VSA Vehicle Stability Assist - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 07:21 Thread Starter

Vehicle Stability Assist

Can someone please tell me how to operate the VSA control properly? We had a terrific snow storm in North Somerset last night. Our driveway is fairly steep, and although I had swept it of the snow, and it was not freezing, I found it very difficult to get our new (2006) Civic up the drive. The engine kept stalling, and the wheels were spinning. There was a burning smell, so I hope I have not done any damage to the gear box!?Previously, my wife had returned home, and had left the car in the road, because of the weather conditions, and had also experienced the same problem on the level. Should we have turned off the VSA in these circumstances/conditions, so as to give the car better grip up the drive? I only thought about the VSA afterwards, when I looked at the manual. Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 07:25
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
I had the same problem..Turn off the VSA and it will get up the drive.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can someone please tell me how to operate the VSA control properly? We had a terrific snow storm in North Somerset last night. Our driveway is fairly steep, and although I had swept it of the snow, and it was not freezing, I found it very difficult to get our new (2006) Civic up the drive. The engine kept stalling, and the wheels were spinning. There was a burning smell, so I hope I have not done any damage to the gear box!?Previously, my wife had returned home, and had left the car in the road, because of the weather conditions, and had also experienced the same problem on the level. Should we have turned off the VSA in these circumstances/conditions, so as to give the car better grip up the drive? I only thought about the VSA afterwards, when I looked at the manual. Any help or suggestions wouls be appreciated. Thank you.
VSA can be turned off, however traction control can't (that's what I've been told).

I don't think you can do anything about it. Sorry mate.

@robbo51: I hope you are right. I thought VSA's use was for keeping the car on the road

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 07:27
R - 11859

Car: 2008 Type R-GT Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You should have turned the vsa off in the snow because it works overtime to try to find grip when there is none. Same applies if you are in field.

The smell sounds like your clutch slipping. Not a good thing to do.
You'll be better leaving the car at the bottom of the drive or try a slower approach maybe in 2nd gear and not first, but try not to slip the clutch.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 07:57

Agreed. Turn it off. I sometimes do this myself for the few critical seconds when I need every bit of traction I can get.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 08:00
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
VSA works by cutting back power and selectively applying the brakes as it sees fit.
It does this under some sort of complex black magic, and is primarily designed to try and get you safely round a corner.

I've always been told (and do) turn it off in the snow, as it's one more thing which can get confused by what the car is doing, and it's actions may be contrary to what you want to happen.

As above, VSA off, 2nd gear, low ish revs, and don't slip the clutch, and you should be fine

In your particular case though, it's a balance between parking it on the drive (away from out of control drivers on the road, but hassle of having to clear the drive and negotiate back down it in the morning), or leaving it one road (less hassle, unless one of the above drivers smacks it...)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 08:07
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Never knew any of that so I am glad I read it - great info thanks.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 08:26

Also as the car id front wheel drive it will go up the slope much better in reverse (always better to back into your drive anyway )
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 08:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Smile Vehicle Stability Assist

Thank you all for your VERY helpful replies. I am sorry to labour the point, but are we saying that in VERY VERY wet weather or when the road is snowy and icy, we should always turn off the VSA? You can probably tell I am not very mechanically minded! Any further advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 08:52

No, I wouldn't do that - it's in these conditions the extra help to stabilise the car is most useful.
I only turn it off as a last resort when i sense the VSA is about to grind the car to a halt.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 09:50
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
At very slow speeds (pulling off / parking) in those conditions, I would turn VSA off.

At anything above those speeds I most definately make sure it was turned ON!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 10:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all. I think that has just about answered the question.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 10:52

Red face

After this morning's incident, thank god for vsa ! On the way to work, coming round the last corner, looked like a light covering of snow, probably only doing twenty, car starts to go sideways. Already in front of me is a car that's had the same problem ... Ford Focus.... not so lucky, pranged the side of the road with wheel off ! Managed to avoid this car by about a metre, vsa kicked in and got me in a straight line again, honestly thought it was going to be a trip to the repair shop !
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 16:35
Dandy Don

Not being with my car at the moment, I have a quick question.

Can I start moving without VSA enabled (in the snow) and turn it on while I am driving? Or would I need to stop?

Thanks

Stu
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 16:43
Civic's got Big Booty !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post

Can I start moving without VSA enabled (in the snow) and turn it on while I am driving? Or would I need to stop?

Thanks

Stu
You can turn it on or off either when standing still or moving, it makes no difference.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post

Thanks

Stu
That sounds good to me!

"He called me a fatalist.
But I've never collected a stamp in my life!"
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 16:49
R - 11859

Car: 2008 Type R-GT Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCivic View Post
After this morning's incident, thank god for vsa ! On the way to work, coming round the last corner, looked like a light covering of snow, probably only doing twenty, car starts to go sideways. Already in front of me is a car that's had the same problem ... Ford Focus.... not so lucky, pranged the side of the road with wheel off ! Managed to avoid this car by about a metre, vsa kicked in and got me in a straight line again, honestly thought it was going to be a trip to the repair shop !
That was lucky mate
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepCivic View Post

......and if they read what we think about Frauds Focus on this site they will say that you did it on purpose!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes, faster than any invention in human history.
With the possible exception of handguns and tequilla!"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 17:03

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrdaveg View Post
That was lucky mate
Yep think I'll be taking it a little easier tomorrow morning !

Have watched a few videos about VSA, but until it digs you out of a potential smash you dont really appreciate it !
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 4th March 2008, 18:15
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
More on the VSA here:
VSA - Civinfo Wiki

As said below, you can turn it on or off while on the move, but always keep it on unless your think you might get stuck in snow at slow speeds.

Thanks to FWH from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page