bigger buildings ('sheds') made of metal girders and cladding.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 00:05
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Yes, mine does as well. I was thinking of bigger buildings ('sheds') made of metal girders and cladding.
Alan, do you not think that the yaw and speed sensors should still allow the system to know where it is and then plot a route from that or the nearest named road position?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 09:15
Supporter

Hi Woolyciv, yes I'm sure you're right, it was just a thought on my part. Maybe Skinhead could get a colleague with sat-nav (preferably another Civic) to try theirs from the same location, or get his dealer involved.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 10:21
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
Most inbuilt Satnavs don't have the same problem of getting a signal before lettting you plan you route as they rember where they were when turned off, and know in most cases thats where they are when they are turned on. Will be interesting to see how mine is on Tuesday! It's comming down from Notingham on a transported so when I turn it on its going to have a bit of a shock. Might get the *** screen
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 17:35
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Had a good LOL at first but - read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldax View Post
Most inbuilt Satnavs don't have the same problem of getting a signal before lettting you plan you route as they rember where they were when turned off, and know in most cases thats where they are when they are turned on. Will be interesting to see how mine is on Tuesday! It's comming down from Notingham on a transported so when I turn it on its going to have a bit of a shock. Might get the *** screen

(Just been told this,the two smilies, is too short a message and to lengthen it to at least 10 characters )

Last edited by WoolyCiv; 17th September 2006 at 17:40. Reason: The smilies have dissapeared and won't return ;-(
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 18:03
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Wooly - the 10 character limit is now lifted. Dunno where the smilies went - did they just roll away??
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 18:26

returning on the M6 this afternoon, the sat-nav tried to send me off onto the A34 Stone in Staffs. We thought it had flipped its lid, until further up the M6 we were stopped a few times, in heavy traffic. So the TMC does work.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 21:42
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Wooly - the 10 character limit is now lifted. Dunno where the smilies went - did they just roll away??

I think maybe they did and keep doing . They appear in the 'Reply to Thread' edit window but disappear once the message is posted.

See http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthr...?t=1221&page=3
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th September 2006, 23:31
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfa7 View Post
returning on the M6 this afternoon, the sat-nav tried to send me off onto the A34 Stone in Staffs. We thought it had flipped its lid, until further up the M6 we were stopped a few times, in heavy traffic. So the TMC does work.
There's an option in there somewhere to either 'auto re-route' or 'prompt'

Couple of times mine has come up saying something like 'M4 jnc1, 4 miles stationary - reoute?'
But the detour was a nightmare, so I didn't, and actually the jam wasn't too bad.

Long waffle (again!) - it seems pretty good at spotting jams, be can be a bit pesimistic about how big they are
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 09:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The car's satnav knows where it is, as I move around the car park the current location pointer moves too. This is a fancy business park, no high buildings, it's all green and leafy, so nothing blocking reception.

I'll hunt around the car park to see if anyone else has a Civic.

I used to use a TomTom and it didn't have this problem.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 02:46
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Hope its maps better than tom toms there were crap mine keep trying to send me down one way streets and did u hear about that stream somewere down south tom tom keep telling pepole to turn of a minor road stright down a slipway in to the water lol , does the sat nav know were fixed speed cams are ????
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 22:16
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
Hope its maps better than tom toms there were crap mine keep trying to send me down one way streets and did u hear about that stream somewere down south tom tom keep telling pepole to turn of a minor road stright down a slipway in to the water lol , does the sat nav know were fixed speed cams are ????

There is no facility for warniing of speed cameras at all with the civic satnav.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 08:02
Smell My Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
I heard something about a woman who drove through a ford (small river not the car) and got the car flooded, when asked why she went through it she said that her SatNav said it was okay.

Reminds me of a story an old boy told me at work, sorry if I am repeating myself. When they were oldis teenagers they lived near a ford, which quote often flooded, so they bought a Mini (yes the car not the small river, oh wait that only works with Fords), and when the ford was in flood they would reverse the Mini down into the edge of the water, wait for a car to come the other way (spotted by lookouts round the corner) and when the car appeared they would drive the Mini out of the ford, your man coming round the corner assumes if a Mini can cross so can he, off he goes, gets flooded, and the guys are there to offer to push him out for some means of financial recompense.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page