Automation Foot brake controls wipers? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th March 2008, 21:03 Thread Starter
Supporter

Foot brake controls wipers?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before or you guys already know this but....

I always though my intermittent wiper weren't really intermittent, it always seemed as if the timing was all out, and today I found out why.

It appears that when you have your intermittent wipers on, stationary and have your foot on the brake (Without the handbrake being applied!)and then release the foot brake your wipers wipe! I believe from my experimenting that it also works up to 5mph.

I can only assume that it's there as a safety thing so when you set off your windscreen is clear.

Good work Honda.

Last edited by JoeyF; 11th March 2008 at 22:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th March 2008, 22:18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before or you guys already know this but....

I always though my intermittent wiper weren't really intermittent, it always seemed as if the timing was all out, and today I found out why.

It appears that when you have your intermittent wipers on, staitionary and have your foot on the brake (Without the handbrake being applied!)and then release the foot brake your wipers wipe! I believe from my experimenting that it also works up to 5mph.

I can only assume that it's there as a safety thing so when you set off your windscreen is clear.

Good work Honda.
Clever thingie, I'll see if mine has that too
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11th March 2008, 23:18

Thanks - I'd spotted this 'strange' behaviour in our car too but could never quite fathom the combination of circumstances - you may have answered a 'conundrum' I'd forgotten I even had....

I did previously wonder whether this happens only when on a slow or even the slowest intermittent setting and I guess it won't happen at all for those with auto-wipers fitted ?

Someone kindly posted on another thread about heated rear windows the detailed technical conditions upon which they work, it would be nice to get a similar explanation here too I guess... although fairly esoteric (OK possibly sad) I'd admit.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 09:49
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
My understanding is:

when stationary, the wipers go into 'sleep' mode and don't wipe (dunno why though!)
As you are about to move (take your foot off the brake), they wake up and decide if they need to clear the screen so that you can see where you are going (handy!)

I'll play with the various options whilst waiting to pick the missus up this evening (if the predicted rain arrives )

Answers will be for auto wipers, if someone with manual intermittant wants to do the same?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 18:31
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Bardley
I have manual wipers and when at a stop the wipers only swipe every few seconds and when you take your foot off of the brake they do a quick swipe so you are clear for driving. I haven't paid much attention to what speed they start back at their set speed but I think it's around the 10mph mark.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 18:32
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
yes its in the manual about being linked to your brake pedal
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12th March 2008, 19:42
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
no rain, so couldn't try it

Type S above is completly correct though - manual pages 133/134

manual wipers on intermitent:
"If set to shortest delay, wipers will change to low speed operation over 12mph
While the vehicle is stopped and in gear the wipers will sweep whenever you take your foot off the brake"
Interestingly, on INT setting, the interval is varied according to the vehicle speed

Auto wipers:
"when in auto mode, it swtiches between Low, Int and High speeds by itself.
This function only works over 6mph"

doesn't mention the brake, but I'm pretty sure it works in the same way as manual
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 15th March 2008, 14:14

[quote=TTDegs;157243uto wipers:
"when in auto mode, it swtiches between Low, Int and High speeds by itself.
This function only works over 6mph"

doesn't mention the brake, but I'm pretty sure it works in the same way as manual [/quote]

Millie doesn't agree with that 6mph bit.

That's what it says in the book, but if there is rain on the screen, (the front one this time!), it'll start to wipe as soon as the Space Ship is started up.

Annoying really as I have to wipe the rear one, and at the same time, I try and do the 'edges' of the front one, but it can be dangerous with that 6' wiper heading in my direction!

"Some guy knocked on my door last night and asked if I could give him a push.
I asked him to wait outside while I got my coat on.
When I went outside I couldn't see him.
I called out 'Where are you?
He replied, Over here, I'm on the swing!"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 16th March 2008, 11:33
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
My understanding is:

when stationary, the wipers go into 'sleep' mode and don't wipe (dunno why though!)
As you are about to move (take your foot off the brake), they wake up and decide if they need to clear the screen so that you can see where you are going (handy!)

I'll play with the various options whilst waiting to pick the missus up this evening (if the predicted rain arrives )

Answers will be for auto wipers, if someone with manual intermittant wants to do the same?
My wipers definately wipe when I'm stationary. The difference here could be that you need to have the brake pedal pressed to suppress the wipers?

I'm a kind thoughtful person so I never sit at lights or in traffic blinding the person behind with my foot planted on the brake pedal
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 16th March 2008, 13:14
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Back on topic...

I have not been able to verify that my auto wipers are connected to the brake. Will keep testing.

Text colour posts now here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-su...ext-posts.html

Last edited by FWH; 16th March 2008 at 13:17.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 16th March 2008, 14:35
Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to dieseldriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Harding View Post
Millie doesn't agree with that 6mph bit.

That's what it says in the book, but if there is rain on the screen, (the front one this time!), it'll start to wipe as soon as the Space Ship is started up.

Annoying really as I have to wipe the rear one, and at the same time, I try and do the 'edges' of the front one, but it can be dangerous with that 6' wiper heading in my direction!
I have to agree c_h mine sometimes wipe without me touching the brake....or moving above 6mph when in Auto mode...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 21st March 2008, 21:39
Supporter

Thanks to JoeyF for spotting this wee hidden feature. I can't say that I was observant enough to notice it myself.

However a quick bit of experimentation (plenty of rain round here these days) confirms that, without auto wipers (mine ain't gottem), the intermittent still continues whilst stationary with foot brake, or handbrake applied.
On release of the foot brake or the handbrake the wipers give one sweep then settle down to the regular pattern.

Cool as all get out!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th November 2014, 13:11

Car: FN2
I'm looking for the electric schema or manual screen of this, because my Honda Dealer mechanic says it's not true, and therefore he will not repair this in my car.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th November 2014, 13:33
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Over my 8 years of Civic ownership spanning 3 models my auto wipers work intermittently when either of the brakes are on or off at rest.

They are slower to react because the rain is not as intense when stationary.

Mine have never stopped completely when stationary.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 17th November 2014, 13:47

Car: FN2
It worked with my Honda Accord 2000 also. wipers worked intermittently as standard, but when the foot brake was released or handbrake whipers started immediately.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page